Neospora Cow has healthy newborn

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586":1vuhnlug said:
Holy Crap!!!! Well I guess not holy, but DOG Crap!!! Do I need to worry about my dog pooping in the paddocks????

If he eats the afterbirth like most dogs do I would say no if you haven't had an abortion problem in the second trimester. Hard to keep every cannie wild or domestic out of the pasture, it's easier to remove the infected cows. This diesease reminds me a lot of bangs all the cows grazing the same pasture some get it others don't.

Caustic Burno":2j9jvhte said:
the way we came to break the cycle was to cull infected cows removing the placentas for the cannines to feed on and start the cycle over again.

All the more reason to cull out the positives. Sounds very much like when the Gov't had to eventually step in with horses testing positive for EIA (Equine Infectious Anemia). The 'Coggins' test is now mandatory for horses crossing state lines. Horses can have the disease and not be sick from it, but still harbor it, mosquitos and other biting insects bite the horse, then bite a non-infected horse and transmit the disease to more horses. It was only by testing and culling positive horses (the ones that didn't dies from it) that EIA was then somewhat controlled.

Many 'beautiful' healthy looking, still useful horses were culled. There are a few places, so-called 'refuges' now where some people can send their positive horses. The horses are branded on the neck and can never leave the 'refuge'. These 'refuges' must be several miles from other equine populations. For obvious reasons, there aren't many around.

Katherine

This is not Bangs. It is not contagious within the herd and does not infect humans. It is not a bacteria or a virus. Everyone should use caution and dispose of any dead carcasses and afterbirth by burying and burning. Neospora in dogs and coyotes are infected through consuming raw meat of an infected, deer, goat, bison, horse or cow. The parasite lives in the muscle and nerves of the infected meat. It is NOT bloodborne. The canines that have the disease have very sick pups, most don't survive. This may cause the disease to be cyclic and occur more frequently as the population of coyotes peaks.

An infected cow may abort once, or several times or never abort. The Neoguard vaccine should be used on pregnant cattle if your cattle are at risk. Get your dogs tested for Neospora if you are concerned.

There are some studies that indicate mice and rats can carry the oocytes and contaminate feed. That may be why this disease seems more common in dairy operations.

When your cattle abort, get a Vet involved. Run abortion profiles and post the fetus. You will gain valuable information about your herd.

Latest posts