my first heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Around here I would definitely use a good lbw black angus. Nice looking heifers, they should make good cows for you. Be sure and get them on a good diet so they are ready to go to work for you.

The farm i work on has a feed consultant im going to talk to but what would you recommende for a diet

Nice girls. They are spoiled already.
On first calf heifers always go with low bw angus rather you like angus or not. Just saves some trouble. I don't like angus but that's what I do. Only reason I don't really like them is because there black and I like colored cows.

Till-Hill":32uu52gj said:
Progress is a DD carrier. Stay using clean Bulls you should have clean cows. I'd keep them heifers red tho and use a red Angus myself.
You'll have good heifers but you'll get docked for having red baldy calves. About 10 cents less per lbs at some local sale barns.

ez14":2urzm8ie said:
whats DD?

DD is "developmental duplication"--a genetic mutation you should try not to breed to if you can help it. Here's a fact sheet (this one is from the American Angus Assn but it's not specific to Angus):
http://www.angus.org/pub/DD/DDFactSheet.pdf

Have you studied Punnett squares and some simple genetics yet in school? DD isn't really complicated, or a big cause for concern, just something most folks are trying to breed away from when they can (to my understanding). For example, we have a cow that is a DD carrier, meaning she doesn't exhibit the disorder herself but, if bred to a DD carrier bull, may give birth to offspring which shows the disorder (multiple extra limbs: pic here: https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=d ... mp=yhs-002).

Good luck with your heifers! Do they have minerals/salt?

Muddy":28c1gt3x said:
Till-Hill":28c1gt3x said:
Progress is a DD carrier. Stay using clean Bulls you should have clean cows. I'd keep them heifers red tho and use a red Angus myself.
You'll have good heifers but you'll get docked for having red baldy calves. About 10 cents less per lbs at some local sale barns.
Your probably right but on 2 head you can finish them out and market them that way. We had been using this bull on some crossbred and clubby type heifers. Had calf make it into heavy weight class last year and cut almost 70%. http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... ed%20Angus

Haven't seen any daughters but heard they are good cows. Just what I'd do. You can always turn them black with just a change of bulls!

thanks everyone for the help. what do people think about RCR Stetson T17 Simmental Bull.

Nice looking girls you have there. A friend of mine used capitalist on some heifers this spring and said he threw some tiny calves. She seems to be pleased with him over all. May also want to look at deer valley all in, from what im hearing hes suppose to be a good bull, both are in select sire.

Thanks every one for your help. I think i need to buy more heifers so i can try all the bulls out lol :lol:

boondocks":1czy6rc5 said:
ez14":1czy6rc5 said:
whats DD?

DD is "developmental duplication"--a genetic mutation you should try not to breed to if you can help it. Here's a fact sheet (this one is from the American Angus Assn but it's not specific to Angus):
http://www.angus.org/pub/DD/DDFactSheet.pdf

For example, we have a cow that is a DD carrier, meaning she doesn't exhibit the disorder herself but, if bred to a DD carrier bull, may give birth to offspring which shows the disorder (multiple extra limbs: pic here: https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=d ... mp=yhs-002).
Very rare that a dd pregnancy ever goes full term.
The more common problem of economic concern with ddc is reabsorption of the fetus/early abortion bringing the female back into heat 30-60 days after a successful mating of 2 carriers. In the past the problem went unnoticed or was attributed to moldy feed, poor minerals or just plain bad luck.

For my location id use a angus bull, the market is better here for black baldies, than reds. With that being said id use what will sell the best in your market.

they were coughing friday. i borrowed a thermometer from my boss locked 1 up (i tried to lock the stanchion to early on the other 1 and it wouldnt put its head back in :bang: ) and took its temp it was 103.8 they look and act healthy but some times cough a little bit hoping to get some one to come look at them thinking about giving them excenel or nuflor

Im going to have the vet out to do pelvic measuring and frame scoring and was wondering if there was anything else i should have him do well hes out here

Well in my last post on here i see i didn`t update it i gave them some aspirin and time and they got better

Don;t know if you mean just a pelvic or the whole RTS (Repro Tract Scoring) but the full RTS is what is needed. Depending on what else has been done, vaccinate, worm and pour for external parasites is about it. That is our standard spring workup for heifers.

dun":30r2ddhv said:
Don;t know if you mean just a pelvic or the whole RTS (Repro Tract Scoring) but the full RTS is what is needed. Depending on what else has been done, vaccinate, worm and pour for external parasites is about it. That is our standard spring workup for heifers.
I dont know about RTS how much longer is that going to take vs just the pelvic? and just the pelvic isn`t going to tell me what i need to know?? The vet cost $120 a hour so i really dont want him here longer then he needs to be

Latest posts