New Angus Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Check him out and let me know what ya'll see please!!

There's was 2 of em. Sale barn sold choice.
Neighbor bought one to breed 3 cows and 1 heifer.

Some info. And it ain't much. The cows these 2 bulls came out of were 1700lbs.
Unknown sire. Look like good feet. Scrotal looks good. I've definitely seen worse bulls.

830lbs and Unweaned!!
He's gonna pen him for 2 weeks.
20221022_123616.jpg20221022_160350.jpg20221022_160349.jpg

I like him. Do you mind saying what he cost.
Not at all. And I'll add a lil.
They wanted to sell em together. Which I knew they would. And I almost thought about buying the second one, as they would've been cheaper together. Maybe!

When they came in, I said sell choice???

They started this one at 1.30
I was only bidder. On behalf of Neighbor.
$1072.50
Actual weight was 825 I guess.

The second was 50 bucks cheaper. But he wanted to pick, so he paid extra. 😆

If the price was right and for just a couple of cows he looks pretty good, should breed some good calves which will be important for you Murray as I'm sure he will be looking elsewhere once he does the job on the neighbour's couple cows.

Ken
I bet he will let me borrow him come breeding time here at home. Be dang hard for him to get out. Chainlink around his place. 8 acres.
Then he's got a hot wire inside. My 5 strand barb is outside his chain link. His place is a bit overkill.
🙂

Check him out and let me know what ya'll see please!!
The cows these 2 bulls came out of were 1700lbs.
Unknown sire.
830lbs and Unweaned!!

View attachment 22320
The big question will be, will the calves be consistent? If he can breed all your cows so they calve at the same time, so they raise calves with a consistent look, and so they are consistent weights so you can sell them as a consistent group, then he'll work fine.

I think he's the profile in the first pic, so profile in all pics. Is he as wide as the bull seen from the rump? He looks less wide but it could be the photo. Impressive weaning weight but if he throws calves that follow his example you won't want to be putting extra calves on with them. He's not real long bodied or heavily muscled. Nice and clean in the brisket. Not a lot of belly but adequate body capacity. Hopefully he will throw some positive maternal traits since he weaned so heavy.

Last edited:
The big question will be, will the calves be consistent? If he can breed all your cows so they calves at the same time, so they raise calves with a consistent look, and so they are consistent weights so you can sell them as a consistent group, then he'll work fine.

I think he's the profile in the first pic, so profile in all pics. Is he as wide as the bull seen from the rump? He looks less wide but it could be the photo. Impressive weaning weight but if he throws calves that follow his example you won't want to be putting extra calves on with them. He's not real long bodied or heavily muscled. Nice and clean in the brisket. Not a lot of belly but adequate body capacity. Hopefully he will throw some positive maternal traits since he weaned so heavy.
Well. He's got 3 cows and a heifer to breed at my neighbors. Pretty light duty. 2 cows just calved. But he wants the heifer bred a couple months ahead of the cows. So they will all be tight next season.

From behind he looks pretty decent. I was really quite surprised when I saw these 2 bulls at this place. Usually the quality is lesser at this sale.

I'll get some more pics after he gets him settled in!

Speaking of consistent. He's got a brindle cow. A blue cow. A red cow. And Bessies first born heifer.
I told him a black angus would even em up a bit for him. Tho the calves by my hereford bull and those cows seem pretty ok too!

To me his weaning weight is light, he lacks some capacity and he is not as masculine as I'd like to see. Now, When I say that I realize it sounds negative but really I'd just like to see those traits improved a wee bit to get him into the "holy crap, that's a damn impressive bull" category.

To me his weaning weight is light, he lacks some capacity and he is not as masculine as I'd like to see. Now, When I say that I realize it sounds negative but really I'd just like to see those traits improved a wee bit to get him into the "holy crap, that's a damn impressive bull" category.
But he doesn't look cow headed!
🤣

Be nice to know his age...

Ohhhhh... Do you mean he isn't 205 days (more or less) old? How are you computing his weaning weight if you don't know how old he is? I may need to backtrack here a little bit.
Sorry. I never said weaning weight. A bit of confusion. He weighed 825lbs today
His age is unknown!!
But he just came off the cow. Both cows were old and bred 2 and 3 months. So I guess I did have a "little more info"

Sorry. I never said weaning weight. A bit of confusion. He weighed 825lbs today
His age is unknown!!
But he just came off the cow. Both cows were old and bred 2 and 3 months. So I guess I did have a "little more info"
Oops... I took "830lbs and Unweaned!!" to mean they were on the cow until sold and being sold at (generally) a weaning age. My bad for assuming.

Oops... I took "830lbs and Unweaned!!" to mean they were on the cow until sold and being sold at (generally) a weaning age. My bad for assuming.
O I understand.
I kind of "assume" he's 10 months or older. Guessing game.

We all know what happens when we assume... 😆

I do it more than I should!

Not at all. And I'll add a lil.
They wanted to sell em together. Which I knew they would. And I almost thought about buying the second one, as they would've been cheaper together. Maybe!

When they came in, I said sell choice???

They started this one at 1.30
I was only bidder. On behalf of Neighbor.
$1072.50
Actual weight was 825 I guess.

The second was 50 bucks cheaper. But he wanted to pick, so he paid extra. 😆
He will make terminal black calves, that is 90% of the battle for most people. Now hopefully he doesn't have big birthweights and awful calving ease.

Latest posts