More Broom Sedge this year

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
We reseeded hay fields in 2013, have fertilized once every spring since, and applied lime in 2015. I actually saw improvement each year; hay quality looked much better and production increased each year. This fall, however, broom sage is running wild. Any ideas as to why this suddenly happened?

I have always heard that lime would get rid of it, but if you limed in 2015, that is much more recent than we have limed and we haven't had it for a while.

Any of the above, or it can also have to do with moisture at the right time. We were droughty for about a month and half when the broom sedge is growing most. The other grasses were drying up so there wasn;t any competition.

We have had a rainy year, and it is continuing. I just happened to notice my neighbor's hayfield on the way home today, and it is the same way. I don't recall seeing broom sedge in his fields in previous years, but he has it now.

Ky hills":cduzgr86 said:
I have always heard that lime would get rid of it, but if you limed in 2015, that is much more recent than we have limed and we haven't had it for a while.

If I understand correctly, the effects of lime are supposed to last a few years, and it takes a few months after application for it to start working. Isn't that correct? It's difficult for me to see how spreading a dust can change things so much.

Lime can only help if it's enough to adjust the pH to the proper range. And without a test there's no way to know.

My broom sedge was a bumper crop this year. Head high in many places. I had no idea it could get that tall. Bought a weed wiper to use on it, and never got time. Wish I could have tried it.

Bigfoot":25hkmduv said:
My broom sedge was a bumper crop this year. Head high in many places. I had no idea it could get that tall. Bought a weed wiper to use on it, and never got time. Wish I could have tried it.

Since you are KY too, I wonder if weather played a large role?

herofan":1qqtuq8r said:
Bigfoot":1qqtuq8r said:

It may be thicker than normal due to weather, but I'm convinced it's a product of low PH. Phosphorus levels figure in to it, but phosphorus can't be absorbed at acid levels.

Bigfoot":2bnev5eh said:
herofan":2bnev5eh said:
Bigfoot":2bnev5eh said:

It may be thicker than normal due to weather, but I'm convinced it's a product of low PH. Phosphorus levels figure in to it, but phosphorus can't be absorbed at acid levels.
I don;t subscribe fully to the ph and phosphorus theory. The only field that has much of it has a ph of 6.5 and the phosphorus level is classified as high. That field is always the driest on the farm, i.e. ridge top so the wind really dries it out.

herofan":1ro9q5mi said:
Ky hills":1ro9q5mi said:

If I understand correctly, the effects of lime are supposed to last a few years, and it takes a few months after application for it to start working. Isn't that correct? It's difficult for me to see how spreading a dust can change things so much.

I am no expert on it, but would think that yes the effects would not be seen immediately. When we have any pasture renovations done we always get a soil sample, and it will recommend the amounts to put per acre, and usually that amounts to several truck loads when dealing with lime.

herofan":2dgh4dre said:
Ky hills":2dgh4dre said:

Lime takes time to start working and it takes several years depending on the soil to work completely. We test every other year and watch the ph gradually increase. When it stops going up if the ph is the range we want we leave it alone. If it hasn;t reached the level desired we will lime again.

Ph lockout has a domino effect. High/Low PH prevents absorption of certain elements. Deficiencies of certain elements cause the inability of other elements to be absorbed. They work with each other to my understanding. PH is the absolute first thing IMO to get in order.

detailed-Truog-pH-chart-1024x717.jpg

Making it even more difficult. The application of fertilize causes the PH to become more acidic. The more fertilize applied, the more acidic the soil will be. I cannot give a scientific explanation. But I do know this to be a cause/effect. At least with synthetic fertilizers. I think organics do not cause this issue, or at least to the same degree. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Sage grass problem here too. I have really high phosphate levels in some places but it is probably inert.

Broom Sedge? Got a picture? I know what Yellow Nutsedge is and what kind of nuisance weed it represents. Never heard of Broom.

My soil is 7-8 ph. Don't want any Lime.

Texasmark":1zu6wkyw said:
Broom Sedge? Got a picture? I know what Yellow Nutsedge is and what kind of nuisance weed it represents. Never heard of Broom.

My soil is 7-8 ph. Don't want any Lime.
Broom sedge is a warm season grass that is normally an indication of,something lacking in the soil. I have a little of it this year on a steep area that the lime truck didn't get to. It becomes unpalatable after it,gets a few inches high and then cattle wont eat it.

Latest posts