New bull time

Help Support CattleToday:

Here are two sales coming up the next 2 weeks in Alabama, both selling Angus, Simmental and SimmAng bulls, One the 11th and the other the 18th. Just take a week off and come down to both of them. You can stay with @coachg some and @alacowman1 some! LOL People are right when they say that with your mixed breed cows, using a bwf Simm or a Black Hereford might get you a calf with too much chrome. Come down here and get you a good Angus or homo for black and polled Simm. When you run up on a Black Hereford cow you like, or a black baldy or bwf Simm cow that you like, you can breed them to one of these bulls and still get some white on the face. Don't you have a Hereford cow or two now? That week between, I will take you to the Tuesday FT Payne sale and the Thursday Gordon County sale. You can help me pin holster!! Put your bike on the trailer or in back of your truck, and we will do some riding. It is going to warm back up starting this weekend. What a vacation!!

Here are two sales coming up the next 2 weeks in Alabama, both selling Angus, Simmental and SimmAng bulls, One the 11th and the other the 18th. Just take a week off and come down to both of them. You can stay with @coachg some and @alacowman1 some! LOL People are right when they say that with your mixed breed cows, using a bwf Simm or a Black Hereford might get you a calf with too much chrome. Come down here and get you a good Angus or homo for black and polled Simm. When you run up on a Black Hereford cow you like, or a black baldy or bwf Simm cow that you like, you can breed them to one of these bulls and still get some white on the face. Don't you have a Hereford cow or two now? That week between, I will take you to the Tuesday FT Payne sale and the Thursday Gordon County sale. You can help me pin holster!! Put your bike on the trailer or in back of your truck, and we will do some riding. It is going to warm back up starting this weekend. What a vacation!!

That certainly sounds like a good time!
I could use a week or two off for sure. Just ain't gonna happen right away unfortunately.

Dinking around on Craigslist. Ran across this guy. I really like him. No. I've not contacted the owner.
View attachment 36853View attachment 36854
He is no Brangus, Not even a Brangus x Hereford or Angus x Braford, Too much white. Looks to me like a Black Braford. Might even be an f1 Black Hereford x Brahma, but not quiote enough ear. More like a true Black Braford.

Jeanne touched on the 'extra' white you might get with a WF Simmental over WF cows... and she's right, but in my experience, you can't count on the white face in Simmentals to transmit as reliably as the Hereford white face.
Last few Simmental AI sires we used were black whiteface or blaze-faced. Had several black cows with full white faces (and white udders) that we were really looking forward to getting BWF calves out of... but calves came out solid black-faced, or with just a few white hairs here and there - but white udders held pretty well.

I had a few solid-color cows that carried the spotting gene, but got more 'flowery' calves when they were bred to solid red Shorthorn sires than when bred even to traditional-colored RWF Fleckvieh sires.

The discussion about color would never have been voiced before CAB, and that's one of the reasons CAB is so damaging. Back in those days we were talking about conformation, muscle, length, square inches of rib-eye, double or smooth muscle... so the amount of product we could get from our breeding selection. Now it's all about color. And the cattle today, on average, show the results of the change in conversation. I can understand why the topics have changed... but the industry has lost something.

#22 and #23... not so much the others...
22 brought $3250. 23 brought $2750. 21 is about to sell. They are all 3 brothers, black and polled.
Edited: 16 brought $2500 and 21 brought $3k. 16 was homo black and polled as well. I bid $2k on each, but if I had been there with a trailer, I would have given what they brought for all 4. Dang ole mutt, grade, commercial.... "angus" or "hereford" bulls bring that much at the local cow sales these days.

Last edited:

There's at least 3 black bulls consigned. I'm sure there will be more. I'll keep checking in with them. The mud had slowed everyone down some. It took us 18 hours to get 30 head moved yesterday.... 🤪

What an ordeal. Took a versatile to pull us out all 3 times. Flat tires. Broken trailer connectors. Truck swaps. Lighting issues. By the time we got the cattle out and hauled to where the trucker was going to pick up, it was too late. He had another load already scheduled. So we hauled em all in seperate loads. Lots of fuel burned yesterday. And then the neighbors dog got ran over and killed late last night too. Good grief!

Latest posts