Newborn calf: nursed?? Pee?

Help Support CattleToday:

LB2727

Reaction score
Short version: Will a newborn calf pee if it hasn't nursed yet???

Long version: Bull calf was born this morning and I went from being convinced it hasn't nursed to now thinking maybe it has and its frusterating the heck out of me! Obviously its real important if it hasn't gotten colostrum asap. I didn't think it nursed cause every time I checked it throughout the day, it never had a suckle reflex when I stuck my fingers in its mouth. I've squirted moms milk on its nose and in its mouth and it never showed interest. But it did pee a while ago and one quarter MIGHT looked nursed on...its smaller and less tight than the other three quarters but it may have been like that earlier right after calving so not trusting that...darn brain is all scrambled today so I guess I should have noted my observation since I can't keep them straight!

Only sure way to tell is put him on momma and make sure he nurses . May have to put momma in the head catch to do it safely. Calves are too valuable to lose !

Trick to check the teat to see if it has been nursed... get your fingers/palm wet with WATER.... plain water... and feel the teat in question.... If it has been nursed,,, it will feel slimy compared to the other ones... will only work with plain water on your hand.. (not spit).... the dried saliva will feel slimy on your fingers... as it "reconstitutes" so to speak... Obviously you will need the cow in a chute/head catch to safely do it...
Agree if you are that unsure then colostrum replacer may be the way to go... but I have found that if a calf's mouth is warm , it isn't wandering around trying to find something to suck on, and is seemingly contentedly sleeping... it has sucked...
Separate them for several hours... if it is sucking, it will go to the cow or vice versa..

Jan's recommendation is what I've sometimes done. I've also dyed teats with kool-aid powder

In addition, if u can get the calf up and caught, "lick" it's butt a few times with a warm washcloth.

If ya get yeller poops...... there ya go

Something else ya can do is pen em up in a fairly clean pen and watch for milk poops on the ground.

No advice on the "short version" as I've not paid that close attention!

This is Meconium (first poop)
Notice the calf is still wet! Only a couple hours old at most. Mama was just cleaning up placenta. And it was obvious calf had already nursed. I did not notice a pee event.
We all know what milk poops look like I think.
Screenshot_20240305-204839_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts