Mud and Muck

Help Support CattleToday:

We needed this rain. The grass was just starting to take off. Feed consumption was down significantly the past two week. Its been 80+ the past couple of days. If we go back to that warm weather after this it will make things pop.

Bright Raven":314se9tc said:
herofan":314se9tc said:
It's the worst mess here that I can remember, and more rain predicted through Sunday. It's terrible putting out hay. Even the undisturbed ground gets extremely sloppy once a vehicle gets on it. I was driving along the other day, and suddenly a mud ball flew up from the tire and hit me in the face. I felt like I was on the Three Stooges. As someone said, however, the alternative is worse.

It's gettin about like this here:
2ronloz.jpg

I guarantee no one will ever accuse him of being a quitter. :shock:

cfpinz":2zpdl66j said:
TCRanch":2zpdl66j said:
We need rain desperately and it is predicted, starting later today through the weekend. All we've had so far is ice. Getting the netting off the bales was a PITA - and a good workout. Had to climb on the top ring, which was covered in ice, and under the top layer of frozen netting & hay that weighed a freakin' ton. Once I wedged myself under the layer I was able to finally knock it off. Hubby was snuggly warm in the tractor. But to his credit, he did try to pull it off with the bale speer but the netting was too frozen and just ripped.

Have him take the front end loader and squish the bale down or roll it around under pressure a bit before trying to remove the wrap.

I'll drop the bales behind the Hydrabed and roll them across the field at a pretty good clip if it's icy, helps right smart.
Thanks for the tip! It was 28 & sunny for a couple hours today so most of the ice had melted and it wasn't easy but a lot better than yesterday. BUT sleet, freezing rain, snow, more rain & ice are now predicted thru the weekend. Naturally we had our 1st calf today.

Trying to plant trees and having trouble with loose dry sand falling in and half filling the hole before I can get the tree in. Hoping for some rain here. Weather Channel says a good chance Sunday and Monday.

rain.. rain.. rain tomorrow.. rain sat.. got some #2's and some fabric down.. ugh

I think it is the worst I have seen. Put hay out last night trying to beat the next round of rain. Tractor sliding all over the place. Getting worried that the bottom will fall out next.

tom4018":2fot723s said:
I think it is the worst I have seen. Put hay out last night trying to beat the next round of rain. Tractor sliding all over the place. Getting worried that the bottom will fall out next.

Bottom is out. Some good reading on flooding here. By Monday, Maysville will have the new record for precipitation in February. We are at about 9 inches now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.courie ... /366972002

Our February 2018 flood could bring the highest Ohio River levels since the devastating flood of 1997 – and the second highest in more than 50 years.

got some gravel down.. its working.

50 and nice today. still a muddy swamp.. 50's and sunshine all week I think. Hope it dries out I only have 10 more days of hay and if I run out i'll have to really rut up to get more

ddd75":6knos2k4 said:
got some gravel down.. its working.

50 and nice today. still a muddy swamp.. 50's and sunshine all week I think. Hope it dries out I only have 10 more days of hay and if I run out i'll have to really rut up to get more
Walking across the ground is hard as there is so much water standing. Cows drinking from puddles in the pasture. Probably had 5 or more inches since Wednesday. They are saying rain again Wednesday. Sorry to hear of your hay situation, I should have enough to go until the first week of April at this rate but they should slow down. They were out grazing some today. Grass has started growing some already.

Caustic Burno":7z1sryj0 said:
Another 2.5 inches so far today.
Never seen it this wet here this sand country is just mush.

I hauled two cow pairs to the sale barn Friday. I stuck the truck trying to pull away from the chute. Had to put the 1 ton in 4WD to pull the other truck out of to the drive. It is pretty bad when you get stuck on crushed limestone.

No power at the sale barn. Trees down everywhere. They ran off of generators. They couldn't post checks etc. Really glad I wasn't buying. Their computers kept giving them glitches but she had my tickets and my tickets were right. She said she'd mail my check after they were able to calculate commissions.

Yesterday I ran up to Chico, TX There were trees and limbs down everywhere from all the ice. It was pretty bad thru Peaster. You could tell the road had been blocked and someone was cutting and piling. Brush trucks with chippers all over the place.

Our ice on trees was bad, but not nearly as bad as places north and west of me.

We got lucky. Only got about 1.2 inches from the front that tried to drown you all further south and west of us. It's muddy, and going to take a bit to dry up. Finally got some sun after 4 p.m. today and supposed to be sunny all day Tuesday. Temps are dropping though and we are supposed to get down to near freezing tonight and a for a few more nights. More like normal. Then rain forecast again for wed and/or Thurs. but maybe some sun for the weekend. Possible some snow on Thurs if it stays cold enough. CRAZY WEATHER

Caustic Burno":246pkalr said:
Roads are washed out both ways seen the Sheriff come through in a high water vehicle.
Dam CB,
Been watching the radar hammering on you and GB. It kept threatening us in South Louisiana but it would break up and slip Northward. Probably didn't get 1/4" in the lat week but didn't need it either. Grass popping out good. Cows ignoring the hay for now, but it's too early to bet on it.

From what I see in the 10 day forecast, the next spate of rainfall is not likely to be near as heavy as the last 2 were.

Tho it's just minor annoyance right now, the river beside me being up is causing problems for me in regards to drainage backups and I see that AHPS has abruptly modified the guidance since yesterday evening. Last evening, showed a smooth gradual curve slighly up and then leveling off for 36 hrs but now I see they added a big spike up to it.
(for contrast, Last Sept/Oct flood crest was at 27.1' so I'm in no danger)

Latest posts