New 1 Ton truck

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a new 1 Ton truck in the next year or two. I'm either gonna buy a Dodge or a Chevrolet. It will be 4 door, 4wd, diesel, with a flat bed on it. I'd be curious to know if anyone on here has a new one and what your thoughts. I love the Cummins engine but every Dodge I've ever owned has been a rough riding and the body/interior just hasn't held up too well. Thanks for any input.

KW

You know what my pick is, but a Chevy is my second choice. Dodge has made many improvements to the ride and interior quality in the years newer than your truck that you have now.

If you want a comfortable ride, stick with the independent front suspension trucks or get a 1500 series truck, if you want durability, stick with a solid front axle.. Apparently Dodge is the only one offering manual transmissions, which is a biggie for me... I'd actually be picking between Ford and Dodge myself

If Dodge is the only one with a manual, then the choice would be made for me right there. Dodge all the way.

Bigfoot":pnsb6hqt said:
If Dodge is the only one with a manual, then the choice would be made for me right there. Dodge all the way.
That's a big part of it for me also, And the cummins engine. then fact you buy one alot cheaper than a comparable Chevy or ford.

If you go with Dodge start asking around about software updates and electronics before you buy. Guy I work with bought a 1 ton dodge cummins and is complaining about having to take it in every other month to have the software updated. He says a light comes on and the truck shuts down and will only run at slow speed. That right there eliminates any consideration I have for dodge for a while.

I am still running my 2001 2500HD Duramax 198K miles. Dodge/Ford guys always compliment the ride. I would not hesitate to buy another one. I think the auto Allison tranny is great.

My two RAM trucks have been great, and neither one's been back for service. I like the automatic transmissions also. But a stick shift tows smother once you reach highway speeds.

Bigfoot":24g78zcl said:

This isn't relevant to the discussion, but I'll never own another vehicle with a manual transmission. I have a bad back, and when it's acting up it just about kills me to get my left foot up high enough to reach the clutch pedal.

If you can stand all the problems with the Tier 4 diesel emission then help yourself. Expect lots of problems and when the warranty is out good luck. I would take a look at the Ford 6.2 gaser. It has plenty of power and almost as good of mileage as the diesel. Also it want cost you $2500 or more every time you have it worked on if you can find somebody that has the tools and can work on it.

I would look at Chevy 6.0 vortec or a older diesel just for the fact that it's not a tier 4 crap hole. Don't under estimate the raw power of a vortec motor. :lol2:

sim.-ang.king":1w00vtz5 said:
I would look at Chevy 6.0 vortec or a older diesel just for the fact that it's not a tier 4 crap hole. Don't under estimate the raw power of a vortec motor.
Nothing wrong with a 6.0, but don't over estimate one either. Your not going to hook on to 25 or 30000lbs with a 6.0 and a automatic and start pulling in the hills.

denvermartinfarms":2urjxw67 said:
sim.-ang.king":2urjxw67 said:
I would look at Chevy 6.0 vortec or a older diesel just for the fact that it's not a tier 4 crap hole. Don't under estimate the raw power of a vortec motor.
Nothing wrong with a 6.0, but don't over estimate one either. Your not going to hook on to 25 or 30000lbs with a 6.0 and a automatic and start pulling in the hills.
Forgot to put the laughing smile after it.

I can understand people who have problems using something with a clutch, but if you look at it from an expenses side of it, the Manual is less money usually to begin with, clutches are cheaper than torque convertors, and auto trannies seem to rarely last too long (they may still outlast the chevy though :p). Manual trannies give you better control, no electronics to tell you what you can and cannot do, and are repairable with a modest shop.. Auto trannies are FAR too complicated and fussy.

If you aren't regularly towing, I'd stay with a gas engine.. mostly for the same reasons as the manual tranny... much cheaper to fix if something goes wrong.

Of course if you're going to buy a new truck when the warranty runs out, all those things are moot points..

Thanks for all the replies. I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 extended cab 4wd today that is a manual transmission and has the 5.9 Cummins in it. I'm not buying another manual. For where I live and the amount of traffic it's just not enjoyable to drive. My daughter is getting bigger and a true 4 door is a must. I'm not excited about the tier 4 engines but it's inevitable at some point. I don't want to always have to drive an old truck just because I want to stay away from the newer engines. One of my best friends has a 2011 Dodge 4500 and has been happy with it. The only complaint he had was having to get the DEF system flushed out at around 80,000 miles.

KW

I got a 2015 2500 Chevy Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax about a year ago. I love it. I have not used it as a farm truck yet. That'll start later this year.

I am put a goose neck and Linex in next week.

9E6C0F2D-9E3F-4D26-99B9-BE574B5FBBE1.jpg

Oh, here's a little test of the build quality.. kneel on the rails of the box.. some of these newer trucks are such thin metal there you'll cave in the top of the box just kneeling on it.

Bought a new 1 ton Ford back in Dec, took me 30 days looked and drove them all. Id rate them like this.
Price. Lowest to highest.. Ford, Dodge, GM
Ride worst to best.. Dodge, Ford, GM
Ive got 10,000 miles on it so far and no problems, so far has pulled anything ive wanted but the test will be later in May or so. It is the roughest riding thing ive ever owned,(always had GM) cant imagine how bad the Dodge would actually be. The Ford did great in the ice and snow actually better than I expected. If it was gonna be a daily driver id go GM even though truck for truck 6000 higher. Wouldnt want a dually or a diesel if I wasnt pulling alot.

ford the cheapest? no way. those trucks are money.

They advertise new dodge diesels, crew cab for 36 or 38k. w/ flatbed 42k.

Latest posts