Calving season 2023 has started.

Help Support CattleToday:

We've had a little rain this past week , been spotty but we are cutting and baling hay so not real disappointed. Cut our largest field yesterday. So far we are about 2/3 our normal yield . December freeze I think damaged our stand of rye grass .

Two new ones born today . June is getting late for us but these are 2 we have moved up from fall calving . View attachment 30943View attachment 30944
Lost the calf in the top picture. Group of black buzzards on it when I found them Saturday afternoon . Suspect they killed it . Cow is one of those that lays her baby down and leaves it and goes back later to nurse .

Lost the calf in the top picture. Group of black buzzards on it when I found them Saturday afternoon . Suspect they killed it . Cow is one of those that lays her baby down and leaves it and goes back later to nurse .
Need a good (dead?) calf replica that you can lay out in the field and surround with leghold traps. Maybe it would have to smell dead.

I'd sure like to see wildlife camera footage of how vultures hunt and attack livestock.

That's literally the only solution to the black vultures. Drop some lead on those SOBs, and be careful when you walk up if they ain't dead, they're vicious and disease ridden and have the ability to regurgitate a reeking and corrosive mess as a defense. And they're kinda tough, I shot one four times with a .22lr once before it calmed down for good. One through the chest and burr of the wing (beautiful shot, 90 yards, freestanding, uphill), one in the neck, one in the head, and another in the body).

Latest posts