my steer... opinions??

Help Support CattleToday:

Grand Chaser

Reaction score
i posted pictures of him when we first got him home right now he is 10 months and my first weigh in with him is late september. He is a Kadabra steer and he is MaineXChiXAngus. and i don't know how much he weighs right now. Hes eating at least 1 flake of hay a day and a purina pre conditioner and purina cattle grower.

And Please excuse him and me i didn't have time to brush him out and tie him up dad was running me around like crazy....
Intorducing Budd!!

yeaand.jpg

cutiewitabooty.jpg

(sorry if there huge!!)

Tori

i dont know a lot about steers, even less that there is not a side view pic. however i would say that he has a "cowy" looking face.

10 months old and one flake of hay? What size bales? I think he needs more hay - all he can eat. (I don't know anything about show animals so I could be wrong, but cattle in general need lots of roughage - if I had one penned up it would get all the hay it could eat)

Hippie Rancher":1b4mrdly said:
10 months old and one flake of hay? What size bales? I think he needs more hay - all he can eat. (I don't know anything about show animals so I could be wrong, but cattle in general need lots of roughage - if I had one penned up it would get all the hay it could eat)

I agree with you Hippie. Although our show cattle tend not to get free choice hay, unless we have one that goes off grain or has previously bloated, 1 flake isn't quite cutting it.

Try feeding hay once a day and give 2-3 flakes. To assure a good healthy rumen, the hay needs to be stemmy(however that would be spelled) so that wen they chew it up its still longer and scratches the rumen walls. THis will keep down your possibilites of bloat and they will have plenty of cud to chew.

~Britani~ 8)

here he is when we first got him on march 28th i think

topline.jpg

bigbuttz.jpg

sideofsteer.jpg

and his side profile

prettypose.jpg

i'm sorry there not the best pictures i'll have more thursday hopefully!!

And yes he dose need to be wormed i will do that tomorrow hopefully(if we still have the squeeze chute)
And he gets AT LEAST one flake all my calves eat out of the same hay ben thing. he's getting all the feed he'll eat right now it's the middle of summer and i live in Florida(hiary calves never eat good) he has fans on 24/7 and gets bathed as often as i can bath him. i do all i can do in one to 3 days a week.

Grandchaser,
I honestly hope you don't take this the wrong way.

I am hoping these pics don't do this steer justice. Please take some other shots of him and try posting him again.

Sorry.

Hi,

Did that steer come from the Auburn Sale? I live in SW Florida to and if you can go to Oakachobee (Spelling?) and buy Long Steer Fattner from Walpoles and feed him that. It's the best feed for getting weight on during the hot summer months IMO. We have all of our steers on it and we are averaging 3lbs a day. We have had to put our steers on diets to hold them for the first weigh-in.

Chris

SKF Show Cattle":zd831kxy said:
Hi,

Did that steer come from the Auburn Sale? I live in SW Florida to and if you can go to Oakachobee (Spelling?) and buy Long Steer Fattner from Walpoles and feed him that. It's the best feed for getting weight on during the hot summer months IMO. We have all of our steers on it and we are averaging 3lbs a day. We have had to put our steers on diets to hold them for the first weigh-in.

Chris

Chris,
We live in S/SE Texas, which is just as hot. Our steers are not far from this one (2wks into them). Is there anyway we can purchase/ship this kinf of feed. We need to get these babies up to weight ASAP! Help!

SKF Show Cattle":3t25er6f said:
Hi,

Chris

Yes he did! he was on the brocure(spelling??) thing! I've never heard of the long steer fattner i might give that a try this year if i have problems with getting weight on him. thank you for that information.

I was at the Auburn sale and my sister wanted that steer but she ended up buying one at the Maples sale. He is a nice steer. What fair are you taking him to?

Chris

jacobychild":2ttlfqbt said:
SKF Show Cattle":2ttlfqbt said:
Hi,

Chris

Chris,
We live in S/SE Texas, which is just as hot. Our steers are not far from this one (2wks into them). Is there anyway we can purchase/ship this kinf of feed. We need to get these babies up to weight ASAP! Help!

Chris,
I sent you a Feed Ration. Please check your PM

SKF Show Cattle":37b404j5 said:
I was at the Auburn sale and my sister wanted that steer but she ended up buying one at the Maples sale. He is a nice steer. What fair are you taking him to?

Chris

That is crazy! What steer didshe end up buying at maples?? Me and my Dad went to both sales and we liked alot of calves from both. Budd was actually my 2nd pick at auburn my first was a little pided wmw calf (black and white). He will be going to the South West Florida and Lee County Fair its in the last Friday of febuary and first week of march.

But here are the new pictures of him after a good bath and all. i know he needs to be clipped :oops:

713.jpg

713-1.jpg

7.jpg

why would you say wmw is a no no he sired the most grand champion steers in the last decade then any other club calve bull

Hey there, well... i think he isnt all that bad! He has nice muscling and a good rump, it will be good when hes finished. Now i am assuming you do want to slaughter him right? I hope not, but i guess thats what he is for... at 10months he hasnt got long to go before slaughter? How old do you guys slaughter them there? Most of ours are slaughtered at about 12months or less than 2years. I do think that he is being underfed for slaughter steer and he should be on steer mix too.. but slaughter steers are so expensive sometimes. When they are fed as much as they can eat everyday. Gosh it adds up when your not producing your own feed! I think riding steers are much more profitable in the long run, selling for thousands and thousands of dollars full grown and fully trained. Much more then any horse or any beef carcase. But do wht you will! Looks like he has character! Maybe you could reconsider his fate too?
Lauren
http://www.ridingsteers.com

queenielauren14":5uqmkp79 said:
Now i am assuming you do want to slaughter him right? I hope not, but i guess thats what he is for...
Why not? Most show steers are raised and shown until harvest weight at which time most kids take them to major County or State shows and sell them for slaughter.

I disagree with your statement that riding steers are more profitable. Show steers (for slaughter) sell for thousands of dollars in the end...whether you make the major show's auction or not. Going to majors, you've got a chance to make hundreds of thousands (i.e. the Ft Worth grand champ steer taking $100K). There is also a larger market for slaugher steers than there is for riding steers. I'm not sure how familiar you are with this show steer thing but you ought to look into it!

Jay

Your steer looks good. My sister bought the number 12 Mossy Oak steer from the maples. She is taking him to the South Florida Fair in west palm. I bought the number 32 Mossy Oak steer from the maples and he is going to the Southwest Florida and Lee county fair. My friend bought the all black WMW steer and the black and white Direct Hit steer from the Auburn sale. He's taking the black WMW to Ft. myers to.

Are you going to take your steer to some of the prospect shows?

Chris

Latest posts