Monopoly in the meat processing business.

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
We need someone in government that understands crooks and monopolies to look into this and bust them up. Send the Brazilians back to Brazil with all of their crooked dealings.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/this-foreign-meat-company-got-us-tax-money-now-it-wants-to-conquer-america/ar-AAJSQFB?ocid=spartandhp

I agree 100% why did we let outsiders in and control our food supply. Talk about a danger to the US of A.

jltrent said:
I agree 100% why did we let outsiders in and control our food supply. Talk about a danger to the US of A.

They had the money or raised the money to buy up the other companies and get that big. All of us here, and many other "insiders" had the same opportunity but we didn't take advantage of it.

Brute 23 said:
jltrent said:

They had the money or raised the money to buy up the other companies and get that big. All of us here, and many other "insiders" had the same opportunity but we didn't take advantage of it.

This is EXACTLY right.

Government regulated inspections put small processors out of business, not wise business moves. Unless you call buying politicians wise business moves.

I get the concept of capitalism and we all could have done the same but... don't see how allowing foreign ownership of any part of our food is something that should have ever happened.

I am not a big fan of monopolies and with 85% ownership it could easy happen....price fixing is not very free market if it is proven to be happening..

It's interesting that so many are pro building a physical wall along the border (as am I) to protect us from "foreign interests". Yet, do not see the point in protecting our economy from foreign interests. BTW boys, it's not capitalism at work with JBS. Its collusion, corruption, and global elitism manifest. The corruption and explanation of how JBS came to power is documented well in several documentaries. America is being conquered (actually sold out) from within.

bball said:
It's interesting that so many are pro building a physical wall along the border (as am I) to protect us from "foreign interests". Yet, do not see the point in protecting our economy from foreign interests. BTW boys, it's not capitalism at work with JBS. Its collusion, corruption, and global elitism manifest. The corruption and explanation of how JBS came to power is documented well in several documentaries. America is being conquered (actually sold out) from within.

Why don't we just run up the federal debt another few trillion?

shaz said:
bball said:

Why don't we just run up the federal debt another few trillion?

Hold on. Just give them a week or two...

bball said:

I responded to the idea that because they large or are a foreign company they should not be allowed to own part of our food supply. That is not illegal. Crossing the border in to the US undocumented is illegal.

I would not be surprised that there is collusion and corruption going on but that happens with companies small or large, foreign or domestic.

Whatcha bet some pockets got padded with foreign money on the COOL program.

bball said:

I'm pro building a wall I'm pro stopping the import of foreign goods, food, steel, oil , electronics ... every thing.
Nothing from Brazil, Mexico, Canada, China the UK only America gets to sell in America. That's fair enough right?
If jbs has committed a crime I'm all for dropping the hammer. But in many cases Americans are just getting outworked.

A American rancher with 500 head could probably do ok if all the dam part-time farmers with 50 head would get out of the way. I don't mean any offence by that except it's the truth.
The fact that someone owns 100 acres and a tractor does not give them the automatic right to make a living farming...
Government regulations are a big problem for small processers. Adding more government regulations is not the answer.
And fwiw. I know off several small processers doing quite well. I actually sell hay to one. They face so many USDA inspections the inspector has his own parking space. Only thing they process sheep and goats.
The difference is they haven't been bought. See that's what happens big business buys small business to eliminate compitetien . But it takes two . If JBS came out tommorow and said we're going to buy everyone's calves for 3.00
Everyone here would sell. It's about money both ways....it sucks to lose, but a sore loser just sucks.

callmefence said:
bball said:

I'm pro building a wall I'm pro stopping the import of foreign goods, food, steel, oil , electronics ... every thing.
Nothing from Brazil, Mexico, Canada, China the UK only America gets to sell in America. That's fair enough right?
If jbs has committed a crime I'm all for dropping the hammer. But in many cases Americans are just getting outworked.

A American rancher with 500 head could probably do ok if all the dam part-time farmers with 50 head would get out of the way. I don't mean any offence by that except it's the truth.
The fact that someone owns 100 acres and a tractor does not give them the automatic right to make a living farming...
Government regulations are a big problem for small processers. Adding more government regulations is not the answer.
And fwiw. I know off several small processers doing quite well. I actually sell hay to one. They face so many USDA inspections the inspector has his own parking space. Only thing they process sheep and goats.
The difference is they haven't been bought. See that's what happens big business buys small business to eliminate compitetien . But it takes two . If JBS came out tommorow and said we're going to buy everyone's calves for 3.00
Everyone here would sell. It's about money both ways....it sucks to lose, but a sore loser just sucks.

No offense taken from your comment, and I respect your point of view on it because the dynamic and logistics of so much has changed. I would disagree though that those with 50 cows and a hundred acres don't necessarily have the right to make a living from it or at least be a part of it. Just the way the things are around these parts you will find some folks with 500-1000 cows in this area however most have under 100. In the past 40-50 cows could sustain, now that's not the case but those folks put a lot of money in the community for example with the smaller farms there is a lot of fence around here. I don't think that if the small folks were to kindly step aside that it would really decrease the number of cattle cause the big producers would get bigger. If that happened then the industry would likely be shifted to concentrated pockets mainly west of here, further damaging our already struggling economy here.

Brute 23 said:
bball said:

I responded to the idea that because they large or are a foreign company they should not be allowed to own part of our food supply. That is not illegal. Crossing the border in to the US undocumented is illegal.

I would not be surprised that there is collusion and corruption going on but that happens with companies small or large, foreign or domestic.

I appreciate your post as i almost always do Brute. However, the means by which JBS gained access to our food supply is in fact illegal.(corruption, collusion,etc.)

callmefence said:
bball said:

Nothing from Brazil, Mexico, Canada, China the UK only America gets to sell in America. That's fair enough right?yep
If jbs has committed a crime I'm all for dropping the hammer. it's well documented, but dropping a hammer would incriminate many of our own in powerful positions, so we know that will not happenBut in many cases Americans are just getting outworked. in some cases, yes this is true.

A American rancher with 500 head could probably do ok if all the dam part-time farmers with 50 head would get out of the way. I don't mean any offence by that except it's the truth.no offense taken. The hobby guy, 1-49 cows, makes up approximately 25-28% of the entire beef cattle population in America(average several sources) the vast majority of beef producers can be classified as dam part-time farmers, as statistically speaking, 72% of ALL beef operations in America use outside income or off farm income to operate, regardless of herd size.
The fact that someone owns 100 acres and a tractor does not give them the automatic right to make a living farming...???? I'm not sure anyone attempted to make this case in this discussion. There are very few rights guaranteed; life, liberty, pursuit of happiness. A guy with 1 acre should have the same level playing field as the guy with 10,000 acres. That's what liberty and pursuit are all about. Without a level playing field, EVERYONE is going away EVENTUALLY.
Government regulations are a big problem for small processers. Adding more government regulations is not the answer. I'M NOT FOR MORE GOVT regulatuon. I am for the federal govt doing the job they were created to perform. Namely represent and protect our people, on a national level, to the rest of the world. Not sell us and our future generations out to turn a buck today
The difference is they haven't been bought. See that's what happens big business buys small business to eliminate compitetien . But it takes two . If JBS came out tommorow and said we're going to buy everyone's calves for 3.00 don't worry about that happening
Everyone here would sell. It's about money both waysit sure is. Go back and read the article in the original post. Those two caballaros in the hat's stand to make a a good chunk of money. The only consistent losers are the American producers. Happens so frequently, for so long that most arent even sore anymore....it sucks to lose, but a sore loser just sucks.

callmefence said:
bball said:

Whew, I'm sure glad I made the cutoff.

Last stats I heard at a TAMU workshop is 92% of the cattle in Texas are in operations of 50 or less today.
That's roughly 4.5 million head.
I'm attending another one on the 22nd I will ask Dr Richie if those numbers still stand.

U of A says

The average beef cattle herd size is 35 head with 80 percent of the farms having less than 50 head. About 97 percent of the beef cattle farms are family owned and operated.

Latest posts