Need recommendations to eliminate rough buttonweed from hay meadow

Help Support CattleToday:

LauraleesFarm

Reaction score
Finally, I have identified the malicious weed in my haymeadow as rough button lead. What chemical can I use to eliminate it? I'm ready to start spraying and I need to buy herbicide.

1685196159481.jpeg

MSMA, many different names or if your keen on spending more for a better product, use Celsius, Put some dicamba with it.

MSMA is labeled for turf not forage. Says in the label - "Do not feed treated foliage to livestock or graze treated areas". I will search labels and get back tomorrow.

Lauralee's Farm, buttonweed is tough to control. If this is in bermuda, I would suggest that you add 0.2 to 0.3 ozs/acre of Metsulfuron Methyl (MSM 60DF, Patriot, etc) to either Grazon P+D or GrazonNext. If you have bahia, DO NOT add MSM. Use the upper rate of either of Grazon P+D or GrazonNext. The reason for the combination is you get 3 modes of action. From Grazon P+D you get 2,4-D + Picloram plus Metsulfuron Methyl. From GrazonNext you get 2,4-D + aminopyralid plus the MSM. Remember, there are haying restrictions with these products. Grazon P+D has 30 days for hay for beef cattle, GrazonNext has 7 days for hay. Hope this helps.

Lauralee's Farm, buttonweed is tough to control. If this is in bermuda, I would suggest that you add 0.2 to 0.3 ozs/acre of Metsulfuron Methyl (MSM 60DF, Patriot, etc) to either Grazon P+D or GrazonNext. If you have bahia, DO NOT add MSM. Use the upper rate of either of Grazon P+D or GrazonNext. The reason for the combination is you get 3 modes of action. From Grazon P+D you get 2,4-D + Picloram plus Metsulfuron Methyl. From GrazonNext you get 2,4-D + aminopyralid plus the MSM. Remember, there are haying restrictions with these products. Grazon P+D has 30 days for hay for beef cattle, GrazonNext has 7 days for hay. Hope this helps.
CB is this the right MSM?

1685297031677.png

CB is this the right MSM?

View attachment 30689
Yes, that is MSM. If you have bahia and want to keep it don't use it. That is a generic form of the old Ally product that DuPont came out with to control bahia. Some of the early trials on on controlling bahia with Ally were done here in Van Zandt County back in the late 1980's.

It spikes the efficacy when mixed with 2,4-D, Grazon P+D, and GrazonNext. It is one of the active ingredients in Cimarron Plus (Weedmaster plus MSM).

Look at the active ingredient. Compare it to the labels on Patriot or MSM 60.
Yes, that is MSM. If you have bahia and want to keep it don't use it. That is a generic form of the old Ally product that DuPont came out with to control bahia. Some of the early trials on on controlling bahia with Ally were done here in Van Zandt County back in the late 1980's.

It spikes the efficacy when mixed with 2,4-D, Grazon P+D, and GrazonNext. It is one of the active ingredients in Cimarron Plus (Weedmaster plus MSM).
Thank you for the information! Field is 95% bermuda

No, MSM is Metsulfuron Methyl. MSMA is Monosodium acid methanearsonate. It is the arsenic in the arsonate that makes it to where you cannot use it for forage crops.
I know your not supposed to use MSMA for forage and I wouldn't use it for forage myself. I know off a very large producer who uses MSMA to produce pretty much pure Bermuda grass that he sells by semi loads to both horse people and cattlemen.

I often wonder what kind of problems that could cause to animals that it is fed to. This producer buys MSMA in 55 gallon drum's and uses a lot of it. Farms 2000 + acres.

I don't know how he gets by doing it.

I know your not supposed to use MSMA for forage and I wouldn't use it for forage myself. I know off a very large producer who uses MSMA to produce pretty much pure Bermuda grass that he sells by semi loads to both horse people and cattlemen.

I often wonder what kind of problems that could cause to animals that it is fed to. This producer buys MSMA in 55 gallon drum's and uses a lot of it. Farms 2000 + acres.

I don't know how he gets by doing it.
504RP, nothing may ever happen, but IF it does, he stands to loose everything. I worry about the arsenic showing up in a tissue sample. Can you imagine the bad publicity if that ever happened? They can find a trace of antibiotic now because someone gave too much in one injection site or did not follow the complete withdrawal time.

Years ago, I was a county agent. I had a horse owner bring a jug of MSMA in the office and want to know how long he had to withhold his horses from the pasture he had treated. I asked him why he used it and he said the guy at the feed store said it would work and it did not require a license to buy and use. After about 20 minutes of search the internet for an answer, I broke down and called the 800 number on the jug. The tech rep was quick to tell me it was not to be used on forage for hay or grazing. I told him I knew that but my producer had used it and was wanting to know when he could safely graze it again. I put the rep on speaker phone so the producer could hear his answer - one full grazing season. He turned a shade of red similar to a Coke can, grabbed his jug and left. Just because a pesticide will work does not mean it fits every situation.

Latest posts