Moved the cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I have made a few comments to his dad. Took it just about as far as I could without insulting dad. Unfortunately the dad has lost some good hired men over the years because of this kid. I see what looks like dad slowly weaning him off over time. It is obviously hard on dad because he does see what the kid does but he is still his son.
Unfortunately quad bikes have ways of sorting those impatient people out. Does he wear a helmet or have roll over protection?

Ken

You likely did what some "real cowboys" could have turned into a three ring circus. 😛😛😛😇
A guy does have to pat themselves on the back when a no fuss task like that is completed.
No, don't reckon any "real" cowboys, with "real" cow horses, would have turned it into a 3 ring circus. We would just ease it on over like Dave did, only could have ridden up on that ditch bank where the quad couldn't go. But yeah, I have seen people who fancied themselves to be cowboys, that would act like Dave's neighbor's kid, cause quite a few train wrecks!

I would have taken more time to catch a horse and saddle it than it took me to get the cow into the corral. Come to think about it I would have had to use the quad to go catch a horse. This time of the year around here all the horses are turned out in large pastures. No carrot munchers in a stall on this placed.
I could have got the quad up the ditch bank. My quad went the way of the buffalo a month ago. This is the wife's quad which has been rode hard and put up wet. It has been abused enough. I try not to beat on it as it is only one we have at this moment. Walking was easier on the quad and probably me too. I have no problem herding cows on foot.

I would have taken more time to catch a horse and saddle it than it took me to get the cow into the corral. Come to think about it I would have had to use the quad to go catch a horse. This time of the year around here all the horses are turned out in large pastures. No carrot munchers in a stall on this placed.
I could have got the quad up the ditch bank. My quad went the way of the buffalo a month ago. This is the wife's quad which has been rode hard and put up wet. It has been abused enough. I try not to beat on it as it is only one we have at this moment. Walking was easier on the quad and probably me too. I have no problem herding cows on foot.
Yeah, it is a lot quicker and easier to turn the key, hit the gas, and go...than it is to brush, pick feet, saddle and lunge. I have been guilty of it myself more than once. But, I have been out with the cows on golf-carts, 4 wheelers, side-by-sides, etc, and several times I ended up wishing I was on a horse. But, I have never been handling cows on horseback, that I wished I was on one of them, instead. :) I have used a Polaris Ranger to pull the hay rake quite a few times. I would NOT want to have to use a horse-drawn rake, though!

No, don't reckon any "real" cowboys, with "real" cow horses, would have turned it into a 3 ring circus. We would just ease it on over like Dave did, only could have ridden up on that ditch bank where the quad couldn't go. But yeah, I have seen people who fancied themselves to be cowboys, that would act like Dave's neighbor's kid, cause quite a few train wrecks!
our neighbors across the river are a bit like that.. When the old man was running the place he'd spend time with the cows, a few would like some scratches... Now never let common sense get in the way of a good rodeo.

I will work them as calm as long as they cooperate.. If I get some dumb biatch that refuses to go through the gate 3 times, I definitely lose my cool. My "horse" is my old XR500.. sometimes I lead them, sometimes I drive them... Either way, they know when the bike is going "putt putt putt putt" they're doing what they're supposed to do.. when I rev it, they better find out what they're doing wrong. I've gotten rid of all my worst offenders now. I much rather work cows on the bike than the quad, SOOO much more nimble and quick.. won't quite go everywhere a horse goes, but does better than the quad
20140220_114500sm.jpg

our neighbors across the river are a bit like that.. When the old man was running the place he'd spend time with the cows, a few would like some scratches... Now never let common sense get in the way of a good rodeo.

I will work them as calm as long as they cooperate.. If I get some dumb biatch that refuses to go through the gate 3 times, I definitely lose my cool. My "horse" is my old XR500.. sometimes I lead them, sometimes I drive them... Either way, they know when the bike is going "putt putt putt putt" they're doing what they're supposed to do.. when I rev it, they better find out what they're doing wrong. I've gotten rid of all my worst offenders now. I much rather work cows on the bike than the quad, SOOO much more nimble and quick.. won't quite go everywhere a horse goes, but does better than the quad
View attachment 2136
I remember the XR500's! What year model is yours? ! I'd rather be on a dirt bike than any 3 or 4 wheeler for sure. Since I got my first motorcyle nearly 54 years ago, I always had a moto-x track set up somewhere in a pasture or field. At my last place I said it was for the grandkids.. and it was... but I had a Suzuki RM250 I got in a trade, and I still love to ride a good dirt bike off=road.

I remember the XR500's! What year model is yours? ! I'd rather be on a dirt bike than any 3 or 4 wheeler for sure. Since I got my first motorcyle nearly 54 years ago, I always had a moto-x track set up somewhere in a pasture or field. At my last place I said it was for the grandkids.. and it was... but I had a Suzuki RM250 I got in a trade, and I still love to ride a good dirt bike off=road.
that's a 1984/85 XR500 RE, it has the RFVC engine on it, the 83 and earlier bikes were a lot more primitive, brakes weren't as good, suspension wasn't as good, etc I had a 2007 KTM 450 EXC and I hated it.. I figured 22 years of technology would have accomplished more, maybe keep all the bottom end grunt of the 500 and add some top end, Yes it had better top end but nothing even close for out-of-the-hole grunt, yeah, it was lighter, but it was terribly twitchy and felt like it wanted to go into a tankslapper at 50mph, I could have spent a bunch of money and gotten custom suspension tuning, but why, I sold it for what I paid and got another XR500.. I've had them up to nearly 100mph on dirt road and they felt nice and steady.. Was tempted to turbocharge one actually
I have a 1997 XR400 and it seems like every time I fix it something else breaks..

On top of old smoky!

The cows are cheering for me

that's a 1984/85 XR500 RE, it has the RFVC engine on it, the 83 and earlier bikes were a lot more primitive, brakes weren't as good, suspension wasn't as good, etc I had a 2007 KTM 450 EXC and I hated it.. I figured 22 years of technology would have accomplished more, maybe keep all the bottom end grunt of the 500 and add some top end, Yes it had better top end but nothing even close for out-of-the-hole grunt, yeah, it was lighter, but it was terribly twitchy and felt like it wanted to go into a tankslapper at 50mph, I could have spent a bunch of money and gotten custom suspension tuning, but why, I sold it for what I paid and got another XR500.. I've had them up to nearly 100mph on dirt road and they felt nice and steady.. Was tempted to turbocharge one actually
I have a 1997 XR400 and it seems like every time I fix it something else breaks..

On top of old smoky!

The cows are cheering for me

That 100 has to be a 70's model, isn't it? Wasn't it about 79 or 80 when the mono shock first appeared? Did you ever ride one of the CR 500s? Too much power for me to effectively race, but my God, were they fun to get out and play on like you are doing in these videos!

That 100 has to be a 70's model, isn't it? Wasn't it about 79 or 80 when the mono shock first appeared? Did you ever ride one of the CR 500s? Too much power for me to effectively race, but my God, were they fun to get out and play on like you are doing in these videos!
I think that XL100 was a 1980, they kept the dual shock on the small bikes until somewhere in the mid 80's, the XR's got the prolink suspension earlier. My XR500 was the first model with the prolink (at least in the 4 strokes), I'll never ride another dual-shock bike after this! It was a nice change to be able to just crack the throttle and ride over 6" rocks and not get thrown off the footpegs.
I have never really ridden 2 strokes much at all, let alone the CR500.. I do remember an outing we had once where this big tough bodybuilder type guy was on a CR500, and he was the only one who either couldn't make it up the hills or stalled it out, scrawny guys like me on the old 4 stroke thumpers, other guys on CR125's all had no problem... Was quite humorous!

If you don't know how to start the XR500, you aren't going to get it done, ANY throttle input and it's not turning over... if you know how, it's easy!

Latest posts