My German Shepherd Hates My Neighbors

Help Support CattleToday:

Snider_Angus

Reaction score
Ive had my dog for 2 years now and for about the last 6 months he has chased my neighbors car and chewed up their bumper. We've tried numerous ways to try and stop him but the only way that works is to tie him up or put him in his kennel. They absolutley refuse to go the other way and the way they go now is 3 miles extra and the road is horrible. We used a shock collar and when he would chase them we'd shock him but all it seemed to do was anger him more. i need some ideas so i dont have to get rid of him.

Snider_Angus":iomuy8et said:
Ive had my dog for 2 years now and for about the last 6 months he has chased my neighbors car and chewed up their bumper. We've tried numerous ways to try and stop him but the only way that works is to tie him up or put him in his kennel. They absolutley refuse to go the other way and the way they go now is 3 miles extra and the road is horrible. We used a shock collar and when he would chase them we'd shock him but all it seemed to do was anger him more. i need some ideas so i dont have to get rid of him. oh and P.s. I hate MY NEIGHBORS.
Angry in Oklahoma

Better hope this dog never grabs one of your neighbours while they stand on a public road - you would be ruined in no time.

Anger - a very controlling emotion.

Seems it is a like owner - like dog situation.

Ever think that the problem could stem from this?

Maybe you ALL need counselling.

Otherwise beat the snot out of the dog and hate your neighbour more?

Sounds like there is more to this than the topic might indicate.

Good luck on this one,

Bez>

Bez>":1ep0whmz said:
Snider_Angus":1ep0whmz said:
Ive had my dog for 2 years now and for about the last 6 months he has chased my neighbors car and chewed up their bumper. We've tried numerous ways to try and stop him but the only way that works is to tie him up or put him in his kennel. They absolutley refuse to go the other way and the way they go now is 3 miles extra and the road is horrible. We used a shock collar and when he would chase them we'd shock him but all it seemed to do was anger him more. i need some ideas so i dont have to get rid of him. oh and P.s. I hate MY NEIGHBORS.
Angry in Oklahoma

Better hope this dog never grabs one of your neighbours while they stand on a public road - you would be ruined in no time.

Anger - a very controlling emotion.

Seems it is a like owner - like dog situation.

Ever think that the problem could stem from this?

Maybe you ALL need counselling.

Otherwise beat the snot out of the dog and hate your neighbour more?

Sounds like there is more to this than the topic might indicate.

Good luck on this one,

Bez>

This is a classic case of the owner not controlling the dog. The minute the dog leaves your property he is a problem. Either fence the yard or shoot the dog.

Snider_Angus":11djvn7x said:
Ive had my dog for 2 years now and for about the last 6 months he has chased my neighbors car and chewed up their bumper. We've tried numerous ways to try and stop him but the only way that works is to tie him up or put him in his kennel. They absolutley refuse to go the other way and the way they go now is 3 miles extra and the road is horrible. We used a shock collar and when he would chase them we'd shock him but all it seemed to do was anger him more. i need some ideas so i dont have to get rid of him.

I had a red Doberman once and she used to go bonkers when the neighbor from down the road went by in her car. The car made this rattle when it turned the corner, so we figured that it was the sound of the car that got her riled. Well, the neighhbor traded cars and the dog still went nuts. One day, the neighbor was across the road about to get out of her car when my dog ran out of the gate and penned her in. The dog just got on her back legs and kinda leaned on the front door and wouldn't let her out. Not growling or anything, but not letting her out of the car.

So I guess it was the neighbor and not the car the dog hated. Turned out, the dog had good sense, as the woman was later caught selling pot to kids.

I think that some dogs had a natural sense for thses things. There may be a reason for your dog's behavior. Do you get along with them? Maybe it is the car making some noise that only your dog can hear?

This is an amazing board you have one post after another about dog problems with the neighbors dog. Now a dog is harrasing someone off the property and you defend the dog.
Still the dog owners fault control your dog.

I'm not saying he doesn't need to control the dog, and I think that the poster is aware that he needs to do so. I was simply relating a similar experience. Having had to save my son from dog attack, I know how bad it can be. I won't discount, though, that dogs have instincts about people and things that we don't always pick up on right away. There are even dogs now that are trained to smell cancers in people.

A dog that hates the neighbors is bad news no matter the reason. I think that the dogs needs additional training or to find another home. Deputies told me that if I am on my land and the dog attacks, I can do what I like, including kill it. I will do what I have to do to protect me and mine, and I have done it before.

Lammie - law is pretty clear - control the dog or destroy it.

Owner is the problem in this case.

Dog instinct? Not an issue as long as it is under control. Otherwise law takes precedence.

From what I read above, owner has anger probs as well - and likely is as much a part of the problem as the dog.

Bez>

Hope you paid for the bumper to get repainted. Caustic is right on this one. Dogs should not leave their property, period. There is no excuse for a dog to be attacking vehicles, animals or people.

snider_angus,you are real close to gettin yourself into a no win situation,keep your dog on your property period.
What are you going to do if your dog bites them and or they run over your dog ?..................good luck

If your dog understands youre in control he will obey you (that doesnt mean beat him).

Catch him doing it (maybe set it up) and have a very effective way to change his behavior.

You can either stop him before he starts, block the mind set.

OR

Obedience him once he does it. My dog hates water and if he were doing that a quick jet of the hose would make him think twice from then on.

Be stern and make sure the dog understands you call the shots

German shepherds are a one owner pet, they will protect you to your dying day or theirs. I would take him to an obedience class, to learn how to train him, and or get a DVD on dog training. I use to raise G. Shepherds, and they are highly trainable, but it needs to be started at puppy age. I would call a professional trainer and see if they can still help the dog. A dog who chases cars, won't be alive very long.

GMN

GMN":3pyq645w said:
A dog who chases cars, won't be alive very long.

GMN

I don't think the dog is chasing cars - I think he's chasing one particular car, and I would be willing to bet he's doing it because of the owners attitude and feelings towards these particular neighbors, and the dog is picking up on that. ;-)

GMN":2tyntit4 said:
German shepherds are a one owner pet, they will protect you to your dying day or theirs. I would take him to an obedience class, to learn how to train him, and or get a DVD on dog training. I use to raise G. Shepherds, and they are highly trainable, but it needs to be started at puppy age. I would call a professional trainer and see if they can still help the dog. A dog who chases cars, won't be alive very long.

GMN

I love German Shepherds...wish I had one! Anyhoo...

The last of my 3 rescued dogs (a Terrier mix that has a Pit body) was rescued when he was about 2-3 months old...found him in a ditch in the country. I shortly thereafter had him checked by Vet, vaccinated/de-wormed, and neutered. He started his training (positive reinforcement) with me as a puppy. Now, at about 8 years old is a loyal 65# dog and responds to voice commands and will not go out our front gate. He knows the limits of "his" territory. He follows me wherever I go on our property. Doesn't bother our horses or cattle. Tolerates our barn cats. I'm NOT sure what he would do if a "bad person" came on our property (or) someone tried to harm me...I wouldn't want him to grab ME in anger...

Bottomline: Key to dog control and obedience is positive reinforcement training started at an EARLY age...as a puppy. (Same applies to Longhorn Cattle). They need to know WHO is #1 and to respect #1. YOU are #1 dog (or bull or cow)...they must not forget that. NO aversive punishment! Serious punishment (hitting, kicking, shocking, etc., tends to reinforce aggression). A dog that can't be controlled by VOICE commands alone is a loose cannon waiting to be fired...

JMO

The dog may know something we don't.Maybe the neighbor has done something to the dog.Unfortuneately we can't talk to the dog and the law doesn't either.The dog has to be kept from harming someone else or the owner can loose a lot.Some things just aren't simple or fair :(. Either way the dog should stay at home.

I just made a long distance mind meld with your dog. He is upset because the neighbor has been bad mouthing him to all the local Females. I told him just becasue someone called him a mongrel curr doesnt mean he needs to act like one. He agreed. My bill is in the mail. He may need some follow up counseling, that will only be half price. :lol:

i found a good home for him and he is leaving later today. its in town and i really dont think he will do good. this guy works on oil rigs and he was gonna take him with him.

That dog just needed a good whoop'n.

Tie him up where he could see them go by. When they go by and the dog gets up like he wants to go after the car you shoud have walked over there and popped him good on the butt and said "get out of there".

Not with you hand and let out a nagging "Quit it Lucky". I am talking about keeping a leather belt or piece of sash cord by the door and double it up, maybe even a hot shot. Pop him good once and use and authorative voice... no need to yell, or continously hit the dog.

Not much i can do know since he's not mine aymore. Today had to be the saddest day of my life. i walked to the barn today and i thought about how he would never be right there at my side. i dont care if he is a hellion or an angel i raised him from when he could fit in my hand and now after 3 years i can tell him to do anything and he would do it and he wouldnt do anything anyone else said. i had to tell him to get in the pickup cause he wouldnt listen to my dad, the lady, or my mom. i really hope i never ever have to do that again.

Snider_Angus":2urm6blf said:
Not much i can do know since he's not mine aymore. Today had to be the saddest day of my life. i walked to the barn today and i thought about how he would never be right there at my side. i dont care if he is a hellion or an angel i raised him from when he could fit in my hand and now after 3 years i can tell him to do anything and he would do it and he wouldnt do anything anyone else said. i had to tell him to get in the pickup cause he wouldnt listen to my dad, the lady, or my mom. i really hope i never ever have to do that again.

I'm sorry, I know you feel bad. Buut I think you made the right decision. I would not want to lose the dog, but then again I would not to lose the farm either. Not for a dog.

Latest posts