Need bull-Gert, Braunvieh or Red Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

thebabybrahma

Reaction score
I am going to need a bull to replaced my Gelbvieh. Thinking about a Gert, Braunvieh or Red Angus. We have a between 12 and 30 cross bred cows depending on how the season is looking. Gimme the good, the bad and ugly of each. We have had good luck with the Gerts, but have never tried the others. Looking for some opinions and maybe some to look at in East TN. Thanks :tiphat:

I would not consider a Braunvieh either.. especially with a mixed herd. They tend to have large birth weight calves.. and without knowing the EPDs on your cows, you could have a wreck.

A red Angus also sounds like a good choice to me.

S and D Reds, could you explain why you don't get heterosis from using a Braunvieh after using a Gelbvieh. And Bull Lady, could you explain to my 3 Braunviehs that they are suppose to throw big birth wt. calves instead of of these puny 70 to 74 lb runts, and 1 heavyweight at 84 lbs.
And all out of a mixed breed herd, including 1 Highland. In 3 yrs. I've only pulled 1 calve, which was backwards.

Santas and Duhram Reds":2nv6czx8 said:
I would avoid Braunvieh simply because you have used a Gelbvieh in the past, it wouldn't optimize heterosis. Gerts would give you the most heterosis. Nothing wrong with a R Angus either.
S and D Reds-

Are you saying that because Gelbvieh and Braunvieh names end in " vieh " they are someway 'related'? No - No! The statement that the crossing the two breeds would not optimize heterosis is not compelling!

DOC HARRIS

Do ya'll know that it is possible to pick and cross cattle without knowing the EPD's. I am constantly shocked at the responses I see on these boards. Go pick a good bull and put him on your cows. Why would you want a Gert in that climate? A good bull is a good bull don't get hung up on the breed get hung up on the bull himself.

After locating Gray, TN on a map and seeing that it is far northeast Tennessee, I would be more inclined to use the Red Angus. I know the Santa Gertrudis could do ok there as there are Gerts farther north, but I don't know if you need the heat tolerance as much where you live and how acceptable calves with a tick of Bos indicus breeding will be treated at sale time. If you were in southern Tennesse along the Mississippi or Alabama border, then a Gert would be a possibility. Not knowing what kind of cow herd you have makes me shy away from Braunvieh because of possible odd colored calves (I know we have been down that road on other threads, BUT it is a real perception problem that we have to face). I have seen some very nice Braunvieh cross cattle and they do have a place when bred to something that will mask the Brown Swiss look.

use whatever has the least problems with calving and is going to get you the best bang for your buck. we use Gerts quite a bit farther north than you are on herfs, angus and simms and so far no real calving problems. I find the gerts can take the hummidity and bugs better than most and they do quite well in the colder climates as well. First snow fall in november and it hasn't left yet.

If you need a Gert bull in the near future: the Breeders of the Carolinas Sale is on April 19 at Martin and Martin Cattle Company 1901 Cherokee Rd.; Williamston (Anderson), SC. Three bulls (one from Shaker Hill Farm, one from Dietrich in Florida, and one from Jimmy McKnight) have been consigned.

Doc-
I know the Gelbvieh and Braunvieh are not related. They are however both continental breeds which when bred together have limited heterosis compared to crossing with a British or American breed; hence I used the word optimize. Use your nogin.

Also, any prolonged temperature over 85 degrees can benefit from the use of Brahman influence. By crossing a Santa on his heard, the amount of Brahman will be minimal and would work quite nicely in his herd.

Roadapple":1sl3o4rs said:
S and D Reds, could you explain why you don't get heterosis from using a Braunvieh after using a Gelbvieh. And Bull Lady, could you explain to my 3 Braunviehs that they are suppose to throw big birth wt. calves instead of of these puny 70 to 74 lb runts, and 1 heavyweight at 84 lbs. And all out of a mixed breed herd, including 1 Highland. In 3 yrs. I've only pulled 1 calve, which was backwards.

fullbloods or purebred bulls? i would be interested in their registration #'s to look at their lineage.

ROB

thebabybrahma":1lkt25us said:
our herd of cows are all different colors but most are white motley faced. what about a Shorthorn bull???
babybrahma-

Well, what about a "Shorthorn Bull"?? What are your goals for your herd? What are you trying to achieve for your herd? Are you seeking white, motley-faced cows? Are you seeking different colored cows? Or - are you seeking moderate sized, easy fleshing, docile, fertile and PROFITABLE BEEF cows? You should define your motives and objectives before you start playing "Tiddly-Winks" with Breeds. THEN, select a bull which will satisfy those goals, and retain heifers which will IMPROVE your cow herd.

DOC HARRIS

careful where you place your OR. Some may think that implies motley faced or any other cows aforementioned to the OR can not make a profit, which we all know is not true.

I believe the bullshopper should shop around first to see what is available to them and then use breed to help make your final decision.

Remember, no matter what breed you choose, you gotta like what your going to look at every day.

Santas and Duhram Reds":7buxxmx0 said:
careful where you place your OR. Some may think that implies motley faced or any other cows aforementioned to the OR can not make a profit, which we all know is not true.

I believe the bullshopper should shop around first to see what is available to them and then use breed to help make your final decision.

Remember, no matter what breed you choose, you gotta like what your going to look at every day.

Santas and Duhram Reds- It strikes me that 'paranoia' is knocking on your noggin! You have mis-interpreted meanings on several of my posts recently. I put the "OR" exactly where I intended to put it, having NOTHING to do with any inference to ANY particular breed of Beef Cattle. Perhaps you should get the "cow chip" off of your shoulder.

DOC HARRIS

Remember Doc, you singled me out first by misinterpreting my post, if you have a problem with me mentioning how someone might misinterpret your post, consider it returning the favor.

As far a several of your posts is concerned, I really don't know what you are talking about. This thread is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. If you can think of more, maybe it is you who is paranoid.

Santas and Duhram Reds":1q3h5ml3 said:
Remember Doc, you singled me out first by misinterpreting my post, if you have a problem with me mentioning how someone might misinterpret your post, consider it returning the favor.

As far a several of your posts is concerned, I really don't know what you are talking about. This thread is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. If you can think of more, maybe it is you who is paranoid.

Maybe so!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts