Moving up Fall Calvers ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am looking at moving up some well fed angus based "fall" calvers about 75 days - - from August/Sept 15th to May 10/July 4th.

What percent of the cows would you expect be there after the first, and after the second, breeding seasons ?

I think you may get 25% each year. So 50% after two years. Really limited to those who calve early in August and can catch on the first chance.

I'm going with "pretty darned unlikely" in the first year...

If they calf out on August 15th, and breed on Sept 15 (optimistic), 288 days puts you at June 29th... That's for the one that calved first and bred back in 30 days...
I think a more reasonable number for an average is Sept 5th calving, +40 days = Oct 15 = End of july for the first year...
On the second year you'll have Aug 1 calves = Sept 10th breeding = ~june 20th of calves, which gives a bit of leeway for the early and later ones.. Only after the 3rd year is your average going to be close to May.

I had a late calver this year, Aug 7th, and she bred back on the first heat, which was on Sept 15th.

I think you are right - - most of the cows would have moved up after 3 years, and then you would have the remaining group of less fertile cows to deal with.

Why don't ranchers do this more often?

I've have one reg. black Angus cow that has done that. But, I believe its out of the norm. She calved 10/12/12 then 8/27/13 then this year 6/30/14. Heres a pic!

Black and Good":3lc8lvi8 said:
I've have one reg. black Angus cow that has done that. But, I believe its out of the norm. She calved 10/12/12 then 8/27/13 then this year 6/30/14. Heres a pic!

I think I would keep that cow around that's a very good job! Have you keep any of her heifer calves?

I moved my cows from April to January. It took 3 years and of course I lost a few cows in the process. Your older cows will do fine. It is hardest on the younger cows. I would suggest that if your are going to keep replacement heifers sell yours and buy ones that will calve when you want them to. Also get ready for a long calving season.

Eric

pricefarm":2az2qptk said:
Black and Good":2az2qptk said:

I think I would keep that cow around that's a very good job! Have you keep any of her heifer calves?

Yeah! In 2012 I A.I.ed her to Eagle Eye she had a heifer. And that heifer just a heifer calf out of Lazy TV Sam U451 9/2/14 !!

Stocker Steve":36dkcl3s said:
I think you are right - - most of the cows would have moved up after 3 years, and then you would have the remaining group of less fertile cows to deal with.

Why don't ranchers do this more often?
It cost them time, money, culling cows, summer calves and no uniformity for awhile. You can just sell the fall calvers and buy spring calvers....that's the fastest way.

Stocker Steve":2sdhrcva said:
Taurus":2sdhrcva said:
You can just sell the fall calvers and buy spring calvers....that's the fastest way.

What is the discount on fall calvers vs. spring calvers in your market ?
Where did I say that? I just said the reasons already about why most ranchers won't do this process of moving fall calvers to spring calvers. Maybe it works for just you but it won't works for most ranchers in some areas.

If she is only catching up well, that alone is not a reason to keep her calves, she needs to put pounds on them too..

A lot will also depend on how long they gestate,... a lot of ours go into the 290 days, which is a good 10 day disadvantage on ones that calve at 280 or less, and I'm not going to start culling based on that alone. If they're with a bull right away, I expect them to breed back in 6 weeks or so though... Once in a while I'll have one that breeds back around 4 weeks.

Called one of the owners and had a chat. He said the dispersal includes quite a few red 3 and 4 year olds. Their "fall" calving in 2015 starts in mid July. I don't think the Texas cowboys will be bidding on these.

Stocker Steve":aou5v3m1 said:
Called one of the owners and had a chat. He said the dispersal includes quite a few red 3 and 4 year olds. Calving in 2015 starts in mid July.
Terrible timing for them calving in July.....

Our calving season has been Mothers Day ;-) to Independence Day. My cows have not had a problem calving in July. It may be related to how open my pastures are.

Stocker Steve":kli0d10e said:
Our calving season has been Mothers Day ;-) to Independence Day. My cows have not had a problem calving in July. It may be related to how open my pastures are.
Good for you that you have some time for them. No time for us to babysitting cows in middle of busiest months.

Around here calving in july and august can be really hard on the calves if the mother doesn't have LOTS of milk, the calf will overheat and dehydrate quickly. With a good momma I haven't had any problems though, Had 3 in july/august this year and it was hot, but none of them had any trouble whatsoever. The calves are all looking pretty darned good now, the 2 steers (from good old cows) are well into the 500 lbs, and the heifer born to a first timer in august is in the 350 ballpark and looks good, She's got a heck of a butt on her and a good coat of hair for the winter. I think there might be a shortage of small calves in the springtime and I might get darned good prices for them.

Nesikep":35cydh0l said:
Around here calving in july and august can be really hard on the calves if the mother doesn't have LOTS of milk, the calf will overheat and dehydrate quickly. With a good momma I haven't had any problems though, Had 3 in july/august this year and it was hot, but none of them had any trouble whatsoever.

About 10% of my cows calve later - - usually because they have SH or stein in the wood pile and they are heavy milkers.
These heavy milkers wean an average sized calf even though it was born late.
I care more about the weaning wt than the calving window.

Latest posts