New Angus Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Check him out and let me know what ya'll see please!!

There's was 2 of em. Sale barn sold choice.
Neighbor bought one to breed 3 cows and 1 heifer.

Some info. And it ain't much. The cows these 2 bulls came out of were 1700lbs.
Unknown sire. Look like good feet. Scrotal looks good. I've definitely seen worse bulls.

830lbs and Unweaned!!
He's gonna pen him for 2 weeks.
View attachment 22320View attachment 22321View attachment 22322
Nice bull. He will work just fine for the situation stated.

He will make terminal black calves, that is 90% of the battle for most people. Now hopefully he doesn't have big birthweights and awful calving ease.
That's my biggest worry for him and his single heifer. I tried to pick smallest head and feet but honestly it was a toss up. He picked the one that seemed gentle-er
Sounds like a prison farm.

Ken
His lil place was sold off from this original homestead many many years ago. The original buyers of that place kept some horses and chickens and what not. The next quoted post has more info..
Sounds to me like the chain link fence is to keep people out.
Kept the chickens in mostly. They don't even have chickens. Now he's basically cow/calfing and raising a few to slaughter every year.
Seems post legged in his pictures. The less cows to breed, the better. Basically a pig in a poke.
Pig in a poke!
Love that!!

Appreciate everyone's comments. He may be worthy of a Craigslist bull. But we will dang sure find out in about a year!

You might be surprised how many people buy unknown bulls from a sale barn. I see many sell each year.
Yep!
I bought my hereford bull from a breeder down south. But if he hadn't sold, he'd a dang sure ended up at the sale barn with the 3 heifers he sold the next week.
And they were nice heifers!

He usually don't have a problem selling his stock. Timing played a part that year. And he was done holding them.

Lots of small producers here that just have a few cows to keep the place clean. Don't depend on them to make any profit. A little management could help them a lot but it's not going to happen.
If I had them I could sell 8-10 just like him and everyone would be happy.

I tried to get a couple pics today but wasn't happening. Been playing in this 50mph wind and I gave up.
He did not stay in the ol ramshackle barn. Broke outta there about an hour after neighbor locked him in. I knew he wouldn't stay. Or had my doubts anyway. Barn is rough!
But he's hanging with the butcher steer and heifer. Who are a touch bigger than him already. They go in January.
20221023_133701.jpg

Nice bull. He will work just fine for the situation stated.
Frame score on him? I'd think definite likelihood of calving problems on a heifer if dam was 1700lbs…

But I'm doing the same thing. Asked an auction owner to purchase a similar animal for me by December 20. Won't know it's background, either. Let the adventures begin!

I would say 12-14 months... "old cows " being 2-3 months bred and probably did not breed right back.... more tail there than a 10 month old normally has.
He has a "youthful" face/head/shoulders, and looks well fed .... but that would be some milk fat....Not bad looking; hope he has a butt like the other one in the pen.

To me his weaning weight is light, he lacks some capacity and he is not as masculine as I'd like to see. Now, When I say that I realize it sounds negative but really I'd just like to see those traits improved a wee bit to get him into the "holy crap, that's a damn impressive bull" category.
To me the first thing I'd have liked a bit more of is length
But overall, for the price and purpose, he sounds fine

You might be surprised how many people buy unknown bulls from a sale barn. I see many sell each year.
Cracked me up when we hauled a couple mature bulls to the barn last fall.

Both silver MGs but when we unloaded the yard guy knew they were MGs and asked what BWs they threw. He asked for my card- which I always give out if someone asks.

He ended up buying both to cover his Angus x heifers. He called me and told me he was pretty happy with the calves which started coming Sept 1. Not one heifer had needed assistance and most had already finished calving.

Cracked me up when we hauled a couple mature bulls to the barn last fall.

Both silver MGs but when we unloaded the yard guy knew they were MGs and asked what BWs they threw. He asked for my card- which I always give out if someone asks.

He ended up buying both to cover his Angus x heifers. He called me and told me he was pretty happy with the calves which started coming Sept 1. Not one heifer had needed assistance and most had already finished calving.
Buying salebarn bulls is a great way to ensure your local seed stock supplier doesn't have any for you when you want them

Buying salebarn bulls is a great way to ensure your local seed stock supplier doesn't have any for you when you want them
There's a local breeder here that sells some bulls every year. When not all of em sell, guess where they go?
Sale barn...

Not many around here are making a living off selling breeding stock unfortunately. There's an opportunity there!

Latest posts