My New SAV Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

YoungAngusCattle

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to raising cattle and extremely new to building an angus herd. I took over my grandfathers farm, at the age of 21, when he passed away 6 years ago and have been slowly replacing the commercial cows with purebred angus with the goal of selling seedstock and local consignment sales.

I bought my first purebred angus bull this winter from the SAV sale, I know there has been some heated discussions about SAV genetics around here but they must be doing something right to have 1500 buyers there every year. I would like some constructive criticism on my yearling bull, I am new to this and nobody really ever taught me how to select animals and I didn't have a whole lot to spend on a bull with all the infrastructure upgrades I have to do around here.

SAV President 8729
Reg # 19249619

IMG-0009.jpg

IMG-0010.jpg

IMG-0034.jpg

I'd say he's pretty darn nice and a step in the right direction. Have you thought about doing any AI?

I have been dooing AI for the last 3 years. I want to venture into the world of embryo transfers sometime soon.

Here's another photo.

President8729-2.jpg

I could not get the AAA website to bring that bull up by either name or registration #. Is there a Typo?

Btw: deep, wide. Nice bull.

Coosh71 said:
He's a solid bull YA. how old is he now

He was born 2-9-18.

I think he looks a little bit knee knocked, but not bad enough to effect the soundness of his offspring. Also his EPDs aren't the best, his CED is slightly below average and his $E and $B is slightly too low. Although these are low accuracy numbers so he might creep back toward average and I don't like to get caught up on numbers unless they are mind boggling below average or extremely high. I believe in everything in moderation is better.

Bright Raven said:
I could not get the AAA website to bring that bull up by either name or registration #. Is there a Typo?

It doesn't look like it's wrong, but here is the direct link. Must be operator error ;-)

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.aspx?aid=FAAAAO%2fyuB0OB%2f70gHWBwZRz42b%2flabdlxx46HfSt3AuPUKL&time=LAAAABZchDEwaqZnyXouncdhHnoK9Qm2l52ceY2KLuI7o1Yu8Dbn%2f9rhbd0W8vNev7CONQ%3d%3d

YoungAngusCattle said:
Bright Raven said:

It doesn't look like it's wrong, but here is the direct link. Must be operator error ;-)

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.aspx?aid=FAAAAO%2fyuB0OB%2f70gHWBwZRz42b%2flabdlxx46HfSt3AuPUKL&time=LAAAABZchDEwaqZnyXouncdhHnoK9Qm2l52ceY2KLuI7o1Yu8Dbn%2f9rhbd0W8vNev7CONQ%3d%3d

Thanks.

What would you guys recommend for sires to AI my purebreds to to great offspring that would mix well with these SAV lines for this guy to bred? He won't be turned out with the cow herd till next year but I will let him bred a few younger cows so he can learn how to wine and dine the ladies before he has to worry about covering the whole herd.

YoungAngusCattle said:
What would you guys recommend for sires to AI my purebreds to to great offspring that would mix well with these SAV lines for this guy to bred? He won't be turned out with the cow herd till next year but I will let him bred a few younger cows so he can learn how to wine and dine the ladies before he has to worry about covering the whole herd.

Your bull looks good. My advice is to use him. Treating him like a china doll won't help return your investment in him. Most breeders provide a first year breeding warranty so he should be covered for any injuries. Also by using him the first year you will find out whether you like his calves or not. If he was mine I would run him by himself for first few days of season and watch him in service. Then I would watch for those same cows the next cycle. A decent yearling can breed 30 to 35 cows if he is fertile and a capable breeder and doesn't have to fight to get the right to service the said females.

YoungAngusCattle said:
I was told a young bull should service 1 cow per 1 month of age.

That is a conservative estimate. We run one yearling to 20 cows in multiple sire groups routinely. We expect 80% conception first cycle. Granted there are some bulls that are just poor breeders. My personal experience says the higher HP epd bulls settle more cows. At least that is the way it has worked the last two breeding seasons. If a well grown out yearling can't breed and settle 20 cows he isn't worth much. He most likely won't be very effective as a two year old either.

W.B. said:
YoungAngusCattle said:
I was told a young bull should service 1 cow per 1 month of age.

That is a conservative estimate. We run one yearling to 20 cows in multiple sire groups routinely. We expect 80% conception first cycle. Granted there are some bulls that are just poor breeders. My personal experience says the higher HP epd bulls settle more cows. At least that is the way it has worked the last two breeding seasons. If a well grown out yearling can't breed and settle 20 cows he isn't worth much. He most likely won't be very effective as a two year old either.

Do you think yearling scrotal circumference is a better indicator of a yearling bulls ability to cover that many cows? He measured at 38.80 as a yearling. I would think that would be a better measuring stick than HP, plus he doesn't have any HP numbers in his EPD profile. Why is that?

We run a yearling on 20+ head no problems. Looks like he's in good condition and could handle em just fine. Edit to add Good bull i like his width!

YoungAngusCattle said:

Congrats on your President son. Nice bull. Here's some unsolicited advice, get him Angus GS tested.

I would cross the daughters of this bull with VAR genetics, or Bubs Southern Charm.

If you want to turn up the notch a bit, breed them to Byergo Titus or Black Magic via sexed semen.

Our President son will go to work for us this fall.

I have big expectations for him.

Nice bull. I would go ahead and start using him- you only loose money by feeding him without using him. Hope my new black bull calf turns out like that!

Nice bull, very tightly bred, the result of a 1/2 brother 1/2 sister mating.
Because May 4136 is the mother of both of his parents, I expect his epds will mirror her epds.

IF you owned May what would you breed her to for replacement females?
(That's what I'd breed your bull's daughters to.)

IF I owned May I'd breed her to a bull with Leachman Right Time in his pedigree....
(but that's just me.)

Son of Butch said:
Nice bull, very tightly bred, the result of a 1/2 brother 1/2 sister mating.
Because May 4136 is the mother of both of his parents, I expect his epds will mirror her epds.

IF you owned May what would you breed her to?
(That's what I'd breed his daughters to.)

IF I owned May I'd breed her to a bull with Leachman Right Time in his pedigree....
(but that's just me.)

I would breed her to VAR Power Play 7018.

That would be some rare air in my opinion, or for some even rarer air, VAR Explorer 6293.

Latest posts