My New SAV Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch said:
Nice bull, very tightly bred, the result of a 1/2 brother 1/2 sister mating.
Because May 4136 is the mother of both of his parents, I expect his epds will mirror her epds.

IF you owned May what would you breed her to for replacement females?
(That's what I'd breed your bull's daughters to.)

IF I owned May I'd breed her to a bull with Leachman Right Time in his pedigree....
(but that's just me.)

She is no longer alive I believe.

W.B. said:
YoungAngusCattle said:
I was told a young bull should service 1 cow per 1 month of age.

That is a conservative estimate. We run one yearling to 20 cows in multiple sire groups routinely. We expect 80% conception first cycle. Granted there are some bulls that are just poor breeders. My personal experience says the higher HP epd bulls settle more cows. At least that is the way it has worked the last two breeding seasons. If a well grown out yearling can't breed and settle 20 cows he isn't worth much. He most likely won't be very effective as a two year old either.

I disagree about if a yearling can'tbrred 20 cows he isn't worth much and won't be effective as a 2 y/o. We are each entitled to our opinion. I've learned from experienced cattlemen and from experience over 55 years.

W.B. said:
A decent yearling can breed 30 to 35 cows if he is fertile and a capable breeder and doesn't have to fight to get the right to service the said females.

I'd love to have one that could. But I've never seen a yearling here that could cover 30-35 cows and maintain enough condition to grow off like he is supposed to. Maybe there are some that can. Maybe with an abundance of nutrition it would be a different story.

YoungAngusCattle said:
Coosh71 said:
He's a solid bull YA. how old is he now

He was born 2-9-18.

I think he looks a little bit knee knocked, but not bad enough to effect the soundness of his offspring. Also his EPDs aren't the best, his CED is slightly below average and his $E and $B is slightly too low. Although these are low accuracy numbers so he might creep back toward average and I don't like to get caught up on numbers unless they are mind boggling below average or extremely high. I believe in everything in moderation is better.
Do you mean cow hocked? cause I don't see it..

ALACOWMAN said:
YoungAngusCattle said:
Coosh71 said:
He's a solid bull YA. how old is he now

He was born 2-9-18.

I think he looks a little bit knee knocked, but not bad enough to effect the soundness of his offspring. Also his EPDs aren't the best, his CED is slightly below average and his $E and $B is slightly too low. Although these are low accuracy numbers so he might creep back toward average and I don't like to get caught up on numbers unless they are mind boggling below average or extremely high. I believe in everything in moderation is better.
Do you mean cow hocked? cause I don't see it..

structure3.gif

His knees don't look nearly as bad as this diagram, but in the photo of the front of him his knees look to go in a little bit. I could just be seeing things though. Like I said I'm fairly new to this so I up for learning more, especially about feet and legs. Everything I have learned on the subject has been through internet diagrams from extension offices.

EDIT: Maybe it's more about the way the feet are pointed.

This year we were in a similiar situation we purchased a bull that was 10 months old, and used him. He was 1 yr old on turn out day (happy birthday), 21 days later he had gotten 8 out of 9 pregnant, so we pulled him after 55 days. The only advice I can give you about young bulls, get a bse make sure he is shooting good bullets before you turn him out.

jscunn said:
This year we were in a similiar situation we purchased a bull that was 10 months old, and used him. He was 1 yr old on turn out day (happy birthday), 21 days later he had gotten 8 out of 9 pregnant, so we pulled him after 55 days. The only advice I can give you about young bulls, get a bse make sure he is shooting good bullets before you turn him out.

I've already talked to the vet about a bse to be done in May, after planting time and before my June 1st bull turn out.

W.B. said:
Son of Butch said:
Because May 4136 is the mother of both of his parents, I expect his epds will mirror her epds.

IF I owned May I'd breed her to a bull with Leachman Right Time in his pedigree....
(but that's just me.)

LOL... just my luck, I get her when she's the hardest to breed. :cry2:

But my point was, when line breeding pick the best individual (May) and the ancestor you think
(Right Time) made her the best to bring back up into the next generation.

YoungAngusCattle said:
jscunn said:

I've already talked to the vet about a bse to be done in May, after planting time and before my June 1st bull turn out.

Good idea the closer to turnout the better imo. If you did it today he could pass and get sick in April, run a fever, etc etc.. Any good vet will tell you the BSE is good for one day, and has a site guarantee (out of site out of guarantee)

They grow into the job very quickly. If I am not mistaken he is out of a full sister to Renown and Resource and by President. Very impressive, you have done well. What sort of dollars he cost you? Tell me to mind my own business if you want to.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
They grow into the job very quickly. If I am not mistaken he is out of a full sister to Renown and Resource and by President. Very impressive, you have done well. What sort of dollars he cost you? Tell me to mind my own business if you want to.

Ken

$5000. Kelly told me 411 bulls that sold at a $14k average and I forgot what he told me the females average, of course that bull average is gonna be drastically increased by selling a 1.5 million dollar bull. By the way he is super super nice and helpful to talk to on the phone, I called him and told him I was interesting in buying a bull but I couldn't make the 14 hour drive there. I told him my highest dollar was $6250 and about what I was looking for in a herd bull, he then proceeded to take the next 30 minutes with me and go through the bulls of every sire group that fit my criteria and ask me if their numbers were acceptable for me. We zeroed in on lot 24 and 25 because of the heavy 4136 genetics, lot 24 ended up going for $8000 but he was able to get lot 25. Then he called me first thing sunday morning to tell me we got a bull and the best news of all I came under budget. A couple days after I pick the bull up from a stockyard, just over an hour from me in Palmyra Missouri, he called me and asked how I liked the bull and if I wasn't pleased with him he had two other guys that didn't get a bull bought that would like him. Overall it was a top notch buying experience from Schaff and someday I would like to actually attend the sale.

PS I know you guys are gonna freak out when I tell you I bought a bull sight unseen.

Son of Butch said:
W.B. said:
Son of Butch said:

(but that's just me.)

But my point was, when line breeding pick the best individual (May) and the ancestor you think

Don't worry they sold a 4136 clone as the lead off to the female portion of the sale.

I wish I could justify the $200 to buy actual Right Time semen, what are some popular Right Time offspring?

Very nice bull. Didn't look at his numbers but He looks like a herd builder to me. I wouldn't wait I'd go ahead and use him, but I try not to overload my yearling bulls, say 15 cows or so.

YoungAngusCattle said:
Son of Butch said:
W.B. said:

Don't worry they sold a 4136 clone as the lead off to the female portion of the sale.

I wish I could justify the $200 to buy actual Right Time semen, what are some popular Right Time offspring?

I have a great granddaughter of Leachman Right Time.

http://bit.ly/2HrJuHc

She is settled to SAV President right now.

If you're AI'ing your herd, isn't this guy your cover bull? If so you don't need to be too worried about how many he's going out with. And if you're just using one bull to cover and doing timed AI, set your cows up in separate groups for different days. You don't want your cover bull attempting to cover 5 cows in one day (I made that mistake).

Nice Bull

wbvs58 said:

Ken

You aren't kidding!

My President sons are growing fast, and have done so since day one.

This video is of my older one at 183 days. From what I've heard SAV weans right before 280 days which is the max Angus will allow reporting on. I will wean this guy at about 260-270 days. So he's got plenty of growing left. He's not on a creep feeder.

http://bit.ly/2F3CRbC

The President son on this thread was a GREAT DEAL! No way would I let mine go for that price. There aren't many out there in circulation.

Mine is going to work in September. Can't wait.

Latest posts