my cow wonth milk

Help Support CattleToday:

alvarez321

Reaction score
my beefmaster cow had a calv on monday.She wonth make milk for the calv.Wath can i do_Other than milk replesment.Is ther any tingh that i can do to the cow so she can milk

alvarez321":2a2eg0l7 said:
my beefmaster cow had a calv on monday.She wonth make milk for the calv.Wath can i do_Other than milk replesment.Is ther any tingh that i can do to the cow so she can milk

Try some oxytocin. If the milk is there that will get her to drop it for the calf.

We have given the cow calf-manna before and had good luck. Don't ask me why, but it works.

cfpinz

alvarez321":1s6dhszx said:

I'm not understanding. Does the cow not have any milk or will she not stand and let the calf nurse?

alvarez321":3kjy3wxo said:

I've never seen a beefmaster cow not make milk. If she isn't making milk them ship her. She is worthless without her liquid assets ;-) . If she is just not standing to let the calf nurse then you can put her in a chute or tie her up to the gate post and fold the gate back against her to hold her and put the calf under her. I might add that some cows resist this :lol:
Good luck.

you posted this on a thursday and you said your calf was born monday. If your calf wasn't milking, your calf would probally be dead. Unless you have been using milk replacer already. Some cows don't make huge bags. A little bag will be plenty to keep the calf alive and healthy. More milk just means the calf will grow better. (In theory)

If she is just not standing to let the calf nurse then you can put her in a chute or tie her up to the gate post and fold the gate back against her to hold her and put the calf under her. I might add that some cows resist this
You might even add that again! And I would suggest that you have a "sturdy" gate! - - - -and . . . . a sturdy gate "post"!

DOC HARRIS

If she st6ill isn;t letting the calf nurse there could be a good reason. Painful udder, no milk so when he does nurse it gets the teats and udder sore, etc.
Time the bottle feed the calf and ship the cow to the kill pen.

dun

Have you tried milking her yourself to make absolutely sure she's not letting down anything ? I bet he's getting something to be still alive if your not bottling him. Can you please give us some more details ?

Cow_Town":1yaz4r33 said:
Have you tried milking her yourself to make absolutely sure she's not letting down anything ? I bet he's getting something to be still alive if your not bottling him. Can you please give us some more details ?
yes i tried milking her but very little milk. I aim bottling the Calif's. She seams to be making more milk now and letting him get it maybe not a lot of it but little at a time

beefmaster_cows_007.jpg
[/
beefmaster_cows_0101.jpg
url]this is the mama cow and the calf

that cow is to thin.no wonder she dont have the milk for the calf.you need to feed her about 8lbs of feed.so you can put weight on her.an get her to milking so she can raise the calf.

alvarez321":1pfvc2ts said:
beefmaster_cows_007.jpg
[/
beefmaster_cows_0101.jpg
url]this is the mama cow and the calf
Alvarez-

I think it is time to revert (go back) to BASIC Beef Cattle FUNDAMENTALS.

A- Livestock Require Nutrition (FEED) in order to exist.
B- Cows are Livestock.
C- Cows are REQUIRED to consume forage in order to exist.
D- THIS cow is in critical (REAL) need of nutrition (FEED).
E- THIS cow has a calf.
F- The calf requires (NEEDS) nutition in order to live.
G- The cow must have feed in order to feed the calf.
H- FEED THE COW NOW!
I- Read items A through H three more times.
J- Complete item H RIGHT NOW!

Hope this helps.

DOC HARRIS

Holy crap I hadn't even looked at this thread that is one pitiful cow. Someone needs to get your attention with a piece of hickory.

Feed the dam cow!!! or put a bullet between her eyes before you starve them both to death.

Latest posts