Most profitable/marketable breed(s)

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":8f0kx69d said:
We all need a good laugh occasionally. For me it's easy. I just look in the mirror. ;-)
If you think it's funny now just wait until you can take your teeth out. :nod:

novatech":1cs594qs said:
TexasBred":1cs594qs said:
We all need a good laugh occasionally. For me it's easy. I just look in the mirror. ;-)
If you think it's funny now just wait until you can take your teeth out. :nod:
You didn't have to tell everybody. I guess now there's no need to even take'em outta the jar ever morning.

kimw":3l9zy10h said:
WOW. And I was afraid to tell anyone here I raise dexters, thought you all would laugh at me...
Don't worry, we'll all still laugh at you... :)
Actually, Dexters might actually be quite a profitable breed to have once people start having some money again. The title of the thread is profitable/marketable breeds, not best beef value breeds. If you can sell a Dexter cow to some suburban backyarder for $2000 then that would make them pretty profitable. I'd have a hard time doing that with even my best cows and my input costs are higher than yours since my cattle are bigger.

ALACOWMAN":1etbtnny said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":1etbtnny said:
Some like there bread with jelly, others with jam. Just trying to produce animals for different types of folks. A few Gert breeders, especially down south, like there cattle to be loose, others like them tight. Some like them soggy, some want them lean. In the cattle business, you see, you have to be ever mindful of what works for your operation, and for your potential customers operation. Again, be glad to help you out any way I can. I am sure I can show you an animal that would work for you.
if they were soggy, and easy fleshing to begin with... and able to shove a calve out in under a years time without a feed bucket ............. you'd see more of em

edit: was going to comment but decided to delete it as this is so obviously a belated, me too, argument that doesn't deserve a response.
I will say fertility and easy fleshing has not been a prevalent problem I have experienced with this breed and certainly not any more than any other breed. Selection is key, as with any breed.

Santas and Duhram Reds":2eiaweng said:
ALACOWMAN":2eiaweng said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":2eiaweng said:
Some like there bread with jelly, others with jam. Just trying to produce animals for different types of folks. A few Gert breeders, especially down south, like there cattle to be loose, others like them tight. Some like them soggy, some want them lean. In the cattle business, you see, you have to be ever mindful of what works for your operation, and for your potential customers operation. Again, be glad to help you out any way I can. I am sure I can show you an animal that would work for you.
if they were soggy, and easy fleshing to begin with... and able to shove a calve out in under a years time without a feed bucket ............. you'd see more of em

edit: was going to comment but decided to delete it as this is so obviously a belated, me too, argument that doesn't deserve a response. I will say fertility and easy fleshing has not been a prevalent problem I have experienced with this breed and certainly not any more than any other breed. Selection is key, as with any breed.
dont need a response ,, ive been around gerts so you'd be preaching to the wrong crowd

Latest posts