My new bull

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
Here's my new 16 month old brangus from oklahoma, 0.8 BW and a 680lb 205. I'm sure most of you won't like him, but I'm pretty sure he's good enough for me.

I feel better....I've been looking at some Brangus too. What's up with their top line and sheave? Do they tend to grow out err into it? Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher":39bbi19i said:
I feel better....I've been looking at some Brangus too. What's up with their top line and sheave? Do they tend to grow out err into it? Thanks in advance.
You'll notice that alot less in a year, and these are not the best pictures, just all he would let me take today.

M5farm":cyvhyfcs said:
DMF I like him. But what matters is if you like him and he gives you what you want.
Well, I think he will give me as high selling calves out of my cows as any bull, and as long as he calves easy those are my 2 main concerns.

DMF, do you keep replacements? Just curious because of the way you worded your last answer and because I'm not sure I get what your model is (I'm sure you've explained it plenty in the past.)

They run alot of good Brangus in OK it seems. Good pick Denver! I was going to look at some Steiner bulls this summer but they sold the farm before I got there...I sure need a good bull right now. I took your advice and let my heifers go another few months and they look ready for a bull today!

artesianspringsfarm":2dgc9cdt said:
DMF, do you keep replacements? Just curious because of the way you worded your last answer and because I'm not sure I get what your model is (I'm sure you've explained it plenty in the past.)
I do keep some replacments, I keep maybe 5 or 10 heifers a year, only the very top. I use to keep all my heifers but with the feeder market so good I feel like I'm making more money selling my heifers at 800lbs and putting maybe as little as 200$ with what I get from that heifer to buy a 3rd stage cow, I then have something to sell atleast 1 year quicker.

I didn't word that the best way I guess, mainly I'm trying to have all my calves at 800 to 850lbs at 12 months, I wean at 6 to 7 months and then feed, so I don't have much trouble getting what I want them to do.

Kingfisher":1rtrgf1u said:
They run alot of good Brangus in OK it seems. Good pick Denver! I was going to look at some Steiner bulls this summer but they sold the farm before I got there...I sure need a good bull right now. I took your advice and let my heifers go another few months and they look ready for a bull today!
I don't remember what I told you, but if you waited I bet you'll be happier in the long run.

The guy I bought my bull from had a friend that also has good bulls, and then he told me of a few that in his opinion don't cull enough and sell to many bulls for breeding that should have been cut. But I agree there is alot of good brangus cattle in ok.

Kingfisher":71kcs71h said:
You told me to wait and they would be better cows in the long run. Thanks again.
That sounds like me. It would take alot to convince me that I'm wrong on that as a general rule, I know there are plenty that do ok breeding at 14 months but it sure aint for me.

I like him Denver!! We don't have eared cattle back here where I am at, but I was thinking about how much height he could put on calves from a set of short herf cows that I bought for $800 a head!!

M5farm":2fdngikj said:
DMF I like him. But what matters is if you like him and he gives you what you want.
Very true all that matters is that you like him. I have seen young bulls that look good and as they get older they don't and vice versa. I am always nervous about calves out of a new bull no matter what his numbers are. Never figured out how to sell a dead calf.

They say keep the 3 yr olds and leave the 2 yr olds for the young Cowboys! Made me feel better! :). Merry Christmas! How about that horse your suppose to get? What's he for.....when that Dodge needs a clutch disc!?!? ;).

jasonleonard":1ha02l0m said:
I like him Denver!! We don't have eared cattle back here where I am at, but I was thinking about how much height he could put on calves from a set of short herf cows that I bought for $800 a head!!
Your making my ears stand up talking about 800$ Herefords, I'd like to see them.

That's mostly what this new bull will be used on.

Kingfisher":3lpq5db1 said:
They say keep the 3 yr olds and leave the 2 yr olds for the young Cowboys! Made me feel better! :). Merry Christmas! How about that horse your suppose to get? What's he for.....when that Dodge needs a clutch disc!?!? ;).
Naa, the horse is for a new idea I have, our mail service is so bad around here I'm thinking about starting a new business delivering mail in a timely manner for 25 cents. i haven't decided on a name yet, but I'm thinking something like the pony express, that's original isn't it?

denvermartinfarms":3v4y8j9d said:
Kingfisher":3v4y8j9d said:
Naa, the horse is for a new idea I have, our mail service is so bad around here I'm thinking about starting a new business delivering mail in a timely manner for 25 cents. i haven't decided on a name yet, but I'm thinking something like the pony express, that's original isn't it?
Great idea, and an even better price. I'll be your first customer. I need to send 5 Christmas presents to friends and relatives. Two go to South Texas, one to California, one to Michigan, and some pink chaps and a rainbow colored saddle for a recent Arkansas flatland transplant that's a little light in the loafers. Do I give you the $1.25 when you get here? Or after delivery conformation?

Latest posts