Most profitable/marketable breed(s)

Help Support CattleToday:

Gerts are red, not black. Gut is what you get on a Brangus, they're black

If they were gerts (which they may have been since all kinds raise every breed); then that is where selection comes in. You have to you your own sense then, like I have said before, I would be glad to help you out.

Santas and Duhram Reds":2adggbzh said:
Gerts are red, not black. Gut is what you get on a Brangus, they're black

Absolutely they're red. Never said they wern't. Nope...lotta gerts have big bellies...you got a couple on your website.

Some like there bread with jelly, others with jam. Just trying to produce animals for different types of folks. A few Gert breeders, especially down south, like there cattle to be loose, others like them tight. Some like them soggy, some want them lean. In the cattle business, you see, you have to be ever mindful of what works for your operation, and for your potential customers operation. Again, be glad to help you out any way I can. I am sure I can show you an animal that would work for you.

Just messing with you Red. A field full of gerts is really pretty but just no market for them in this area. I'm sure farther south of us they are in abundance. Thanks for the offer and I'm sure it's sincere but I'm just a hobby cattleman and really do enjoy my brangus.

TexasBred":3jlgvinb said:
Just messing with you Red. A field full of gerts is really pretty but just no market for them in this area. I'm sure farther south of us they are in abundance. Thanks for the offer and I'm sure it's sincere but I'm just a hobby cattleman and really do enjoy my brangus.

Nothing prettier than a pasture full of gert's standing knee deep in crimson clover, brings back found memories of my youth. Then I have flashbacks and nightmares of that same bunch in the working pens.

cow pollinater":3b8ovc4m said:
:shock: that's it I'm firing my sorry CPA! She tried to tell me I was doing good. Now I find out I'm losing money. I always do my very best to buy high and sell low. Are you telling me this isn't working. :x :) :lol: :) :lol:

Doing good is relative to how the rest of us are doing. Example: You're losing money, you're just not losing your butt quite as fast as your neighbors are... Hence, "you're doing good".
Sometimes you have to put it in context...
And sometimes you have to pay attention to the smiley faces at the end of the post and understand that the whole post was just a JOKE. See watch this>>>> :lol: :) :lol: :lol: :) :lol:

TexasBred":3djygikw said:

Actually, this explains a lot. Always wondered where you found the time to have as many posts as you do; and here I thought you just liked to hear yourself talk. My apologies :tiphat:

Santas and Duhram Reds":12hd74z1 said:
TexasBred":12hd74z1 said:

Actually, this explains a lot. Always wondered where you found the time to have as many posts as you do; and here I thought you just liked to hear yourself talk. My apologies :tiphat:
I don't see the reason for that Aaron. If you are referring to him being a "hobby cattleman", you just insulted 90% of the folks on this board. Your website says you run 50 head of cattle. Do you support your family on them? Is that a misprint. Is it supposed to say 500 with aspirations of 1000? Just trying to understand. There are good people on this board, if you have a website and want to "serve the commercial cattleman" this is a good place to network. But insulting them won't get you anywhere. And for the record I do run more than 50 head. But I don't support my family on them.

Yes, I only run 50 head of cattle. Yes I have aspirations of running more. Most of the land I have (around 250 acres) is still under row crop and I am gradually converting it over to cattle. I have been growing my herd from 1 cow when I was 13 and have never had anything given to me other than my dad watching over my herd while I was in college and for a while after my leg amputation after a car accident. 21 years raising cattle. I have had more, I have had less. I have made wrong turns and used money where I shouldn't have. Cattle are not my sole income but I do not believe income is the sole determinent of what makes a hobby farmer and I am not saying there is anything wrong with hobby farmers. I am pretty certain TB was the one inferring something about who was a hobby farmer. I do not intend to make enemies, but I'm not going to take you know what either, most people on here don't. Guess its the way most of us were raised. I use the boards mostly for reading and PMing a few people from time to time and I have used it for networking. TB and I have been at this for a little while. A little jab here, a little jab there, It seems it is coming to a head in this thread. In reality, I imagine TB and I are more alike than different. Probably like a couple of brothers and now our dad is standing back and let us have it out. I'm sure all will be fine tomorrow. That is may be why several of us get under each others skin from time to time.

Edit: Maybe I should say I believe a hobby farmer or my definition of a hobby farmer is one that really doesn't raise cattle with the intent or necessity of turning a profit.

Isom you said plenty there as Texas AM put out some data a few years back the average Cattleman in the state of Texas runs 35 head. It was something like 90% of the operators were in that ball park. Texas has more cattle than any other state, thats a lot of hobby boys. I don't run that many and some days as I get older I wonder why I have them. Heck right now there are half as many in the pasture as last spring. I just wouldn't know what to do without them around as I have been around cows all my life. Man needs something to keep his blood pressure up.

I'm glad the posts got away from breed bashing y'all. I think you covered everyone but the Longhorn and holstein breeds in your various rants but it was entertaining. I have located a local farmer who has 82 head of herf/angus heifers that he is weaning this spring and I am going to buy them and put char bulls over em and a brangus over the best ones for baldy mamas with a touch of ear.

I'm not going to the trouble of quoting or naming but we are the third oldest angus breeder in the state, so I did NOT in ANY way bash the breed.

Second, it is true that to get anything over market price for an angus calf you need the best of the best...it's a fact. We have some dang good uns but it's time for a change for us, simple as that.

Third, any crossbred will sell, grow, and raise a calf better than any purebred with few exceptions...fact.

Therefore, we are going to a commercial herd with less input costs and labor and just as much gross income, therefore more profit.

The original intent was to simply get opinions on what you see selling, growing, and raising best in your area, not a pissing match.

Now, go with God and take this thread wherever y'all want cuz I found my uniform group of commercial cows to buy and look forward to what you guys n gals come up with next. :cowboy:

Flacowman said:
Second, it is true that to get anything over market price for an angus calf you need the best of the best...it's a fact.
This is as it should be. Not only for Angus but all the other breeds as well. There are far to many pure bred breeders selling mediocre stock with high quality marketing. There are way to many buyers buying into it.
Third, any crossbred will sell, grow, and raise a calf better than any purebred with few exceptions...fact.
In general this may be true. But the results obtained still fall back to the quality of genetics you start with.
Given the fact that you have built up some quality in your existing purebred operation you may at least have 1/2 the start of your cross bred operation.

quote]

novatech said:
This is as it should be. Not only for Angus but all the other breeds as well. There are far to many pure bred breeders selling mediocre stock with high quality marketing. There are way to many buyers buying into it. quote]
Very well said and very true
This happened in the horse industry several yrs ago with paint horses alot of people were breeding just for the color and forgot about conformation ,attitude and all other aspects of what a good horse was
I agree the same thing has happened to angus and several other breeds that have turned black
I have always thought that about 75% of the purebred stock out there today for sale should of been culled at weaning and probably 70% of the "purebred" breeders should be in the commercial business not the seedstock business

Santas and Duhram Reds":5vq47pi8 said:
TexasBred":5vq47pi8 said:

Not necessary sir. As for the posts..I never even look at the #...just respond to things that interest me. Sometimes I can be helpful, sometimes just keep the thread alive. We all need a good laugh occasionally. For me it's easy. I just look in the mirror. ;-)

Santas and Duhram Reds":3681coxc said:
Some like there bread with jelly, others with jam. Just trying to produce animals for different types of folks. A few Gert breeders, especially down south, like there cattle to be loose, others like them tight. Some like them soggy, some want them lean. In the cattle business, you see, you have to be ever mindful of what works for your operation, and for your potential customers operation. Again, be glad to help you out any way I can. I am sure I can show you an animal that would work for you.
if they were soggy, and easy fleshing to begin with... and able to shove a calve out in under a years time without a feed bucket ............. you'd see more of em

Isomade":3v2yzs58 said:
cow pollinater":3v2yzs58 said:
:shock: that's it I'm firing my sorry CPA! She tried to tell me I was doing good. Now I find out I'm losing money. I always do my very best to buy high and sell low. Are you telling me this isn't working. :x :) :lol: :) :lol:

Doing good is relative to how the rest of us are doing. Example: You're losing money, you're just not losing your butt quite as fast as your neighbors are... Hence, "you're doing good".
Sometimes you have to put it in context...
And sometimes you have to pay attention to the smiley faces at the end of the post and understand that the whole post was just a JOKE. See watch this>>>> :lol: :) :lol: :lol: :) :lol:

I tend to have a dry sense of humor when I'm tired so I leave off the smiley's when I joke. You can tell I'm being a smartass/dumbass/just plain ass when I end my sentances with... It's my equivalant of :D :D :D ...

Latest posts