Opinions on steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25

Reaction score
What's everybody's opinion on this steer? Good show steer or nah?

I am sorry, but I do not see much future as a winning show steer. He looks like he will grow well for you and could well be a good learning experience for management and feeding.

LLBUX":3sbxibbp said:
I am sorry, but I do not see much future as a winning show steer. He looks like he will grow well for you and could well be a good learning experience for management and feeding.

Thanks! That's why I asked cuz I don't know much about this stuff yet! I'm just trying to learn :D

LLBUX":lvs18hhm said:
He says he is trying to learn so now tell what the bad points and what good things you see in the steer. I can set at the fair and watch them show and pick the order I like them and it is most of the time just opposite of what the judge thinks. I would kind of like to know what they look for in a show steer also. I have also killed a bunch or them after show season and very few of them will grade on the rail. Never could see what was so good about them but they were not that good for beef.

BRYANT":2vtt3pik said:
LLBUX":2vtt3pik said:
He says he is trying to learn so now tell what the bad points and what good things you see in the steer. I can set at the fair and watch them show and pick the order I like them and it is most of the time just opposite of what the judge thinks. I would kind of like to know what they look for in a show steer also. I have also killed a bunch or them after show season and very few of them will grade on the rail. Never could see what was so good about them but they were not that good for beef.

Thanks! It would be nice to know what he does and doesn't like about him.

I have learned that everybody judges cattle differently. So LLBUX might not like him but someone else could (no offense LLBUX). It's just a matter of opinion.

I'll give you my opinion, start at the feet, he appears to toe out in the rear, in a few of the pictures, that could be the terrain and/or the picture, would like to see him a little heavier boned, he lacks width and power, as well his topline is week where it meets his shoulder, more than anything you want them to be smooth made with balance and power.
That being said he looks like he would feed out well and produce a fine carcass. He just does not have that show calf look.
Here are a few pictures of calves that I found for sale online. The Char calf is similar to yours but you can see the differences as well, the black calf has a look as well as balance to him. Granted if your calf was rinsed and primped up it might look a little different but he still would not have that look you want in a show calf.

It is like a beauty pageant for cattle, they have to have all the pieces to compete.

As far as how they hang, I think that has a lot more to do with how there fed and manipulated to look their best at show time, to many calves have peaked well before the show and are held and shrunk to make the right weight.

We had several grade prime and all the other choice, but we fed them for the end result, meat. I posted one of our fats as well.

VCC, good post sounds like you know some about it. I like to see people that can give a reason for what they are saying . Good job.

I guess I misinterpreted his question.

I see the steer as carrying too much frame.
He is light muscled, pinched and narrow behind the shoulder.
I would like to see more flair and spread in his rib structure.
The steer slopes from tail head to shoulder.
I see him as toeing out and narrow in his base width.
I see him as being too straight on his pasterns.
I would like to see him deeper in the heart and flank.
I would like to see him with heavier bone and more rugged in general.
He needs more muscle and mass to compete at the top end.

I appreciate the way his neck fits into the shoulder. The neck has adequate length and trimness as well.
He has good length, and that will hopefully allow him to grow well for the owner.

Latest posts