my first heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

ez14

Reaction score
I bought my first heifers today :banana: and was wondering what people thought of them. Hereford red Angus cross. I cant decide what bull to breed them to :help: it has to be a select sires bull im thinking red Angus or black Angus or Hereford. I know I need better pictures

Good looking girls. Congratulations. It looks like you have a nice warm spot for them this winter too. Your area may be different than mine, but in my area I would breed them to a black angus. BWF calves sell at or near the top here.

I think there 7 or 8 months old but the guy i bought them from didnt remeber when these two where born i will have him look it up some time.

We spent a lot of time making that nice warm spot in the barn and we put in 3 stanchions for ai breeding

Im glad you guys like them im only 15 and dont have any experience picking breeding stock

Im looking for suggestions on any certain bulls you guys would recommend from select sires

From what I've read about him I would use the Select Sires Black Angus bull Connealy Confidence. Planning on breeding 2 heifers to him in the spring.

coachg":1q51jq98 said:
From what I've read about him I would use the Select Sires Black Angus bull Connealy Confidence. Planning on breeding 2 heifers to him in the spring.

:nod: I agree. I like Connealy Confidence 0100. Nice heifers you have there! Congrats! B&G

thanks for the help I just looked at Connealy Confidence 0100 looks heifer safe for sure

Not saying that Black Angus isn't the way to go because most start heifers with Angus Bulls but if it was me I would go with the Homozygous Polled Homozygous Black RCR Stetson T17 Simmental Bull and not think twice about it. He'll add the continental genetics to the British genetics and the calves would still be black baldy. Our heifers calved with extreme ease by him and the calves really impressed us with their Eye Appeal. He is definitely a sire I'll stick with on my heifers. Loved his calves, had no trouble with them, and they sell great for us. Good luck with your heifers, hope they make great cows for you.

Progress is a DD carrier. Stay using clean Bulls you should have clean cows. I'd keep them heifers red tho and use a red Angus myself.

Nice heifers. Depends of where you want to go. I would be looking at breeding them to a black angus or horned Hereford the first time around. A Charolais would be really good on them, but I wouldn't recommend it for heifers.

Latest posts