Most profitable/marketable breed(s)

Help Support CattleToday:

Flacowman

Reaction score
we are trying to get away from angus cattle here in the southeast simply because as purebred you have to have top notch cattle in order to get anything above market price and for commercial/terminal cattle there are many better option as far as feed efficiency and gains. My question to y'all is what breed would you recommend OTHER THAN ANGUS for a purebred and commercial operation. We have a decent little herd of Charolais that are all above breed average on most epd's and that is what I would like to move towards. What breeds/colors of females have you seen to produce the highest priced calves other than solid black. I know around here smokies and baldies always do well in the sale ring. I realize this became as much a statement as a question but y'all opinions are appreciated.

they and brangus were my main considerations actually. we have a decent beefmaster breeder on the other side of town as well as one of the larger brahman breeders in the state who does a lot of F1 breeding for replacements in central florida. I was also considering simangus type cattle of varying percentages. I dislike angus but I acknowlege that black is money, and I would really like to see some 1/2 char, 1/4 simm, 1/4 angus calves. My herd bulls all have good carcass epd's so I wouldn't be losing any marbling and would only gain efficiency and yield in my opinion.

Charolais bulls on tiger stripe cows makes one helluva calf. If you go the brangus rout and get a black nose around here they top the market. I use only Charolais bulls and run brangus and brangus x Simm (not black) cows. The super baldy x Charolais calves are hitting the ground now but seem to be outstanding calves so far.

remind me again, is a super baldy technically anf F1 or F1x Hereford? I seem to remember seeing a debate about a "plain" tigerstripe as opposed to a super baldy...I really like tigerstripes and have no idea how I left them out of my thought process

Not sure what is technically considered a "super baldy" these are Brangus Cows crossed with a Traditional simmi bull. A true tiger stripe is registered Brahman x registered Herford. It's what they call "Gold Certified"

Super baldies are Brangus X Hereford. Black white or motley faced with a touch of ear for southern environments.

I think I'm gonna try Brahman/hereford F1's and my Char bulls. My plan is to keep about 50 Charolais cattle for seedstock and breeding my own bulls plus some to sell and grow a herd of about 300 baldies/superbaldies whatever you like to call them. This should give me mostly yellow and yellow with white faced calves right? I will also probably try brangus/hereford cows as well and decide which ones I prefer after a couple of years

Flacowman":3otfm4vy said:
I think I'm gonna try Brahman/hereford F1's and my Char bulls. My plan is to keep about 50 Charolais cattle for seedstock and breeding my own bulls plus some to sell and grow a herd of about 300 baldies/superbaldies whatever you like to call them. This should give me mostly yellow and yellow with white faced calves right? I will also probably try brangus/hereford cows as well and decide which ones I prefer after a couple of years
Yep, the calves will be mostly yellow with a tiger/ char cross. And probably the best calf of the cows you are looking at. If you have the right stock we see weaning weights average about 650 at 7-8 months.

I don't know how your area is, but if you want to keep your frame sizes conservative, a Gelbvieh may make you some nice calves with a Char cow, and we find them really nice and heavy in the rear

I was wanting crossbred cattle for mamas. I am pretty sure my daddy and granddaddy would fight to see who got to beat me first if I put a colored bull on my registered cattle. I would be doing nothing but losing money breeding them for crossbred calves, but maybe some gelb cows under a char bull?

Flacowman":28qf70zm said:
I was wanting crossbred cattle for mamas. I am pretty sure my daddy and granddaddy would fight to see who got to beat me first if I put a colored bull on my registered cattle. I would be doing nothing but losing money breeding them for crossbred calves, but maybe some gelb cows under a char bull?

If yer gonna do that try to find some commercial Balancer cows and take advantage of the 3waycross.

Flacowman":au39gag7 said:
we are trying to get away from angus cattle here in the southeast simply because as purebred you have to have top notch cattle in order to get anything above market price and for commercial/terminal cattle there are many better option as far as feed efficiency and gains. My question to y'all is what breed would you recommend OTHER THAN ANGUS for a purebred and commercial operation. We have a decent little herd of Charolais that are all above breed average on most epd's and that is what I would like to move towards. What breeds/colors of females have you seen to produce the highest priced calves other than solid black. I know around here smokies and baldies always do well in the sale ring. I realize this became as much a statement as a question but y'all opinions are appreciated.

Your situation is not unusual as I read the average seedstock producer only stays the course seven years. Takes to much money to play the game and you are getting beat at the salebarn by the commercial guys.
Hard to beat a brangus cow with a Hereford bull those super baldie crosses ring the bell here every time.
Heifers also sell well as replacements. Out of cows in my pasture I have made more off that cross than any other.
My problem is I have more Herefords than Brangus cows, as I replace cows they are being replaced by Brangus, except a select few I plan to flush.
Char Hereford cross brings top dollar at the salebarn here as well.

as a lifelong angus breeder......

and since you had the good graze to begin your message by a left handed trashing of angus....

I would suggest you try.....

dexters
tarentaise
longhorns
scotch highlands
or a composite of the above. :tiphat:

come on Flacowman, just drink the Koolaid like everyone else. Whatever you do don't try to do anything different. Isn't that what made America great CONFORMITY?

pdfangus":36h52kaq said:
as a lifelong angus breeder......

and since you had the good graze to begin your message by a left handed trashing of angus....

I would suggest you try.....

dexters
tarentaise
longhorns
scotch highlands
or a composite of the above. :tiphat:

You forgot Red Poll.....

Just for the record.......

I very seldom give a rats rump about what anyone else does in their life. It is your life live it the way the democrats and do gooders will let you live it. I expect the same courtesy......
but to start out telling me where I went wrong will tend to raise a hackle or twelve.

Anybody don't care for angus cattle......

that is fine as frogs hair with me.......
last count there were several hundred breeds of cattle out there for you to choose from.....
go forth and prosper with them....
but some folks would rather walk a mile to talk bad about the breed I have had all my life,
than to stand still and talk about the breed they are considering at the moment.

if you don't like angus.....fine.....stay away from em....
and try talking up your breed and quit trying to talk down mine.

I keep going back to try to find what part of the original post made pdfangus act like he's a woman and somebody commented on his weight but cannot find it.

pdfangus":z9c5wgnl said:
Just for the record.......

I very seldom give a rats rump about what anyone else does in their life. It is your life live it the way the democrats and do gooders will let you live it. I expect the same courtesy......
but to start out telling me where I went wrong will tend to raise a hackle or twelve.

Anybody don't care for angus cattle......

that is fine as frogs hair with me.......
last count there were several hundred breeds of cattle out there for you to choose from.....
go forth and prosper with them....
but some folks would rather walk a mile to talk bad about the breed I have had all my life,
than to stand still and talk about the breed they are considering at the moment.

if you don't like angus.....fine.....stay away from em....
and try talking up your breed and quit trying to talk down mine.

:clap: :clap: JIM :clap: :clap:

Latest posts