Most profitable/marketable breed(s)

Help Support CattleToday:

Third Row":98xkdwmj said:
I keep going back to try to find what part of the original post made pdfangus act like he's a woman and somebody commented on his weight but cannot find it.

WELL my substantial weight has nothing to do with it.
but since you ask it is upward of 250.
but i am too old to kick ass anymore so I just shoot at people who bother me.

everybody here has opinons and you can live with em or respond to em or hit delete.

seems to be a running sport to bad mouth angus round here and i am just getting a little fed up with it.

I have never trashed anyone elses cattle cause I figured they were trying as hard as I was, but it is okay to pile on angus. well maybe I got my panties in a wad over it....but other folks can try to be nice too or I can be nasty. insert famous clark gable quote here.

pdfangus":oxbz0ydy said:
seems to be a running sport to bad mouth angus round here and i am just getting a little fed up with it.
It was ever thus. Whatever team/brand/person is on top is always the target. Thank goodness the rams won;t have to worry about that.

pdfangus":174h3swm said:
Third Row":174h3swm said:
I keep going back to try to find what part of the original post made pdfangus act like he's a woman and somebody commented on his weight but cannot find it.

WELL my substantial weight has nothing to do with it.
but since you ask it is upward of 250.
but i am too old to kick ass anymore so I just shoot at people who bother me.

everybody here has opinons and you can live with em or respond to em or hit delete.

I have never trashed anyone elses cattle cause I figured they were trying as hard as I was, but it is okay to pile on angus. well maybe I got my panties in a wad over it....but other folks can try to be nice too or I can be nasty. insert famous clark gable quote here.

PDF, you give a lot of good advice from time to time. But I don't see no reason for the rant either. Feller was just looking for advice and didn't want Angus. I love Angus, don't own a cow without at least 1/2 Angus, but his post didn't bother me in the least. Course my name is Isom, not Angus. T' other day you tried to jump on me for agreeing with you completely on a post. I hope that trigger finger ain't as itchy as your typing finger. ;-)

the only thing Mike Tyson ever said that i agreed with...if my opponent gets up at four o'clock to train,,, im getting up at 3 .... in the old days he didnt belittle them, didnt say nothing.. he just beat the he#$ out of em

Jovid":3a84iacy said:
pdfangus":3a84iacy said:
as a lifelong angus breeder......

and since you had the good graze to begin your message by a left handed trashing of angus....

I would suggest you try.....

dexters
tarentaise
longhorns
scotch highlands
or a composite of the above. :tiphat:

You forgot Red Poll.....

Geez, now the
dexters
tarentaise
longhorns
scotch highlands
composite of the above
and Red Poll folks are all getting the backhand!

Yikes! :?

Course being at the back of the bus it's okay to back hand them.

Isomade PDF said:
must confess that patience has not often been my strong suit....
not near as volatile as I was in a younger day....have had my ass seriously kicked and won other fights just by being able to withstand their best shot....
but still struggle periodically with restraint.....
in my defense - at least I try to struggle with it....

I was not trying to jump on you the other day but thought you did not get the meaning of my post.
I did try to apologize when you responded. perhaps clumbsily

with regard to trigger finger I keep the pistola is in an enclosed holster so it is not quick draw. gives me time to think about do I really want to got thru all this to shoot.....
keyboard is right here and ready to fire.

I would confess that this thread starter probably lit the fuse of frustration that has built up in quite a few other posts. this one was just the spark and it hit me on a bad day.

but I stand by the other stuff I have written in the tread. I never tried to advance my product, no matter what the product, by trashing the other guys....Over time a lot of my better customers have told me that was why they bought from me....that I knew my product and would be honest about it and stand behind it.

why is this a backhand?
I for one was just following suit and suggesting some alterantive breeds....
are you inferring that they are lesser breeds ?
others have suggested alternative breeds and generated no such response.

If one does not care for ones position on the bus the options are to move or to find alternative transportation. I am not responsible for the seating chart.

Dylan Biggs":1yvoim4j said:
Jovid":1yvoim4j said:
pdfangus":1yvoim4j said:
as a lifelong angus breeder......

and since you had the good graze to begin your message by a left handed trashing of angus....

I would suggest you try.....

dexters
tarentaise
longhorns
scotch highlands
or a composite of the above. :tiphat:

You forgot Red Poll.....

Geez, now the
dexters
tarentaise
longhorns
scotch highlands
composite of the above
and Red Poll folks are all getting the backhand!

Yikes! :?

Course being at the back of the bus it's okay to back hand them.

Kind of what I was thinkin..... :?

I still don't see where he was bashing Angus, he just doesn't want to use them and he gave his reasons.

I agree Angus gets it from all angles here but it that wasn't a case of it. There was no reason whatsoever to jump his ass about it the way you did.

To me it is just one of those "here we go again" things.

Check the climate of Scotland and then check the climate of Tx. There is a reason people developed Brangus, Beefmaster etc. For some strange reason, stating the facts gets some of the angus folks all in an uproar and they call it bashing.

There once was a time every thread in the forum seemed to turn to angus discussions. She quit coming in here it seems. There's been a lot less "angus bashing" every since. :)

backhoeboogie":rhbvbbq1 said:
To me it is just one of those "here we go again" things.

Check the climate of Scotland and then check the climate of Tx. There is a reason people developed Brangus, Beefmaster etc. For some strange reason, stating the facts gets some of the angus folks all in an uproar and they call it bashing.

There once was a time every thread in the forum seemed to turn to angus discussions. She quit coming in here it seems. There's been a lot less "angus bashing" every since. :)
what for reckon?

Back to the question . . .

It seems - per your first two posts - that if . . .

1. smokes do really well in the sale ring and
2. you'd really like some 1/2 char, 1/4 simi, 1/4 angus calves
3. you have a char based herd that you like and want to move toward . . .

Then, you're going to need an angus or simi-angus bull. BUT since we can't recommend Angus AND you want 1/4 angus calves . . . well . . . not sure how to infuse angus genetics without using angus genetics.

That said, you didn't ask what suggestions people had for your particular operation - just what bull you would use to market fast gaining and feed efficient cattle. So - IF we're talking about your herd (char) and you want the aforementioned 3 way cross - the answer is obvious but already eliminated by your own criteria.

However, IF you're talking GENERALLY about what bull a person would recommend, well then it would seem to me we'd need more info about what type of cows the bull would cover.

Therefore - I stand mute on the issue :???:

I only have Brangus and that's about all the angus I intend to ever have in my cows, but I'll be the first to admit you see a world of them down here, they do quit well even in the heat and the calves bring top dollar. Whether you like Angus or not facts are facts. I love herefords as well but around here it doesn't matter how good the calves are you're going to pay the price when you sell them. The most profitable breed is what works in your locale and what the buyers want in your area.

TexasBred":1ppcl4as said:
I only have Brangus and that's about all the angus I intend to ever have in my cows, but I'll be the first to admit you see a world of them down here, they do quit well even in the heat and the calves bring top dollar. Whether you like Angus or not facts are facts. I love herefords as well but around here it doesn't matter how good the calves are you're going to pay the price when you sell them. The most profitable breed is what works in your locale and what the buyers want in your area.
:nod: that sums it up right there. I wish Herefords sold good too, I love em, just can't afford to raise em in our market.

saler cattle have worked the best for me.i have never pulled a calf and they are very hardy in cold or heat.

Latest posts