My team

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
Here is my working dog team.
Jedda, black Kelpie about 9 months. She wanted to work straight out of the box, has a good sense of knowing where the cattle are going to and will make sure she gets them all through that gate even if she does rush them a bit. Jedda was a freebie.

No 2 Kelpie is Tilly, black and tan registered bitch 6 months of age. She has been joining in and working very well, has a good role model in Jedda. I will be weaning the calves next month so Tilly will get some intense yard work on a daily basis. Yes, she is dragging a lead at the moment, going through that silly stage where she doesn't want to be caught.

No3 is Milly, Border Collie bitch 4 years. A bit of a story to Millie. She was a very disobedient and irrational young dog and she was disrupting my good male Kelpie Jed who I lost to a Dingo. My wife suggested we see if my brother in law Ray would like Millie as a companion dog, she was 2 yrs of age and didn't seem to be getting any better. I would not have given her away but Ray lived on a small acreage in Brisbane and I thought Millie would be a great dog for him, she is very affectionate. About 4 weeks ago we got a phone call to say that Ray had died suddenly from untreated heart failure he was only 66, Millie was with Ray for 2 days before Ray's body was found in the shed where he lived so Millie has a special place here now she was a great companion to Ray and was with him when he died. Since returning to the farm she has shown a lot of maturity with her work and I will often see her heading off cows hanging off their cheek and just puts herself where she is needed. I know the breeders said her mother did not come good until over 3 years of age, Milly is on track.

And then there is Betsy.

They are all very fit, with me all day every day following the quad bike or tractor over all areas of the farm which makes them very athletic dogs as they develop. Millie came back lacking fitness and a bit over weight but has trimmed down and is now as fit as the others.
Somehow I think the order has been mixed up but I think you will work it out.

Ken
P1020354.JPGP1020351.JPGP1020340.JPGP1020342.JPG

Sounds like a young footy team, just need some bonding and experience and will come together as a real asset. Sorry to hear about your brother in law, hearts can be a real bugger when they play up. My dad has some weird stuff going on with his and was close to checking out a couple of times.

How's your daughters chook venture coming along?

Sounds like a young footy team, just need some bonding and experience and will come together as a real asset. Sorry to hear about your brother in law, hearts can be a real bugger when they play up. My dad has some weird stuff going on with his and was close to checking out a couple of times.

How's your daughters chook venture coming along?
Red, we pulled the pin on the chooks. Do you want to buy a new chook caravan. The work of it all was just a bit too much for the reward along with statutory health requirements that were over the top. Along with that Jo's health has not been too good, she fatigues very easily and got to the point she was having difficulty speaking and coordination. She has an appointment with a neurologist coming so the smart thing was to pull the pin on it.
I am a bit overwhelmed with working dogs at the moment, wasn't planned to have Millie back of course but she will never be leaving here again. When I worked the cows 2 weeks ago I locked up the two kelpies after we got them in but left Millie loose. She was very good, I bring the cows up from the outer holding yards in small groups to work and because they are so quite the are a real mongrel to get them to move but Millie took it on herself to give me a hand and was very calm yet effective, once we got them up she went outside to the shade of the tank and waited patiently until I went for the next lot. i just got to wait for the kelpies to settle like that now.
It was sad about Ray, he was not overweight nor smoked but he did have a constant battle with alcohol and depression and little exercise. All coronary arteries were clogged up and unbeknown to us his health had been deteriorating over the last 6 mths with a lot of fluid accumulating, congestive heart failure. He wouldn't go to the doctors and avoided seeing the family to get him to help. I feel it would have been very treatable with medication and surgery. He was a very talented musician, singer song writer (guitar). I guess he went the way of a lot in the music industry with battles you don't see on the surface.

Ken

Red, we pulled the pin on the chooks. Do you want to buy a new chook caravan. The work of it all was just a bit too much for the reward along with statutory health requirements that were over the top. Along with that Jo's health has not been too good, she fatigues very easily and got to the point she was having difficulty speaking and coordination. She has an appointment with a neurologist coming so the smart thing was to pull the pin on it.
I am a bit overwhelmed with working dogs at the moment, wasn't planned to have Millie back of course but she will never be leaving here again. When I worked the cows 2 weeks ago I locked up the two kelpies after we got them in but left Millie loose. She was very good, I bring the cows up from the outer holding yards in small groups to work and because they are so quite the are a real mongrel to get them to move but Millie took it on herself to give me a hand and was very calm yet effective, once we got them up she went outside to the shade of the tank and waited patiently until I went for the next lot. i just got to wait for the kelpies to settle like that now.
It was sad about Ray, he was not overweight nor smoked but he did have a constant battle with alcohol and depression and little exercise. All coronary arteries were clogged up and unbeknown to us his health had been deteriorating over the last 6 mths with a lot of fluid accumulating, congestive heart failure. He wouldn't go to the doctors and avoided seeing the family to get him to help. I feel it would have been very treatable with medication and surgery. He was a very talented musician, singer song writer (guitar). I guess he went the way of a lot in the music industry with battles you don't see on the surface.

Ken
Sorry the egg business didn't work out but pulling the pin earlier rather than later is a good decision. I'm sure you will be able to sell your chook caravan and hopefully make a bit of money on it.

My uncle, who died before i was born, was a similar story. He could never find a wife and buried himself in work and depression. Never smoked or drank to excess. Developed heart problems and when he died in his 50s they found a heap of boxes of pills under his bed that he hid instead of taking. He was like a father to my dad and he still gets emotional talking about him. He was very well off when he died, just shows money means nothing without inner happiness.

Latest posts