my steer... opinions??

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy13":ia4wm95h said:
showkid1200":ia4wm95h said:
why would you say wmw is a no no he sired the most grand champion steers in the last decade then any other club calve bull

That bull is a structural wreck. When you breed him to most anything, your just asking for a crippeled(sp) calf.

CB13 you have to watch the cow you put him on. We have had a couple really good wmw calves, nothing structurally wrong with them at all. The cows were good broody big boned angus cows. Never seemed to have a problem with them.

Full Flush is another stroy!!! :shock: we have one right now that is a structural mess. If I was a breeder, I would stay away...FAR FAR AWAY from full flush or any of his sons.

heres a picture of our mess
Its actually in his front legs. They turn out extremely bad and if he is standing too long or has been running around, his knees buckle. It looks terrible, almost like a person with their knees bent.

HHH41006.jpg

HHH1.jpg

And from what i here, most of the calves out of this sire are like this.

~Britani~

Breeding to WMW or Full Flush is a big chance just like breeding to any other club calf bull. They all throw some cripples even some of the purebred type bulls. It is not accurate to think or to stereotype WMW or Flush as bulls that always throw cripples. Here in Texas in the late 90's about everything that won was a Full Flush and now a ton of his sons are doing a lot of good.

No matter what you use them on some matings will work and some won't. I have seen cows borderline straight raise sound calves out of bulls known to throw cripples. I have also seen soggy sound commercial cows throw calves that couldn't walk at a few weeks of age out of the same bulls. Too many times we have people on the internet saying things that they don't necessarily know to be the case. Breeding show steers is a huge gamble and a person will raise a lot of common to sorry calves to get some good ones. It is no different with people who raise show pigs or sheep.

Chris- the #12 calf that your sister bought was he a big black calf?? i marked him down.

I know that i am under feeding him but thats ALL he will eat! it's way to hott for him even though he stands in the shade witht the fans on him all the time. He is getting all the hay he can eat.

Yes he is going to be a slaughter animal. Yes he dose have alot of personality and i will miss him when he's gone. he will be 18months at our fair. And hopefuly grand champ ;-)

Yes i do know wmw steer calfs tend to have structural problems and i have had one that had them. It wasn't fun. But the i was looking at calf didn't seem to have any problems that we could see.

And i have a full flush heifer that is kind of goofy and i will never show her. but is it normal for Full Flush calves to be that way?

Tori

Grand Chaser":1w9m2gyq said:
And i have a full flush heifer that is kind of goofy and i will never show her. but is it normal for Full Flush calves to be that way?

Tori

Goofy in what sort of way? Structure wise or just goofy in the head?
;-)

~Britani~ 8)

cowboy13":ba5c6rg5 said:
WMW will work on a perfectly structered cow. Looks like you need a hoof trimmer that knows that he's doing. A good trimmer could get his feet to turn back in, notice the long inside toe. The reason he's buckeling is because he's strait fronted.

We have a very experinced trimmer that we go to. Those pictures are old. Taken in March couple months after stock show i think. But even trimming doesn't really do him a whole lot of justice. Its just the way he is made and we have to accept that. We were kinda wrong in the picking, but he will be good eating :lol: :p

Would you believe that this steer.....
harry041006.jpg

Is his half brother. They were embryo calves. The difference is the Kadabra.... :roll: ;-)

~Britani~ 8)

cowboy13 said:
Looks like you need a hoof trimmer that knows that he's doing. A good trimmer could get his feet to turn back in, notice the long inside toe. The reason he's buckeling is because he's strait fronted.

Hey, thats some good eyes,

cowboy13":3aj3embl said:
3MR":3aj3embl said:
cowboy13":3aj3embl said:
Looks like you need a hoof trimmer that knows that he's doing. A good trimmer could get his feet to turn back in, notice the long inside toe. The reason he's buckeling is because he's strait fronted.

Hey, thats some good eyes,

:?: :?: :?:

looking at the toes, most people wouldnt have focused there at all and over looked it.

Mybe its somethign you show people do, but if you hadnt pointed it out I never would have noticed it.

So CB13, post some pics of your calves, you really like picking other peoples calves apart, lets see what you pick......

Well i dont know about over there, but over here we only get a few hundred from our steers. I have taken steers to the Sydney Royal Easter Show, the 6th biggest show of its kind in the world and biggest in Australia, and here even, the steers are only getting a few dollars per kilo.. when you have a 400kg live weight steer.. that isnt very much if you only get two dollars fifty per kilo, and in AU dollars thats even less... these days, in USA you can buy a horse very cheaply... cheaper everyday from wht i have heard.. these days riding steers are selling at 27thousand plus.. yes they arent very common, all the more reason to invest, because they are growing fast and fully trained animals are increasingly wanted from people too lazy to raise, train and break their own calves and steers. I hate beef slaughter, i have been doing it with school for years.. everytime, i have an excellently broken steer.. whom i love and have perfect and affectionate, and everytime this animal is taken away from me, to be made into beef.. i cant stand the thought of those precious, wonderful natured animals, who we put so much feed, time and effort into, going to be put on some fat mans plate.. i havent eaten a piece of beef, or a beef product since.. October 2004. When i lost my first steer.. a shorthorn. Now i have my Holstien baby, its easier to let them go, not much but at least i have something to come back to. Something i wont have to give up, and have slaughtered, something that is mine. Next week i will begin training up my next lot of steers.. Murray greys, (an aussie breed, not sure if you have them over there) they will be slaughtered in October this year at the nationals. These steers are even more unfortunate then those i lost short months ago in March at the sydney royal show, for these animals will not even have an auction, but will be sold on the grid price, so crap steers meat will be sold for same amount as a fine steers meat. I just hope more people could see wht fine animalsm they are, and be satisfied with milk production, rather then slaughtering them, or at least save one animal for your selves.. just to give it a go, heck if it dont work out, then slaughter it and get another right..? How people can put steers up for slaughter like that.. i dont understand.. if they were shown as steers and could survive past one show then maybe that is fair enough but here, the only show they ever go to as a steer, will be there last...
Lauren

Ok, well some people ive spoken too, have been like.. WHAT? so i never do know.. i do know they are an aussie breed.. so i dunno.. but can you guys see where im coming from at all?
Lauren

queenielauren14":3h0obmto said:
Ok, well some people ive spoken too, have been like.. WHAT? so i never do know.. i do know they are an aussie breed.. so i dunno.. but can you guys see where im coming from at all?
Lauren

Yes, most of us see where you're coming from, but you're not making much sense. If you don't like raising, training, showing a steer only to have him slaughtered, why do it?

Riding steers will never replace horses because they're not as "romantic" as a horse. The US West was built by cowboys on horses, not cows.

Since you're no longer eating meat, do you take a B12 supplement? You should.

Well.. i still love working with the animals.. i still love the experience of showing and training and learning with the animals.. i just cant stand the end part.. i do it with school programs.. so i dont get a choice in wht happens to them, they are not mine, i dont recieve the profit myself, my holstien is mine, but the lsuaghter steers arent, while i love to work with them and i love them to death, i dont liek where theyre going, and i have been known to cry and cry for days, until i got my steer.. now i dont normally cry for more then a day or so.. lol.. i sound like a sook, but i really love the animals so much. Many people ask me why i do it, if it hurts me so much, but.. liek i said, i love working with the animals too much. And im always trying to sway people into joining me in beliveing they do have another purpose rather then slaughter. I shoudl take something, but i dont, i havent had any health problems yet, so until then, im not wasting money, i must be getting my iron and stuff from somewhere else. Yes, but ridingsteers are new, we are not trying to replace or overtake horses, but we are trying to get a place in general society.. horses might be more traditional and stuff.. but at the moment steers are far more expensive, due to rareity ( is tht a word? perhaps i shoudl say rareness lol..) and are of course an exciting alternative, we dont ask to be taken in and replace horses.. just to be accpeted and considered..
Lauren

queenielauren14":2rh252sj said:
YUCK, tell me how to put a pic in and ill show 3 pics of my sydney royal steer, he got 1st in his carcase class....
Lauren

Look at the top of the Beginners Board. There are instructions there to post pictures.

Have you tried showing breeding animals or heifers and not slaughter steers? Just a thought.

Ryan

queenielauren14":18b670p4 said:
And im always trying to sway people into joining me in beliveing they do have another purpose rather then slaughter.

What purpose would that be? How can you expect anyone to take you seriously as long as you still participate in something while you're claiming it's wrong?

Latest posts