my steer... opinions??

Help Support CattleToday:

queenielauren14":10gskxv7 said:
Your right, things are going to die oneday, so hey lets go kill them all now while they are young, yes i know people kill and eat horses and rats and dogs and cats and wht not in other countries. And dont the hindus or people in india worship cattle? Yea my baby steer will DIE one day, but he will never be slaughtered, EVER, no animal that is my own will ever be slaughtered. My steer is of the dairy breed, so whether or not their is beef, he will be born so long as there is milk and bulls needed. And what point is there in living anyway, if you only have 12months to do it before some person kills and eats you!?
They get closer to 14-18 months to live, actually.

queenielauren14":u5f1ivxv said:
Your right, things are going to die oneday, so hey lets go kill them all now while they are young, yes i know people kill and eat horses and rats and dogs and cats and wht not in other countries. And dont the hindus or people in india worship cattle? Yea my baby steer will DIE one day, but he will never be slaughtered, EVER, no animal that is my own will ever be slaughtered. My steer is of the dairy breed, so whether or not their is beef, he will be born so long as there is milk and bulls needed. And what point is there in living anyway, if you only have 12months to do it before some person kills and eats you!?

Do you think a steer knows what a month is? Or a day? Or an hour? Or cares? If you bring him something to eat on a regular basis, he's satisfied. YOUR steer may live until he dies, but you may change your mind, who knows? Dairy cattle are beef, too. Your calf was probably taken from his mother so humans could have the milk he would otherwise drink. Do you drink the milk that baby dairy cattle otherwise would get? What would we do with all those steers if we don't eat them? You keep ignoring that question.

Frankie":341zta41 said:
queenielauren14":341zta41 said:

Do you think a steer knows what a month is? Or a day? Or an hour? Or cares? If you bring him something to eat on a regular basis, he's satisfied. YOUR steer may live until he dies, but you may change your mind, who knows? Dairy cattle are beef, too. Your calf was probably taken from his mother so humans could have the milk he would otherwise drink. Do you drink the milk that baby dairy cattle otherwise would get? What would we do with all those steers if we don't eat them? You keep ignoring that question.

I agree Frankie.

Frankie":3phmk6mt said:
queenielauren14":3phmk6mt said:

:clap:

jaydill":103mektn said:
queenielauren14":103mektn said:
They get closer to 14-18 months to live, actually.

That is true.

What would we do? We would Ride them! DUH.. thats the thing youi guys keep ignoring, they have other uses, they can all be put to work if needed, and become working oxen and bullocks. Im not saying you have to or should stop eating them im saying that im not going to, and that there is an alternative to slaughter. Yes, dairy animals are still beef. And are still used for beef, but thinking back to your statement: 'If people didnt eat beef your steer wouldnt have ever been born' he would be born whether or not you eat beef, for as long as you drink and use milk he wouldve been born. And how would you know, whether steers no hwo time goes by? A rooster knows to crow at the beginning of each day when the sun rises. They ahve some idea, the same way we do by the rising and setting of the sun. And its completely irrelevent whether they know wht the time is anyways. Yes, i do drink milk, milk is not hurting the animal.. in cases where the calf dies, it COULD be helping her and preventing her from mastitis.. blah blah blah. Maybe you guys get to keep your steer for 14-18months, but my most recent steers have only lived to their 1st birthdays, some live longer. Some dont. My last steer, was slaughtered on the date of his actual 1st birthday. What i dont understand is why you cant just accept it, yes some people have found other uses for steers out there. But no you continue to insist that they have no other purpose, maybe its ignorance or just lack of knowledge? Now, Frankie, can i ask a question of you? WHY, do i have to grow up? Simply because you dont agree with me, makes me immature, and in need of growing up? Why should your opinion on steers purposes determine whether or not i have to grow up?!

queenielauren14":br25muof said:
why did god put horses on earth if not to eat them? whaat difference does it make?
Lauren

Beacuse a horses purpose on earth is to haul us around and cows are here to eat grass and get eaten.

queenielauren14":ln5xraml said:
What would we do? We would Ride them! DUH.. thats the thing youi guys keep ignoring, they have other uses, they can all be put to work if needed, and become working oxen and bullocks. Im not saying you have to or should stop eating them im saying that im not going to, and that there is an alternative to slaughter. Yes, dairy animals are still beef. And are still used for beef, but thinking back to your statement: 'If people didnt eat beef your steer wouldnt have ever been born' he would be born whether or not you eat beef, for as long as you drink and use milk he wouldve been born. And how would you know, whether steers no hwo time goes by? A rooster knows to crow at the beginning of each day when the sun rises. They ahve some idea, the same way we do by the rising and setting of the sun. And its completely irrelevent whether they know wht the time is anyways. Yes, i do drink milk, milk is not hurting the animal.. in cases where the calf dies, it COULD be helping her and preventing her from mastitis.. blah blah blah. Maybe you guys get to keep your steer for 14-18months, but my most recent steers have only lived to their 1st birthdays, some live longer. Some dont. My last steer, was slaughtered on the date of his actual 1st birthday. What i dont understand is why you cant just accept it, yes some people have found other uses for steers out there. But no you continue to insist that they have no other purpose, maybe its ignorance or just lack of knowledge? Now, Frankie, can i ask a question of you? WHY, do i have to grow up? Simply because you dont agree with me, makes me immature, and in need of growing up? Why should your opinion on steers purposes determine whether or not i have to grow up?!

Two inventions over here I don't know if you have over there, one's called a tractor, we don't need oxen, we don't have to harness up anything, just add diesel and crank. Another thing is the four wheeler. It has replaced most horses on ranchs, less maintenice.

Queenie,

You have a right to your opinion, and you have a right to express it without being harrassed. You have a right to discuss your steers on this board, get advice from the board members, and give suggestions on the care of your steers on this board....without being harrassed.

I think if you stayed to the above scenario without interjecting you comments about how you personally feel in regard to using steers for beef, you would have a more enjoyable experience interacting with the people on the board.

Queenie, I have a steer here that, unless he becomes aggressive toward me or anyone else here on the farm, will stay until he dies a natural death. I love that steer...he's a real character and is a wonderful source of amusement to me. He loves having the underside of his neck scratched and loves to be talked to. I could never eat that steer.

We've also had steers here that we used for meat and that we knew would be used for meat once they were sold. It's just the way we do things here.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the steers you've raised to ride be used for anything other than that, unless it was someone being a smarta$$ while trying to get his/her point across to you. And, in light of everthing that's happened on this board recently, that behavior is unacceptable. But you must remember that the street runs both ways with that.

Enjoy your steers...raise them, ride them, care for them, and love them like others would love their own pets. It is your right...and it is your right to do so without being harrassed.

Just my 2 cents...

Alice

Alice":11kg8m70 said:
Queenie,

You have a right to your opinion, and you have a right to express it without being harrassed. You have a right to discuss your steers on this board, get advice from the board members, and give suggestions on the care of your steers on this board....without being harrassed.

I think if you stayed to the above scenario without interjecting you comments about how you personally feel in regard to using steers for beef, you would have a more enjoyable experience interacting with the people on the board.

Queenie, I have a steer here that, unless he becomes aggressive toward me or anyone else here on the farm, will stay until he dies a natural death. I love that steer...he's a real character and is a wonderful source of amusement to me. He loves having the underside of his neck scratched and loves to be talked to. I could never eat that steer.

We've also had steers here that we used for meat and that we knew would be used for meat once they were sold. It's just the way we do things here.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the steers you've raised to ride be used for anything other than that, unless it was someone being a smarta$$ while trying to get his/her point across to you. And, in light of everthing that's happened on this board recently, that behavior is unacceptable. But you must remember that the street runs both ways with that.

Enjoy your steers...raise them, ride them, care for them, and love them like others would love their own pets. It is your right...and it is your right to do so without being harrassed.

Just my 2 cents...

Alice
I think Alice about said it. :clap:

Jay

queenie,

Pay no attention to the ( :roll: ) response. Ignoring such behavior by an adult is a virture.

Alice

Cowboy 2.0":2n7ps6wq said:
queenielauren14":2n7ps6wq said:

Two inventions over here I don't know if you have over there, one's called a tractor, we don't need oxen, we don't have to harness up anything, just add diesel and crank. Another thing is the four wheeler. It has replaced most horses on ranchs, less maintenice.

some people still use oxen...I aint got nothing against tractors...think they're a good thing to have on a farm...but I still don't own one...I have mules and draft horses...they work just fine for me...takes a lot longer for them to do everything than it would take a tractor...but i've got time...I aint in no hurry...draft horses and mules go fast enough for me...it's just something my family has always been doing...so why stop now?...I hope my children and grandchildren also decide to use mules and draft horses...there's nothing wrong with it...and about 4 wheelers...I would much rather ride a horse than a 4 wheeler...they are much more maneuverable...some would say they are less predictable but I don't think so...i'd pick a horse over a 4 wheeler any day

Just my opinions though...just because something is harder to do...such as using horses or oxen, instead of a tractor...doesn't make it wrong

I agree. I just don't have the time for them. We are always busy so I don't have time to saddle or harness up.

queenielauren14":pmtpqbou said:
Im not saying you have to or should stop eating them im saying that im not going to, and that there is an alternative to slaughter.

Maybe you guys get to keep your steer for 14-18months, but my most recent steers have only lived to their 1st birthdays, some live longer. Some dont. My last steer, was slaughtered on the date of his actual 1st birthday.

I'm confused :? . First you say you don't slaughter, then you say that you do??????????????

Also, on the rooster, I use to have a rooster that would crow in the middle of the night. I assume that he saw something.

Im glad, im finally gettin a positive response from some people. cul8r- I as in ME doesnt slaughter.. my school does, and my school steers, i help raise, break in, feed, and then show, but then we have no choice they are then sent to slaughter by the school. NOT ME. my personal steer whom i own not them, will never be slaughtered. Or killed, or put down if i can avoid it. Uhm. so yeah. Well.. start my school slaughter steer in a week.. the worst part is tho, that we cant evn buy them so as to save their slaughter. They are only purchasable, dead. :(
Anyways...

queenielauren14":38hft767 said:
Im glad, im finally gettin a positive response from some people. cul8r- I as in ME doesnt slaughter.. my school does, and my school steers, i help raise, break in, feed, and then show, but then we have no choice they are then sent to slaughter by the school. NOT ME. my personal steer whom i own not them, will never be slaughtered. Or killed, or put down if i can avoid it. Uhm. so yeah. Well.. start my school slaughter steer in a week.. the worst part is tho, that we cant evn buy them so as to save their slaughter. They are only purchasable, dead. :(
Anyways...

Then you, queenie, obviously have the maturity that another poster had called into question. You still work and care for a steer that you know will go to the packer. You sound pretty well grounded to me. Good for you!

Alice

Alice":37ilr5qo said:
queenielauren14":37ilr5qo said:
Anyways...

Then you, queenie, obviously have the maturity that another poster had called into question. You still work and care for a steer that you know will go to the packer. You sound pretty well grounded to me. Good for you!

Alice

I work and care for my steers and I know they go to slaughter. What are you trying to say? It makes it all good when that check comes in.

Latest posts