Fall calving window

Help Support CattleToday:

Hogfarmer10

Reaction score
Quick question. Northeast Tennessee location. I have a group of cows that are fall calving. I usually breed them December 1 through late January/early February. Thinking about breeding November 1- January 10. This will put calves coming in August heat. Would you go ahead and breed or hold a month for September calves?

I would rather have earlier than later. We don't get very cold here but winter tends to be wet, and I think 30-40 degrees and soaking wet is hard on those little November calves.

Quick question. Northeast Tennessee location. I have a group of cows that are fall calving. I usually breed them December 1 through late January/early February. Thinking about breeding November 1- January 10. This will put calves coming in August heat. Would you go ahead and breed or hold a month for September calves?
I went to a September calving season last year and it worked well. Then just before breeding season I lost my bull. Took longer than I had planned to find a replacement, so this year we're calving now(November). I am going to work back to calving in September. My Dad always said selling time is the most important season. His thought was know when you wanna sell calves then work your breeding and calving time back from there

I start calving in mid August here on the frozen tundra. Done calving by mid September so they all are pretty good size before the snow is neck deep. Wean in the spring and sell onto spring grass, or feed them until yearlings and sell in the fall depending on how the markets look, grass availability, etc.

I turn out on Thanksgiving day every year, puts me at a September 1st date. Usually have one or two that will calve a few days early in August but nothing unmanageable. I don't like early or mid August calves with the heat and flies.

I'm in north east Alabama and we get Aug calves . This year with the drought it's been hard on calves cause momma isn't getting the best groceries.

Latest posts