Har Vey
Sir Loin
Lil Ho
Mor Ris
Gran Ma
Crazy Face...

Supa Dexta":1j5nvome said:
Numbers are names.

Exactly and names are numbers. Its all a method of identification. For a small herd, names can be just as easily used as numbers.

Some of mine have names and some are referred to by a description like "old momma with horns" or "old momma without horns".

I feel the whole children thing is all in how the children are raised and is a mindset more than anything. My 7 y/o daughter will name a calf or two, but she knows they still go to the sale barn. It helps her get her point across when she talks about them.

Son of Butch":2sbui6cx said:
Stocker Steve":2sbui6cx said:
Double tagged tags give you many more options:

Red Dawg... targeting an Asian market?

Lil Ho... Steve...you been dating my ex-wife?
Red Dawg is a lead steer. He follows me like a ...
Lil Ho is a heifer who managed to get bred to a Holstein, and we don't have any of that kind. :eek:

My wife took over management of the herd about 10 years ago... an improvement in everyone's station in life - mine and the cows. She names them; certain cow families have name continuity... start with a 'P', or they're all 'bird' names, etc.
I'll admit to having named a few... but they tend to be things like... Mongo, Dilbert, ol' Square-Head, etc.
And... I still submit that 'Thirty-Four' and 'Fifty' are names... at least, those cows recognize those as their names... as much as a cow can recognize human speech.

Lucky_P":cgcqst8n said:
My wife took over management of the herd about 10 years ago... an improvement in everyone's station in life - mine and the cows. She names them; certain cow families have name continuity... start with a 'P', or they're all 'bird' names, etc.
I'll admit to having named a few... but they tend to be things like... Mongo, Dilbert, ol' Square-Head, etc.
And... I still submit that 'Thirty-Four' and 'Fifty' are names... at least, those cows recognize those as their names... as much as a cow can recognize human speech.

That's how I keep track. Tator Tot had Spud, Pinto Bean had Jelly Bean, Satan had Lucy (heifer, otherwise would have been Lucifer), Glory Be had Mercy Me, Daisy had Duke . . . . I recycle steers names (when I name them) and heifers we don't retain.

TCRanch.. I've recycled a few... If I can't remember the animal that had the name, I'll recycle it!
I have a few that had related names... If Tizia had more heifers than just Mega, I'd have continued with Giga, Tera, etc along that line.. Instead Mega's daughters have taken those names.. the other theme for Megas calves have been Sofa, Divan, and I'm waiting for Chester(field)
I've used the names of great people in specific fields (Philosophers, etc), Rivers and lakes, volcanoes (Hekla, Lava, Helena and a bunch more)
Then I decided to have some fun.. and in all my FB cow pictures I tagged my friends!

I named all my heifers with names beginning with the year of their birth....I am now going through the alphabet for the second time....

example this year I have one heifer that I will register...her mothers short name is Utah...the heifers sire is Faxton of Wye UMF ____. the heifer will be registered as PDF Utahs Braxton 6651 this year is B...I have a set of unregistered twins that are named Bogart (Steer) and Bogeese (free martin) and another nice steer who is Bruiser.

Bulls are generally named after the sire and with an appropriate year letter name....I lost a bull calf this year who would have been named PDF Faxtons Baxter 6650.

Nesikep":4tguj7hm said:
TCRanch.. I've recycled a few... If I can't remember the animal that had the name, I'll recycle it!
I have a few that had related names... If Tizia had more heifers than just Mega, I'd have continued with Giga, Tera, etc along that line.. Instead Mega's daughters have taken those names.. the other theme for Megas calves have been Sofa, Divan, and I'm waiting for Chester(field)
I've used the names of great people in specific fields (Philosophers, etc), Rivers and lakes, volcanoes (Hekla, Lava, Helena and a bunch more)
Then I decided to have some fun.. and in all my FB cow pictures I tagged my friends!

We have a cow named Legs - freakishly long legs when she was born but grew into them. A son in law is a B2 bomber pilot & his "official" nickname is Legs (I have no clue why) but our Legs' bull calf is named after him. Posted a pic of son in law w/said cow & calf on his FB page: Family photo - Legs, Legs/James & James - it's complicated. ;-) He got a lot of inappropriate comments from the other pilots.

Latest posts