Mud and Muck

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
We need a couple days of sunshine.
Coming down in buckets right now and we have rain in the forecast 8 out of the next ten days.
I have never seen this sand country as sloppy as this year. I may be totally wrong but I attribute this to Harvey overcharging the aquifer or getting it absolutely full.

We are in the same boat. I thought the extreme mud might be due to the two weeks of deep ground freeze followed by lots of rain. The bottom has dropped out. Suppose to start raining about 10 am and go through Saturday.

I have to move the feed bunk every couple of days as it gets too muddy for the cows to get too.
They will be sinking to their belly if I don't. Never had that problem before.

mud mud.. and mud on top of mud around here.

need to get some #2's delivered before I get any deeper

I hope it doesn't rain out now and this summer a long hot dry scorcher. It was 79 yesterday here and I was out working in a T-shirt.

Saw a couple reports that said we got between 3 and 4 inches yesterday. It's continued to rain all night and raining now. Looks like several of us have the same conditions.

Bright Raven":1s29qsvx said:
We are in the same boat. I thought the extreme mud might be due to the two weeks of deep ground freeze followed by lots of rain. The bottom has dropped out. Suppose to start raining about 10 am and go through Saturday.

I agree. We had a pretty long spell of colder than normal temps here and the ground froze deeper than it has in a long time. Then all the sudden it warmed up and rained for 10 straight days here. Makes for some muddy ground

It's the worst mess here that I can remember, and more rain predicted through Sunday. It's terrible putting out hay. Even the undisturbed ground gets extremely sloppy once a vehicle gets on it. I was driving along the other day, and suddenly a mud ball flew up from the tire and hit me in the face. I felt like I was on the Three Stooges. As someone said, however, the alternative is worse.

M-5":34udf8gf said:
Caustic Burno":34udf8gf said:
I have to move the feed bunk every couple of days as it gets too muddy for the cows to get too.

count your blessings the alternative is not fun .

That is what scares me one extreme is usually followed by another.
08 was bad 11 got people's mind right the ones that survived.

herofan":2np1kj6r said:
It's the worst mess here that I can remember, and more rain predicted through Sunday. It's terrible putting out hay. Even the undisturbed ground gets extremely sloppy once a vehicle gets on it. I was driving along the other day, and suddenly a mud ball flew up from the tire and hit me in the face. I felt like I was on the Three Stooges. As someone said, however, the alternative is worse.

It's gettin about like this here:
2ronloz.jpg

Caustic Burno":3nam81n3 said:
Finally got some rain last night but haven't checked the gauge yet. Looks like stock tank caught quite a bit so must have been a couple of inches. We needed It really bad. Were beginning to have a lot of little wild fires popping up from cigarettes being thrown out windows etc. Had no green winter grass at all.

We need rain desperately and it is predicted, starting later today through the weekend. All we've had so far is ice. Getting the netting off the bales was a PITA - and a good workout. Had to climb on the top ring, which was covered in ice, and under the top layer of frozen netting & hay that weighed a freakin' ton. Once I wedged myself under the layer I was able to finally knock it off. Hubby was snuggly warm in the tractor. But to his credit, he did try to pull it off with the bale speer but the netting was too frozen and just ripped.

We have been in the mud here something awful, had a couple good days yesterday was 80 or maybe a little over and windy. If it had stayed like that it may have dried out some but back to raining now. This time last year had already had the garden worked up, not sure when that will happen this time.

TCRanch":3trk5f6c said:
We need rain desperately and it is predicted, starting later today through the weekend. All we've had so far is ice. Getting the netting off the bales was a PITA - and a good workout. Had to climb on the top ring, which was covered in ice, and under the top layer of frozen netting & hay that weighed a freakin' ton. Once I wedged myself under the layer I was able to finally knock it off. Hubby was snuggly warm in the tractor. But to his credit, he did try to pull it off with the bale speer but the netting was too frozen and just ripped.

Have him take the front end loader and squish the bale down or roll it around under pressure a bit before trying to remove the wrap.

I'll drop the bales behind the Hydrabed and roll them across the field at a pretty good clip if it's icy, helps right smart.

we have had rain 13 out of the last 20 days......and some of those days it poured rain....
like everyone else we are living in mud right now...
but yesterday and today temps in the 70's so things are greening up in the middle of February...
been a strange winter....January got as cold as I ever recall around here.

pdfangus":3ozo8v22 said:
we have had rain 13 out of the last 20 days......and some of those days it poured rain....
but yesterday and today temps in the 70's so things are greening up in the middle of February...
Same here, tho less extreme low temps I suspect. January is usually unseasonably warm and dry and Feb cold as a hooker's heart. Not the case this year but gawd the rain!
Pouring right now and has been most of the day and 1/2 last night.
Probably won't dry out enough to do any spraying till July.....

greybeard":2p2ffftx said:
pdfangus":2p2ffftx said:
Same here, tho less extreme low temps I suspect. January is usually unseasonably warm and dry and Feb cold as a hooker's heart. Not the case this year but gawd the rain!
Pouring right now and has been most of the day and 1/2 last night.
Probably won't dry out enough to do any spraying till July.....

my lowest temp at the house was minus 9 degrees....we are not fixed for that kind of cold round here....

pricefarm":a4l62b8o said:
I agree. We had a pretty long spell of colder than normal temps here and the ground froze deeper than it has in a long time. Then all the sudden it warmed up and rained for 10 straight days here. Makes for some muddy ground
That what I attribute it too...I got ruts a foot deep were there usually isn't any

Latest posts