Need opinions on possible truck purchase

Help Support CattleToday:

cmjust0

Reaction score
Been looking for a farm truck for a while now.. I don't want anything I'd be afraid to get scratched (or dented) up, which means most of what people consider "farm trucks" nowadays ($40K+) are out the window. Basically, I want a reliable 3/4-ton beater.

Called about an old Ford I saw the other day. It's an '85 F-250 regular cab, 460ci, automatic, 4x4, flatbed. Cab looks pretty rough, which is fine with me.. Owner said he had the engine rebuilt two years ago, plus it got a new starter, new waterpump, and a few other things.. The speedo/odo apparently doesn't work anymore, but he said he probably drove about 50K since the rebuild (which he said cost around $1,400). Flatbed is two years old ($600), and he said the tires are pretty much brand new ($400, at least). As far as he knew, the transmission has never been rebuilt, and he had no clue how many miles were on it.

Asking price -- $1,500.

Thing is, I don't know really anything about the 460 or Ford automatic transmissions as far as reliability goes. If he'd said it had a 300-6 and a manual, I'd be sold already. I figured this forum's membership had collectively put a couple million miles on 460s, so I thought I'd ask for opinions..

So, what do y'all think?

The only drawback to the 460 is that some of them drink oil like it's koolaid. Even new they can do it. Depends on which autotrans. Some models were pretty poor but the 4 speed overdrive is/was a pretty tough tranny

Red Bull Breeder":2tqzhrmo said:
You don't need a 460 with 3.00 plus gas. Keep looking for that 300 six with the manuel.

That would be the ideal farm truck. Specially with a 4 speed and granny first.

I also found a '90 F250 regular cab longbed with 110K miles, 300-six EFI, 4spd manual w/ bulldog, and it was $2,200. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you guys would probably be of the opinion that the '90 would be well worth the extra $700 over the '85/460ci.

I kinda do too, but.... Well, $700 is $700, and it's shaping up to be one of those years. :frowns:

Hmm... Maybe I keep looking for an old F250 that looks more like the '85, but is built more like the '90. I'll tell you what though...this begging and choosing thing ain't all it's cracked up to be. :lol:

cmjust0":1p18jzpn said:
I also found a '90 F250 regular cab longbed with 110K miles, 300-six EFI, 4spd manual w/ bulldog, and it was $2,200. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you guys would probably be of the opinion that the '90 would be well worth the extra $700 over the '85/460ci.

I kinda do too, but.... Well, $700 is $700, and it's shaping up to be one of those years. :frowns:

Hmm... Maybe I keep looking for an old F250 that looks more like the '85, but is built more like the '90. I'll tell you what though...this begging and choosing thing ain't all it's cracked up to be. :lol:

If it's 4WD, jump on it. Truck will outlast your grandkids.

It is a 4x4, but I was mistaken about one thing.. It's a 5-spd manual w/ bulldog -- not a 4-spd.. Not sure if that makes much difference, but I wanted to clarify.

Probably should call about it, though it's more than I wanted to spend...

The call's free, though. :lol:

cmjust0":3vgvxhc3 said:
It is a 4x4, but I was mistaken about one thing.. It's a 5-spd manual w/ bulldog -- not a 4-spd.. Not sure if that makes much difference, but I wanted to clarify.

Probably should call about it, though it's more than I wanted to spend...

The call's free, though. :lol:

The 5 speed is even better. Granny and overdrive in the same tranny.

I would want to have a straight front axel if it were me,but the 90 sounds like a good deal.

dun":2ih8rme0 said:
The 5 speed is even better. Granny and overdrive in the same tranny.

Most 5 speeds have a synchronized first gear and it's not as slow as the standard 4 speed, but OD is sweet on the interstate. That 5sp is most likely a ZF, it's the weakest part of that truck, but not enough to worry me in the least. If I liked the truck I'd offer 1500 and be prepared to part with 2 grand if necessary. A 300 with fuel injection is a great motor.

Dad just bought an 85 F350 with a 460 and a hydrabed for under 3 grand. He was fussing the other day about some trivial problem with the truck (bad muffler I think). When I offered him what he paid for it he got quiet.

The 460 was notorious for exhaust manifold leaks. The exhaust manifolds would warp and blow the gaskets out if there were any. If they gaskets were not there, they would burn valves pretty quick.

dun":2lyefd1i said:
The only drawback to the 460 is that some of them drink oil like it's koolaid. Even new they can do it. Depends on which autotrans. Some models were pretty poor but the 4 speed overdrive is/was a pretty tough tranny

I had a 1990 Ford F350 with a 460 and an automatic transmission. That thing would go through a quart of oil every 50 miles. Needless to say, I don't have that truck anymore.

Latest posts