Need advice on ford trucks

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a 2013 f-250 Crew cab 4x4 with the 6.2 gasser. I went from 20 yrs of diesels to this truck. I was really worried I was not going to like it but that was dismissed very quickly. Love the truck, it has 14k on it now and I avarage mid 14' on highway...with a high of 16.4. I average mid 12's to and from work..combo city /highway. Heaviest load to date is 15k....18k if you include the trailer weight. Pulled at 65 no problems and I averaged mid 8's on that one. It did catch alot of wind, it was completely flat on the front and about 10' tall and 8' wide. Hauling stuff in the 10k range, truck gets 9-11 depending the right foot :cboy:
We have a fleet of the 6.2, f-250s at work and these things are beat on on the oilfield hard. We have a few approaching 200k and some near 250k, trucks have held up very well. No real drivetrain problems.(This did influence my decision to go gas also.)
I went gas due to all the emissions and BS put on the new diesels and as mentions the repair costs coming down the road. For 6k we rput a new 6.0 in our 2011 GMC at work....thats almost what injectors cost on the new diesels.
I will tell you that I was averaging 10 mpg at first, once I hit 5-6k miles it started getting better.

Before I spent that much money on a truck that's 6 years old or a truck that's 4 years old my azz would be setting in a new one. And they are that that old, the 15's are out now. If I was buying a used truck it would have more of a used price.

jedstivers":1qq0b75m said:
I thought the older one was,gas for some reason. It's not quite as bad as I thought.
However the duramax hold up much better for me and I really like the ford trucks but I can't drive them.

I can't sit in a GM product anymore myself. Same goes for Dodge/Chrysler.

jedstivers":28ho26bp said:
Before I spent that much money on a truck that's 6 years old or a truck that's 4 years old my azz would be setting in a new one. And they are that that old, the 15's are out now. If I was buying a used truck it would have more of a used price.

I am with Jed on this. Please understand I do not foresee hauling anymore than you in your first post. I do haul alot of 10-12k loads, which no big deal for a gasser. I went with a XL 250. I required manual windows, manual t-case shifter ,manual hubs, full vinyl interior. This is my retirement truck and I will have for 20-30 yrs according to my plans. Listed at 33,400.00. Got them down to 29k and trade, I financed 24k.
Do your research on replacement parts for the diesel and gas trucks. Go to Oreillys website or whoever and check out pricing on parts. Then you have to figure fuel cost. At sometimes of the year diesel is as much as .70 per gallon higher and as little as .15 per gallon higher.
The diesel guys always say resale.....my problem with this..you spent so much at purchase, you are going to have to run that truck 4-500k before you sell. Try selling a 4-500k diesel outright and see what you get. Try selling a 200k gasser vs. a 300k diesel...not that much difference in my experience.
Now if you are pulling back hoes, big tractors and big wind catching RV's...go diesel, dont miss looking at the 2 ton trucks either vs. the 1 tons.

Thank you Saltbranch, good info there. We are definitely going gas, and have even found a cheaper new gas without all the bells and whistles (no tint, which we will have to put in) than those 2 listed. I am just trying to get a feel for price now a days, since we have not bought a vehicle since 2004. A lot changes in 10 years!

Good luck .Another big adjustment for me was the automatic tranny, no standard available anymore in Fords line.All I have ever had was standard shift trucks before this one. Dodge still has one with a Diesel, I believe. The F-250's come with 3.73 gears and can be ordered with 4.30 gears. Mine is a 3.73 and I have no complaints. Here is a pic of it. I already had the headache rack and toolbox. I added the bumpers and window tint.

I have a 2006 F350 XL crew cab SRW with the 5.4. It handles what I need to do. I did the math Saltbranch was talking about when we were looking at trucks. Could never get a diesel to pencil out for us. We don't drive t a lot but when we need a truck we need one, bought it used in 2007 with 17,000 on it and sits here with a little over 40,000 on it now. Granted I could get by with less of a truck most of the time but after years of pulling a trailer load of calves and fertilizer buggies with a F150 and feeling uncomfortable it is worth it. Last I checked about 14 highway, 12 or so plugging around the area, and towing around 9 mpg, maybe a little less on big loads.

TennesseeTuxedo":9jc9f4wa said:
jedstivers":9jc9f4wa said:
I thought the older one was,gas for some reason. It's not quite as bad as I thought.
However the duramax hold up much better for me and I really like the ford trucks but I can't drive them.

I can just fine. I'm not costing my business more money and down time to drive a ford. And I like the ford the best to set in and drive.

jedstivers":12mwgqzf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":12mwgqzf said:
jedstivers":12mwgqzf said:

I can just fine. I'm not costing my business more money and down time to drive a ford. And I like the ford the best to set in and drive.

To each his own jed.

Have a great week!

Latest posts