Need Some Help and Quick!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Ashton87

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am new to this board and new to the Cattle world as well. Although I only have one and he is more or less a companion/pet for me and my horses that I got for free. :)

Ok so here is the thing, I have a 1 y.o Jersey Steer (I believe that's what he is, am I correct? Like a gelded horse but he's a gelded cow?) but I know nothing about jerseys at all. I was wondering if you guys could help me out a bit?

What should I feed him?

-I currently have him on Second Cut Hay but no grain. Is that ok if he's not going to do much? -

If he should be on grain, what kind of grain should I get and how much do I give him?

-Keeping in mind I'm not sure how much he weighs or how to weigh him properly-

What does splaying mean and do I have to worry about him splaying?

-I think it means when their legs spread out or something along those lines and I heard it was really bad for them. It's really snowy and icey where I am so do I need to keep him indoors?-

Are their such things as cattle farrier? Or would I need to do his feet myself?

He's really pushy but no matter how much I try to punish him when he does something bad, ie. headbutting me or chasing me in a field (lol), it doesn't phase him. Is this because of his breed, because he's young? What should I do to teach him ground manners?

-I was told smack him on the nose but that makes him headbutt me even more or doesn't bother him-

Thanks everyone and hopefully you can help me!

He's really pushy but no matter how much I try to punish him when he does something bad, ie. headbutting me or chasing me in a field (lol), it doesn't phase him. Is this because of his breed, because he's young? What should I do to teach him ground manners?

When he's at this point and smacking him doesn;t disuade him the best deterent is to put him in the frrezer.

When he's at this point and smacking him doesn;t disuade him the best deterent is to put him in the frrezer.[/quote]

He's not that dangerous. He's still somewhat easy to control and doesn't intimidate me at all! He will walk ahead of you when leading him, try to go faster then a walk, try to push past me when I open the stall door and it's not easy pushing him back and try to "play" with me like I am a steer when he is in the field.
Like I said he doesn't want to be "mean" but he is just a baby still, right? So I'm wondering if there is any civil way to punish a jersey so he understands not to do it but I don't want to "put him in the freezer" or get rid of him....

The former owner said that he thinks he is a horse because he's been around them his whole life and without another jersey cow around to show him better how is he to know different. I can sort of see her point of view but at the same time I know that he doesn't think he's a horse because I've been around horses almost my whole life and don't see any similar characteristics as a horse.

Would him not having another jersey around in his life cause him to act any different? Would it be better if he had another jersey friend to play with?

I'll try to get some pictures shortly and post them for all of you to see! Please feel free to add more comments/opinions!

What do you plan to do with him? is he just a pasture ornament? does he have a purpose?

Hate to let you in on a secret....the animal is food. Why do you want to play with him?
If he doesn't have any other bovine to interact with he will play cow games...with you...you are not his friend and playmate.
Feed him, make sure that he has plenty of fresh water and that he is wormed and has his vaccinations. When he is at the proper weight and condition......

beefcutsad020a.jpg

milkmaid":2j01cthx said:
What do you plan to do with him? is he just a pasture ornament? does he have a purpose?

Honestly, I was going to ride him later on!! Possibly make him my "hack steer" in the future so he's not just sitting in the field with no purpose. It's been done, it can happen, he just needs some ground manners first. And I'd like to know about what to feed him and what splaying is????

And again, I am not keeping him for meat purposes. He is going to stay with me and eat food, not be eaten as per request from his former owner. He has been spoiled his whole life and is quite fat for a jersey as I've been told!

Ashton87":1os7sh3d said:

-I was told smack him on the nose but that makes him headbutt me even more or doesn't bother him-

A short 2 x 4 ? As a man told me once, you'll know when you reach the point of an " effective" correction. He doesn't take you seriously.

Ashton87":2aij4489 said:
He's not that dangerous. He's still somewhat easy to control and doesn't intimidate me at all!
I'll try and put this the best way I know how without being rude. (Been accused of that before.) But anytime that in your mind you think that any animal is not dangerous you should no longer be exposed to animals. All cattle can be dangerous. I've seen steers who made it very obvious from the get go that they intended to kill me if given the chance. I've also had steers that gave every indication that they were as gentle as a little old lady only to try and kill me later when trying to get them into the dog house. Never assume anything about cattle they are animals their brains don't work so well sometimes. I'm not saying shoot them if they run the wrong way down the alley but just think more about the dangers rather than how gentle they appear.

No, you don't need to keep him inside. Yes, he is called a steer. Don't worry about him splaying. Watch his weight, if he does poorly on hay ~ loses condition, give him feed. The people at the feed store will be able to help you get what you need. His feet should not be an issue, may never need to be trimmed. If he does need this, they have people who do it. Again, guys at feed store can point you in the right direction there, as can the vet. Yes, he will perform better with a pasture mate (another steer or a heifer.

The pushy behavior needs to STOP NOW!! It is very dangerous. If what you are doing isn't working ~ up the ante. I believe someone suggested a 2x4. Do not let that continue. Good Luck.

Ashton87":pgy9caz7 said:

Hi:
Welcome to the board :D
I raise show cattle and if I have an animal like this, we tie him up every day. Start with two hours and work your way up to four hours a day. You need to tie him tight to a fence with his head a little higher than he would normally have it. Brush him and let him know this is going to be normal every day from now on. If he tries to kick at you, tell him NO! in a very stern voice and keep on brushing.
The smacking him on the nose is good, but I would kick him. When he puts his head down to headbutt, kick the crap out of him, right in the nose. Yell NO! and don't back down. He will respect you by the end of the week.
If he tries to push ahead of you when you walk him, kick him in the brisket (between the front leggs) as hard as you can and yell NO!.
This is how my young daughter gains the restpect of her tougher steers, she is 11 and very small for her age. All the cattle think she is a play toy. After a few weeks they get the idea and become very good friend with her within a few
months.
Never, never, never let him think he is the boss. Tie his little butt up every time he is bad. You will know by the end of January if he is worth keeping.
Please be careful you can get hurt very bad. Im not sure How old you are, but if you can, have someone with you.
Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Also all my kids have steel toe boots on when they work cattle, it's very effective when training the honery butt heads :D

Ashton87":2nl14d6f said:
He's not that dangerous.

I beg to differ. This steer outweighs you by several hundred pounds (and that difference is only going to increase, at least for the next several months as he continues to develope and grow), and could kill you in the blink of an eye - without even meaning to, or trying to. Cattle are not pets for the simple reason that the more tame they become, the less respect they have for people, unless they are taught to have respect - and it does not sound like you have the knowledge/experience to do that. By walking ahead of you, pushing past you to get in the stall door, and trying to play with you, this steer is demonstrating his dominance. All I can say is this - what funeral home should I send the flowers to? It might not happen today, or even tomorrow - but this steer is going to hurt you, possibly even kill you, at some point in time. I would either ship him, or I would put him in the freezer - and I would do it today.

OH, and another thing we do is, we put on a clip in nose ring. This will get his attention. You can buy them from the feed store. Good luck :D

Now I have heard everything.............I myself have some cattle I have a special place in my heart for........but there are limits.when it's time to cull, or sell, they will only be missed a little bit more then the rest is all. But to keep a Jersey as a ordinary pet to ride?

I have heard of ppl training Lonhorns and such to ride.............but Jerseys are notorious for bad tempers............bulls, and steers..........as cute as they may be they, they can be just as dangerous. :shock:

It's not for me to be critical, as we all have our different likes etc, so I wish you well. Just stay safe. Because you are obvously just another playmate to him and even without intent, the guy can hurt you bad. Some how let him know that you are boss, even if you have to 'hurt his feelings'. ;-)

There used to be a website I saw some years ago that listed farm fatalities, most were equipment roll over's , but the few that listed cattle Vs. man almost always listed a dairy bull, or dairy bull cross as the offender. One I remember was a Jersey bull killing two brothers in a barn yard. Sooooooooo..it does happen. :cboy:

Unbelieveable.......

To imagine that anyone would let a 500+ pound animal push them around? Knowing that this same animal is going to be a 1000+ animal soon and still pushing???

Bullets are cheap. Solve your problem now.

I'm still no expert but the cattleman I work with is-(40 years). From everything he has ever told me that sucker would be gone at first chance. I guess that's why he is still running cattle after 40 years. In his words, "I don't take unreasonable chances because there is no reason to".

A hotshot on the nose will definitely do the trick, he won't ignore that. If you are not going to eat this animal, then hay is perfectly fine for him, you don't need grain. Be careful. This guy was probably just a bottle fed pet and is trying to play. He doesn't mean to hurt you, just keep in mind that he is very capable of doing so even if by accident. Good luck! And post a picture of this critter please??

I have this funny feeling, Ashton, that breaking that steer to ride isn't going to be as easy as you think it is. :lol: :p

IMO a yearling isn't "just a baby"... I breed my heifers as yearlings, my neighbors put their yearling bulls out with the cow herd... nope, IMO a yearling bovine is no baby. He's got a mature cow's mind, mature cow's nature, and needs to be treated like a mature cow.

FWIW, I have some bovines that I'm very fond of, and one that I just bought back this morning who has had a special spot in my heart for a long time... but I won't take crap from any of them. Some of mine are halter broke and some are not, but any of them that try pushing me around are liable to get knocked into the middle of next week. I have a big personal bubble and they'd better not set foot inside it. Whether it has to be a rope, a whip, or a 2x4, they will mind their manners. MM has a bit of an adversion to being "walked on", LOL... and if I were in your shoes, I'd adopt the same philosophy.

Latest posts