Need some guidance

Help Support CattleToday:

danielle860

Reaction score
Hello - Please forgive me in advance if I am a little off in my terminology (read on, you'll see why)...

I am currently working on a systems development project for a college course that will evaluate whether or not to cull a breeder cow (based on health, breeding history, replacement cost, slaughter value). I've been scouring the internet, and am finding most of the data a bit over my head. I was hoping that some of the more experienced folks on the board could help me out with some of the needed data, or point me in the direction of some data that's geared toward a newbie.

I realize that there may not be any constant answer to any of the following, but the system is designed to reflect current market data only, so averages will work fine. Here goes:

1. On average, how many pounds of feed does a cow eat per day? My research shows 80 pounds, but I am not sure if this is different for the breeding herd.
2. What is the average cost of food per cow per day?
3. On average, how long does it take for a calf to be weaned?
4. My research shows that cows can be bred as early as 22 months but what is the average age at first calving?
5. What is the replacement cost for a cow? This one confuses me - does this mean that the cow is raised from a calf or purchased?
6. What is the slaughter value of a cow (cwt)?
7. Average cost of maintenance veterinary costs per cattle (just need a ballpark here in order to be realistic)
8. Additional overhead costs (per cattle).

Any assistance you can give me would be much appreciated.

-Danielle

danielle860 said:
1. On average, how many pounds of feed does a cow eat per day? My research shows 80 pounds, but I am not sure if this is different for the breeding herd.
2. What is the average cost of food per cow per day?
3. On average, how long does it take for a calf to be weaned?
4. My research shows that cows can be bred as early as 22 months but what is the average age at first calving?
5. What is the replacement cost for a cow? This one confuses me - does this mean that the cow is raised from a calf or purchased?
6. What is the slaughter value of a cow (cwt)?

1. On average, a cow consumes 28lbs of dry matter (hay) weight per day. Grass has moisture so i'm really not sure what that weighs if you have cows grazing a green pasture.
2. 7. and 8. Take a 1200lb rolled bale of coastal bermuda. Feeding costing approx $30 per bale and divide 28lbs per day into that. If you talk feed, like a feedlot, there are too many combinations of grains with different cost per bushel etc to answer shortly. Also, if the cow is on grass you have to factor in do you own the land or have mortgage payments. That is a cost per cow unit. Cost of fertilizer, fencing, mineral, fuel, equipment, herbicides, vaccinations, and stocking rate (how many cows per acre) to come up with a cost basis to get your answer.
3. Average weaning is 205 days
4. Heifers can be bread at 15 months on the early side, calving 9 months later or around 24 mos.
5. Can mean both. Replacement cost is the cost to purchase. Depends on if you buy weined replacements calves or stocker (older) type replacements. The older the heifer, the less you get $$ per pound as they get older and weigh more. Cattle prices diminish with weight and age, unless you are specifically a seed stock operator. I am not facturing buying older registered replacements or special sales, just what you would get at a sale barn. I would use $1000 if you want an average number to imput into your program.
6. Not sure what you are asking, but cwt is $$ per hundred lbs.. If you take a 500lb calf to auction and sell it, prices are quoted per like 1.0. 1.15. Price is for example, 1.0 =$100 per 100lbs * 500lbs= $500 for that calf. Slaughter (carcass) weight is approx 60% of what the cow weighs on hoof.

At the end of the day, I was told if you can net between $200-250 per calf after expenses you were doing really well.

Hope this helps.

Danged in State Texicans ... :D

Hey Danielle, the folks at the Noble Foundation in Ardmore, OK have a whole staff of folks that can get you more information as well. When they do a farm/ranch visit, they'll have reps for soils, grass/pasture management, an ageconomist, etc. The Noble Foundation is a $1 Billion non-profit whose sole function is to help farmers/ranchers make money while still conserving natural resources. A wealth of knowledge with tons of past and current producers and all sorts of PhD folks, test plots, and several of their own farms and ranches to test things on. They have an awesome multi-year project going now on cattle.

~~

Welcome to the Boards Danielle.

Are you an Animal Science student at U Conn-- ?

**Perhaps there are a few Connecticut beef producers lurking here that could give you some direct costs for your particular area.

I would also suggest you contact the Connecticut Beef Producers Assoc for information. They can put you in touch with one of the local producers.

There are a few premier beef programs in your area that pay higher $$ for ultra sounded steers before they are slaughtered.

The New England Livestock Alliance is one such program.

Here are their protocals:

http://www.nehbc.org/NELA.html

Cruise their entire website, it is very interesting.

Here is another article about the processing plant that is near you.
They can also give you some actual figures/costs for slaughter animals:

http://www.cce.cornell.edu/~washington/ ... dmeat.html
Their phone number is in the article.

Hope this helps.

~

Thanks everyone for the responses. Since our system is for a class project, the cost data we use does not need to be exact, but it does need to be pretty accurate.

TXCOBOY - thanks, this data is very helpful!

CowCop - I am actually an information systems major, and know almost nothing about cattle. I'm going to check out the links you gave me now.

CampgroundCattle - The idea for the system my group is designing actually came from that website! Our system will look at some additional factors, such as the health of the cow.