Need advice on ford trucks

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
Ok, from my past post, most should know we need a replacement truck. Our current F250 is on its last leg, so we are looking at used trucks. Neither of us are truck savvy, but we are ford lovers. I have always owned a ford... My first car was a ford ranger!
So here are two that caught my eye. I did the Kelly blue book on both, and the newer (2011) is listed a little above blue book value, if I did it right and the older one (2008) is listed several k under blue book. Can't anyone give advice or warnings on either truck, and engine? We do not haul a ton, but we go to a lot of shows this time of year and this year are dragging cattle 8 hours to Louisville some want a dependable truck. So what is your opinion on these two, are they worth the money?
As always thank you for your advice and experience...
http://jimmymichel.com/Aurora-MO/For-Sa ... /29077000/
And
http://jimmymichel.com/Aurora-MO/For-Sa ... /28934976/

I would go with the newer one because of the engine and electronics. The 6.4's had some problems with both of them. My brand new Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab was less than the 2011 Used Ford. I also priced a new Ford F350 4x4 xlt crew cab, with a gas engine. And I could buy the truck out the door for 41k with the tow package. So I bought the Ram with a Cummins. The 08 there's no telling how many miles are on it, they are very easy to turn the miles back. If you buy a used diesel truck make sure and buy a extended warranty on it.

I would go with a gas burner. The emission BS on all the newer diesels engines has bout ruined them. Not if, but when you have a problem with the newer diesel trucks you better have deep pockets to repair. Also the newer gas burners have pretty decent engine torque numbers.

jltrent":87tgd9d4 said:
I would go with a gas burner. The emission BS on all the newer diesels engines has bout ruined them. Not if, but when you have a problem with the newer diesel trucks you better have deep pockets to repair. Also the newer gas burners have pretty decent engine torque numbers.
I don;t think the 250/350 come in gas anymore, could be wrong but I haven;t seen one in a while.

I test drove a new Ford xlt crew cab 4x4 with a gas engine. It was a nice truck and had plenty of power. I put almost 200 miles on it and the lie o meter said 14.6 mpg. where I brought it back.
I know you're stuck on a Ford truck, but the Ram is a better truck by far. Look at the troubles you've had with the truck you have now. What makes you think a new or used Ford will be any different?

highgrit":12q47km1 said:
I test drove a new Ford xlt crew cab 4x4 with a gas engine. It was a nice truck and had plenty of power. I put almost 200 miles on it and the lie o meter said 14.6 mpg. where I brought it back.
I know you're stuck on a Ford truck, but the Ram is a better truck by far. Look at the troubles you've had with the truck you have now. What makes you think a new or used Ford will be any different?
F150?

In 2011 Ford released a 6.2 V8 for the 250/350 trucks. I've read they are solid motors, I haven't driven or owned one though.

As a recent and former 6.4 owner I would stay away from them. Too many possible failure points for me. I went back to cummins. The only good thing about the 6.4's is the ride and the transmissions. The fuel eco sucks, even after deleted. The high pressure fuel pumps are prone for failure and that's a cab off repair including new fuel lines because when they go out they send metal shavings thru the fuel lines. The radiators leak, and the up pipes to the turbo's are known to crack. That's another cab off repair. Parts of the valve train is plastic and if worn they can cause a valve to drop and take a piston out. Speaking of pistons, the 6.4's are known to crack pistons as well. Luckily I never had any trouble with mine, but I got rid of it before it cost me thousands.

The new Ford diesels are really nice trucks. We just got two of them for pumpers at work. My boss drives ones. Be aware though... if that O2 sensor fails it will stop you right then and there... trailer no trailer... 6 hrs from home... night... what ever. You are coming to a complete stop until it is fixed.

Why buy a truck?

overload_zpsf0d4aef7.jpeg

My suggestion is get neither unless you have $10k or better lying around in case you get a tank of bad fuel. Unless you spend a tremendous amount of time on the highway pulling very heavy loads you would be better served with a gas engine. That is my two cents, take it for what it is worth.

Thanks guys! I had been leaning towards gas, since the diesel is so expensive to repair. I hate having to buy a new truck, because I just do not know enough to make an informed decision on something with that big of a price tag. So what engine is good, gas wise?

All three from gm, ford, and dodge are pretty close, just make sure it has the lowest rear end available, I know this will be a 4:30 rear end for a ford, not sure about the other two. Drive all three and see which one you like the best.

Brute 23":3nn6ibfd said:
The new Ford diesels are really nice trucks. We just got two of them for pumpers at work. My boss drives ones. Be aware though... if that O2 sensor fails it will stop you right then and there... trailer no trailer... 6 hrs from home... night... what ever. You are coming to a complete stop until it is fixed.
Get a code reader and reset it...drive home. Duromax do that too..

If I was going gas I'd look at the new hemi 6.4 in the ram 2500 trucks. That motor with 4:10 rear end would pull good. I'm a member over at cumminsforum and a guy traded in his diesel for the 6.4 hemi and posted a video pulling his 35ft 5er and truck wasn't even breathing hard. You could find that truck in a tradesmen pkg for around 33k brand new.

If your a Ford fan, I'd look into the new 6.2L gas. You can buy one of these in the same price range as a used 6.7L diesel, probably less than many of them.

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/s ... e=Feature3

If you want to stick with used Fords, I'd try to find a 6.8L V10. Ford put them in F250/F350's until 2011 when the 6.2L came out. You'll find a couple of fairly recent discussions on them here - they seem to have plenty of haters (I think just the idea of 10 cylinders freaks some people out) , but I've yet to hear anyone that's owned or driven one much that doesn't like them. If you don't pull over 10K and that not real often, you could prob'ly get by with a 5.4L V8, but it'll work a lot harder doing it. I'm hoping to find an '08-'10 model 6.8L next time I buy.

DLD":kfud334t said:
If your a Ford fan, I'd look into the new 6.2L gas. You can buy one of these in the same price range as a used 6.7L diesel, probably less than many of them.

If you want to stick with used Fords, I'd try to find a 6.8L V10. Ford put them in F250/F350's until 2011 when the 6.2L came out. You'll find a couple of fairly recent discussions on them here - they seem to have plenty of haters (I think just the idea of 10 cylinders freaks some people out) , but I've yet to hear anyone that's owned or driven one much that doesn't like them. If you don't pull over 10K and that not real often, you could prob'ly get by with a 5.4L V8, but it'll work a lot harder doing it. I'm hoping to find an '08-'10 model 6.8L next time I buy.

Good luck finding one unless they are much more plentiful in OK then they are here. You can find plenty of 6.4s and 5.4s in those years, but v10s are as rare as hens teeth. I ended up getting A 5.4 because I could not find one around here.

hillbilly beef man":31om6odk said:
DLD":31om6odk said:

Good luck finding one unless they are much more plentiful in OK then they are here. You can find plenty of 6.4s and 5.4s in those years, but v10s are as rare as hens teeth. I ended up getting A 5.4 because I could not find one around here.

I run a 5.4 also. F350 with a six speed manual. Couldn't justify the added expense of the diesel for no more than I pull.

fitz

I can buy a lot of gas for the difference in what a V10 will cost and either a comparable model/condition used diesel or even brand new gas truck will cost.

Hillbilly beef man, they're not easy to find here either. I'd be willing to travel some for the right one when the time comes, just have to see what we can find. A 5.4 would be my next choice, too.

Fitz, my father in law has an '04 F250 with a 5.4 and a 6 speed manual, and he pulls a 24'x6'8" stock trailer, and doesn't mind loading it up. I've run with him with my 6.0 diesel and the same trailer and load, and he can run 65 up and down any hills in this part of the country, which is plenty with a load of cattle, IMO. Those manual transmissions are hard to find too, though. I've had a couple of 5.4's with automatics and they pulled their share, too. Nothing wrong with 'em in my book.