New bull time

Help Support CattleToday:

A little bit off subject here but wanted to share anyway.
Today they had 4 decent looking 1000lb bulls come thru a local sale. Two they called 2 yr olds. One 3yr old. One 4yr old. I almost pulled the trigger.
These brought less than 1.30 each. 1.25 was top if i remember correctly.

Rode the bike to the bigger sale in the afternoon. Watched a bit.
And I saw what I could've SWORN to be the same bulls!! sell for 1.79!!!
U could easily see the stickers had been pulled off the same side of the animal that I watched em stick them on at the prior sale. They sold as CALVES!!

At 1.25 those bulls made 500 bucks a head profit just hauling them 50 miles.....

I was more concerned looking at a potential herd bull to see that they were being stolen at the first sale! Gotta work on that. I won't let the guy steal the next ones.

A little bit off subject here but wanted to share anyway.
Today they had 4 decent looking 1000lb bulls come thru a local sale. Two they called 2 yr olds. One 3yr old. One 4yr old. I almost pulled the trigger.
These brought less than 1.30 each. 1.25 was top if i remember correctly.

Rode the bike to the bigger sale in the afternoon. Watched a bit.
And I saw what I could've SWORN to be the same bulls!! sell for 1.79!!!
U could easily see the stickers had been pulled off the same side of the animal that I watched em stick them on at the prior sale. They sold as CALVES!!

At 1.25 those bulls made 500 bucks a head profit just hauling them 50 miles.....

I was more concerned looking at a potential herd bull to see that they were being stolen at the first sale! Gotta work on that. I won't let the guy steal the next ones.
Be careful you don't get bid up and the guy makes his $500 on a bull without hauling them the fifty miles.

Horned Hereford and buy an electric dehorner.
I noticed today.....
They ran a group of 5 or 6 hereford bulls in. Only one was horned.
He was also the stoutest looking of the group.
I may get in touch with the fella I got Big Sexy from. He had some horned ones last time. That's been several years ago.

I noticed today.....
They ran a group of 5 or 6 hereford bulls in. Only one was horned.
He was also the stoutest looking of the group.
I may get in touch with the fella I got Big Sexy from. He had some horned ones last time. That's been several years ago.

If you have time, please take your time. You also have DV, so check out the upcoming bull sales, they probably go thru the end of the year. There are probably plenty in Ok and maybe a couple you can get to. All I know for sure is every time I make a snap decision because I think I have to do it know, very often I regret it. So, I think if you look around and do good due diligence, you'll be just fine no matter what decision you make.

Now, what would I do if I were you, I'd probably buy a SimAngus...just because you know black sells and a little bwf or brockle face makes you happy, but you'd still live with all black calves that pay the bills.

A bit further than I wanna drive. But the local folks don't have any right now.
I gotta say I'm not terrible impressed with the rumps on these bulls.
This bull was one of the ones on the small linked windows placed on that first bulls video. The only bull I would even consider, personally. Just based on conformation. Looks like he might have a funny scrotum though. One nut is noticeably smaller.

Good call, Murry. Those were poor steers. (oops, don't tell them I said that!)
You really want a straight bred bull - not a crossbred on your crossbred cows. Obviously, I vote for a PB Homo black, homo polled Simmental.
But, whatever breed - you lose the benefit of crossbreeding if you use crossbred on crossbred.
Gibbs is a great breeder. Been breeding Simmental a LONG time. Great reputation.
Now, I know you love white face - but - if you get a WF Simmental bull, and you have white face females ---- you "could" get a little more white than the "buyers" are going to want. I don't how bad that would be for your area. WF on WF may produce - white bellie, white on feet, white on tail. But, they may look like regular BWF and you would get the added muscling from a good bull.

Latest posts