My New SAV Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:
I'll speak up, the registered Angus market has only a certain amount of buyers. All markets are set by supply and demand, insider trading helps to inflate - hold the price but that only works for awhile. The registered Angus supply is overwhelming the demand. Fact is, when you have the most of anything, usually it isn't worth the most. I can receive all the benefits of the CAB and AAA hoopla by using a $2k Angus bull on sale barn cows. Thanks Branded, make sure to keep paying your dues and fees to the AAA, a few of us might even make a dollar or two because of it.
I'm happy that some folks will work their azz off for their cattle. Myself I have a life besides cattle, even though sometimes it doesn't seem like it. Think I'll go to Florida for a few days, then off to the lake for a week.

In this region of Kentucky where Brook and I reside, Angus are in every pasture. There are Angus seedstock growers on every road. In my county, I am the only registered Simmental producer. If someone wants a Simmental or Simangus bull to put on all these Angus influenced cows, it is great for Simmental producers. Everyone bad mouths "niche" markets but there are some real advantages. The Angus bull market here is very very tough. But I am having no problem selling Simmental bulls and the price has not declined. I have very small numbers so my luck has not changed. My close friend here in the County who has a small registered Angus operation is really fighting to sell her seedstock. The supply and demand concept is tough for Angus folks.

I couldn't agree more. You were selling your bulls cheap at one time. My partner has been cutting the heads off any Angus bull that doesn't sell for more than $3k.

True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:
I'll speak up, the registered Angus market has only a certain amount of buyers. All markets are set by supply and demand, insider trading helps to inflate - hold the price but that only works for awhile. The registered Angus supply is overwhelming the demand. Fact is, when you have the most of anything, usually it isn't worth the most. I can receive all the benefits of the CAB and AAA hoopla by using a $2k Angus bull on sale barn cows. Thanks Branded, make sure to keep paying your dues and fees to the AAA, a few of us might even make a dollar or two because of it.
I'm happy that some folks will work their azz off for their cattle. Myself I have a life besides cattle, even though sometimes it doesn't seem like it. Think I'll go to Florida for a few days, then off to the lake for a week.

In this region of Kentucky where Brook and I reside, Angus are in every pasture. There are Angus seedstock growers on every road. In my county, I am the only registered Simmental producer. If someone wants a Simmental or Simangus bull to put on all these Angus influenced cows, it is great for Simmental producers. Everyone bad mouths "niche" markets but there are some real advantages. The Angus bull market here is very very tough. But I am having no problem selling Simmental bulls and the price has not declined. I have very small numbers so my luck has not changed. My close friend here in the County who has a small registered Angus operation is really fighting to sell her seedstock. The supply and demand concept is tough for Angus folks.

I couldn't agree more. You were selling your bulls cheap at one time. My partner has been cutting the heads off any Angus bull that doesn't sell for more than $3k.

Diane told me she will ship her heifers to slaughter before she will sell them under $2200. If you raise a registered Angus heifer, go to all the expense to get them to breeding age. Have them pelvic scored and bangs vaccinated. Then get then bred, AI or with an outstanding bull ( she has a very nice Boyd bull she paid well for), then confirm them bred - well, you are not making much.

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:

Good points, I am seeing similar trends here as well. Angus are still and will always be heavily used I believe, however I do see evidence of other breed bulls being used at a noticeable rate.
I saw a recent post in which Mr. Branded stated that he could quickly become the largest Angus breeder in the state. I have no problem with that and hope him the best in what ever he does. I did however instantly think upon reading that statement that it is a lot easier to move 20 or 30 bulls as opposed to 200 or 300. I have heard some area Angus breeders lamenting that there is too many around and they are getting harder to move.

$2200 is a lot to get for a bred heifer around here off the farm. Good thing y'all have that tobacco money. I sell my conditioned and bred heifers for twice the slaughter price off the farm. Most of the time I come out better than selling at the specialty - breeders sales. Between the sale commission, insurance and travel cost it's a wash. I've came to the conclusion if you don't get any enjoyment out of cattle your an idiot to have them.

True Grit Farms said:
$2200 is a lot to get for a bred heifer around here off the farm. Good thing y'all have that tobacco money. I sell my conditioned and bred heifers for twice the slaughter price off the farm. Most of the time I come out better than selling at the specialty - breeders sales. Between the sale commission, insurance and travel cost it's a wash. I've came to the conclusion if you don't get any enjoyment out of cattle your an idiot to have them.

Absolutely agree.

I'll add my 2 cents from what I see in this region. I agree with what Bright Raven and Branded have stated. As an Angus breeder around here you need to do something to stand out from the crowd. Except for a very few breeders you see the same product in every herd. The only difference is the prefix before the name. We have a neighbor who like Branded is willing to leave the herd and raise what he feels his customers want. His bloodlines look similar to some but that is where the similarity ends. He has selected for a bigger boned, framier, heavier muscled, big butted, big nutted, big gutted bull. One we call a range bull around here. He don't sell overfed yearlings. He sold 100 bulls for an avg over $5,300 this spring. He raises a few calving ease bulls but he his main goal is bulls for mature cows. His BW's are a little higher but the commercial breeder around here don't care if a calf weighs 85-90. They want a calf that will hit the ground running and either mash the scales down if a steer or make good cows if a heifer. He is the one breeder who raises and develops the type of bull the commercial breeder desires and not what some breed association, judge, AI catalog or professor says.
I would like to see Branded's cattle in person. If he was close I would likely buy one if he was in my price range. I admire his belief in his cattle and the fact he has a breeding plan other than the bull of the month plan most Angus breeders follow.

elkwc said:
I'll add my 2 cents from what I see in this region. I agree with what Bright Raven and Branded have stated. As an Angus breeder around here you need to do something to stand out from the crowd. Except for a very few breeders you see the same product in every herd. The only difference is the prefix before the name. We have a neighbor who like Branded is willing to leave the herd and raise what he feels his customers want. His bloodlines look similar to some but that is where the similarity ends. He has selected for a bigger boned, framier, heavier muscled, big butted, big nutted, big gutted bull. One we call a range bull around here. He don't sell overfed yearlings. He sold 100 bulls for an avg over $5,300 this spring. He raises a few calving ease bulls but he his main goal is bulls for mature cows. His BW's are a little higher but the commercial breeder around here don't care if a calf weighs 85-90. They want a calf that will hit the ground running and either mash the scales down if a steer or make good cows if a heifer. He is the one breeder who raises and develops the type of bull the commercial breeder desires and not what some breed association, judge or professor says.
I would like to see Branded's cattle in person. If he was close I would likely buy one if he was in my price range. I admire his belief in his cattle and the fact he has a breeding plan other than the bull of the month plan most Angus breeders follow.

It is surprising to me how many producers that buy from me talk about "increasing the birthweights". It seems to me more of the folks I deal with are not looking for calving ease. They are looking for performance. IDK, maybe the trend is changing. I know some large commercial producers who despise little calves.

Bright Raven said:
elkwc said:
I'll add my 2 cents from what I see in this region. I agree with what Bright Raven and Branded have stated. As an Angus breeder around here you need to do something to stand out from the crowd. Except for a very few breeders you see the same product in every herd. The only difference is the prefix before the name. We have a neighbor who like Branded is willing to leave the herd and raise what he feels his customers want. His bloodlines look similar to some but that is where the similarity ends. He has selected for a bigger boned, framier, heavier muscled, big butted, big nutted, big gutted bull. One we call a range bull around here. He don't sell overfed yearlings. He sold 100 bulls for an avg over $5,300 this spring. He raises a few calving ease bulls but he his main goal is bulls for mature cows. His BW's are a little higher but the commercial breeder around here don't care if a calf weighs 85-90. They want a calf that will hit the ground running and either mash the scales down if a steer or make good cows if a heifer. He is the one breeder who raises and develops the type of bull the commercial breeder desires and not what some breed association, judge or professor says.

It is surprising to me how many producers that buy from me talk about "increasing the birthweights". It seems to me more of the folks I deal with are not looking for calving ease. They are looking for performance. IDK, maybe the trend is changing. I know some large commercial producers who despise little calves.

Sounds like most of the breeders around here. Most Angus breeders don't raise what their customer desires but what someone else says they need. We have been buying our Angus from 2 breeders. May of bought our last from one of them because of their continued selection for moderate BW's. They are losing the bone and ruggedness some of their bulls had because of that. They culled some of their cow lines that produced the type of bulls breeders like me desire. I had one Angus breeder ask me to come and look at his half brothers to a bull I had bid a fair amount on. After I had looked and said I didn't see what I desired the breeder seemed surprised and started stating the CE and other credentials the dams brought. I said the difference between your bulls and the one I bid on is the dams. Yours are out of Barbie type cows and the other out of a bigger boned cow with muscling. These cows also have better pelvic neasurements, ect

elkwc said:
Bright Raven said:
elkwc said:

Sounds like most of the breeders around here. Most Angus breeders don't raise what their customer desires but what someone else says they need. We have been buying our Angus from 2 breeders. May of bought our last from one of them because of their continued selection for moderate BW's. They are losing the bone and ruggedness some of their bulls had because of that. They culled some of their cow lines that produced the type of bulls breeders like me desire. I had one Angus breeder ask me to come and look at his half brothers to a bull I had bid a fair amount on. After I had looked and said I didn't see what I desired the breeder seemed surprised and started stating the CE and other credentials the dams brought. I said the difference between your bulls and the one I bid on is the dams. Yours are out of Barbie type cows and the other out of a bigger boned cow with muscling. These cows also have better pelvic neasurements, ect

I got a laugh out of that "Barbie type cow" phase. My cattle have a good mass of bone, muscle and decent size. When I see Angus - there are exceptions like the ones at Boyd's - I get that "Barbie doll impression". I think you have started a new cliche. Lol

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:

Diane told me she will ship her heifers to slaughter before she will sell them under $2200. If you raise a registered Angus heifer, go to all the expense to get them to breeding age. Have them pelvic scored and bangs vaccinated. Then get then bred, AI or with an outstanding bull ( she has a very nice Boyd bull she paid well for), then confirm them bred - well, you are not making much.

Ron, there is a world of difference between the bull she is using and bulls like SAV President, Bubs Southern Charm, or Baldridge Colonel to name a few.

Nothing against her operation, but my AI sons bring far more to the table than that bull she is using. I've seen her cattle in working herds and the price she is getting for her animals is fair for what she is producing. She can't expect much more. It takes a lot more effort and attention to detail than what I currently see for her to get higher prices.

Also the Angus that are being produced in the area leave MUCH to be desired, hence the price and marketing issues.

plumber_greg said:
************* said:
plumber_greg said:
I have trouble figuring out why the potentially biggest and best Angus breeder in a whole state gets on a chat room like Cattle Today and spouts his rhetoric to us peons.
Why aren't the Schaffs, Herbsters, Sidenstrickers, and such regular visitors?
Don't they know this is where it's at?
Big feeling fish, small pond syndrome?

I guess you don't fully understand the web yet.

Any brand, and the one's you mentioned above are definitely a brand, are watching what is being said. I could have easily taken an anonymous screen name and trolled you guys like a cat plays with a mouse. The fact that I use my actual operation name clearly shows that I'm not lurking, and that I'm giving you far more info than you deserve about our cattle. Instead of being a troll, you should be taking notes, you may learn something.

All I can say is get with the times, Trump communicates virtually every move he makes on Twitter, and every major brand out there watches what is being said about them on the web by using Hootsuite and Google Analytics to name a few of the tracking programs.

Creek and others know better, they know that a carefully placed negative remark or rumor can spread like wildfire on the web.

Let me ask you this, did you find out about "Epic" at the feed store or by mail? Probably not, you heard it on the web instead. Bad news travels fast.

Problem is, that false rumors can cause huge, irreparable damage to an operator. If it's the truth, that one thing, but if it's sheer rumor, that nothing but gossip, and gossip can have lasting damage.

Creek would be up sh.t creek if his operation's name was plastered all over the web with nothing but negative comments by trolls. It wouldn't matter if it's the truth or not after the damage is done.

Trolls are one of the lowest life forms on the planet behind single cell organisms.

Hopefully, you don't truly think the bigger, successful breeders troll on this forum to see what is being said about their operations!!!
If you combined all the brood cows of the regular posters, I doubt it would total 2,000 head. We're very small fish, what most on here think matters to no one.
Go to a forum like agtalk , see how you get along there telling them what they don't know.
America, SAV, all your heroes and numbers, are barely discussed. There you can advise people with a combined total of maybe 100,000 head. Guess what, they're very successful cattlemen's. I'm done. GS

Plumber Greg,

Don't you know Branded is the main reason Cattle Today needed to expand server space?

We literally were bringing so much increased traffic, and posting so much new content that the CT servers crashed. Seriously!

Cattle Today is just getting warmed up. The other forums are going to be dinosaurs soon. Trust me, CT is about to become THE only cattle forum that matters.

I actually have been holding back on posting because I didn't want to crash the servers again with a highly interesting thread.

I will go all out when I hear more servers have been added and get the all clear from Admin.

elkwc said:
I'll add my 2 cents from what I see in this region. I agree with what Bright Raven and Branded have stated. As an Angus breeder around here you need to do something to stand out from the crowd. Except for a very few breeders you see the same product in every herd. The only difference is the prefix before the name. We have a neighbor who like Branded is willing to leave the herd and raise what he feels his customers want. His bloodlines look similar to some but that is where the similarity ends. He has selected for a bigger boned, framier, heavier muscled, big butted, big nutted, big gutted bull. One we call a range bull around here. He don't sell overfed yearlings. He sold 100 bulls for an avg over $5,300 this spring. He raises a few calving ease bulls but he his main goal is bulls for mature cows. His BW's are a little higher but the commercial breeder around here don't care if a calf weighs 85-90. They want a calf that will hit the ground running and either mash the scales down if a steer or make good cows if a heifer. He is the one breeder who raises and develops the type of bull the commercial breeder desires and not what some breed association, judge, AI catalog or professor says.

Sounds like Branded raises exactly what you need. I absolutely have no need for a 2000 lb cow. A big overgrown high BW bull on cows as a terminal cross is appealing one out of three years. But the managemen required to keep a high BW bull away from heifers is not a realistic possibility in our rotational grazing setup. Cows are easy to keep happy, all they need is to be fed, bred and water. A bull has only one thing on his mind, and to make matters worse, he can smell a cow in heat up to 6 miles away.

True Grit Farms said:
elkwc said:

Sounds like Branded raises exactly what you need. I absolutely have no need for a 2000 lb cow. A big overgrown high BW bull on cows as a terminal cross is appealing one out of three years. But the managemen required to keep a high BW bull away from heifers is not a realistic possibility in our rotational grazing setup. Cows are easy to keep happy, all they need is to be fed, bred and water. A bull has only one thing on his mind, and to make matters worse, he can smell a cow in heat up to 6 miles away.

That's why you have VERY hot electric in place. I can keep them separated with a couple lines of polywire. I have very little permanent interior fence, and rotationally graze constantly.

What you say about keeping bulls separated is true, most producers don't want to go to the extra effort to have different bulls for different groups.

Hence the Barbie cow

************* said:
plumber_greg said:
************* said:

Any brand, and the one's you mentioned above are definitely a brand, are watching what is being said. I could have easily taken an anonymous screen name and trolled you guys like a cat plays with a mouse. The fact that I use my actual operation name clearly shows that I'm not lurking, and that I'm giving you far more info than you deserve about our cattle. Instead of being a troll, you should be taking notes, you may learn something.

All I can say is get with the times, Trump communicates virtually every move he makes on Twitter, and every major brand out there watches what is being said about them on the web by using Hootsuite and Google Analytics to name a few of the tracking programs.

Creek and others know better, they know that a carefully placed negative remark or rumor can spread like wildfire on the web.

Let me ask you this, did you find out about "Epic" at the feed store or by mail? Probably not, you heard it on the web instead. Bad news travels fast.

Problem is, that false rumors can cause huge, irreparable damage to an operator. If it's the truth, that one thing, but if it's sheer rumor, that nothing but gossip, and gossip can have lasting damage.

Creek would be up sh.t creek if his operation's name was plastered all over the web with nothing but negative comments by trolls. It wouldn't matter if it's the truth or not after the damage is done.

Trolls are one of the lowest life forms on the planet behind single cell organisms.

Hopefully, you don't truly think the bigger, successful breeders troll on this forum to see what is being said about their operations!!!
If you combined all the brood cows of the regular posters, I doubt it would total 2,000 head. We're very small fish, what most on here think matters to no one.
Go to a forum like agtalk , see how you get along there telling them what they don't know.
America, SAV, all your heroes and numbers, are barely discussed. There you can advise people with a combined total of maybe 100,000 head. Guess what, they're very successful cattlemen's. I'm done. GS

Plumber Greg,

Don't you know Branded is the main reason Cattle Today needed to expand server space?

We literally were bringing so much increased traffic, and posting so much new content that the CT servers crashed. Seriously!

Cattle Today is just getting warmed up. The other forums are going to be dinosaurs soon. Trust me, CT is about to become THE only cattle forum that matters.

I actually have been holding back on posting because I didn't want to crash the servers again with a highly interesting thread.

I will go all out when I hear more servers have been added and get the all clear from Admin.
you realize that if you canned the unending majority of those post ..that it would still be clucking right along like it did..id rather read 2 pages of good info, then the 15 or 20 of the same ol same ol..

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Food for thought. My purebred black Simmentals also get full benefit from the CAB program. Thank you!

Yes they do. You will not hear me complaining about CAB,

Food for thought. My purebred black Simmentals also get full benefit from the CAB program. Thank you!

Not necessarily, some Simmental cattle are sold as Angus beef, but very few if any are sold as CAB. Some reports claim 96% of all CAB sold is actually pure Angus beef. Don't feel bad my mutts don't qualify for CAB either.
https://youtu.be/Xt3ARoloEm8

Bright Raven said:

Yes they do. You will not hear me complaining about CAB,

You get to sell on the Angus bandwagon like the rest of us Ron. But yes we all benefit from CAB.

************* said:
plumber_greg said:
************* said:

Plumber Greg,

Peak user count was in Nov. 2018. Server upgrade had nothing to do with you, CT servers have been crap for a while, and I'm glad they finally got improved.
Can't wait for you to go "all out." :roll:

Every one of my black steers going thru the Cornell feedlot qualified for CAB and I received the premium. This was back in the 90's, when "Purebred" was more popular than what it is now, with many breeders using 75% and 50% bulls.

AAA would like everyone to think 96% qualified were purebred Angus.

That video was interesting. It states "we start with Angus". That is false - they start with cattle that are at least 51% black hided with beef traits (no dairy cattle qualify). Interesting, also, that only 3 out of 10 qualify. I had heard that most Angus couldn't qualify - mainly because of the size of the ribeye - no facts to this - just something I heard, so it is at least true that most don't qualify "for some reason". I would imagine some don't qualify because of Yield Grade - too fat.

All ragging/kidding aside - The CAB program has been a great benefit to BEEF - all beef - all breeds.

Latest posts