Momma says she has never seen it so " dark"

Help Support CattleToday:

Around here it seems like the go-getters are adapting and oppertunity abounds but they have to do it themselves instead of waiting for someone else to do it for them. Anyone already in business is being regulated to the point where hiring new people is not an option. It actually kind of favors people who are willing to do the work themselves without the hassle of hiring employees. We have to get back to a point where it makes sense to hire people to do the work while the "expert" runs the important stuff before the job market will improve.
Also, around here, real need is being met at a local level, as it should be. I don't know of very many people who will turn away a hard working man who needs to feed his family if they have the available funds(and a job to do) to help. The people who are looking for an excuse to not work are certainly unemployed but everyone else(here where I'm at) is doing okay even if it's not perfect.
I kind of want to think that this is how it should be before we move forward in rebuilding the economy... The good ones will be rewarded with good jobs, the governement will run out of money to hand to the bad ones who will resort to menial labor out of necessity, and the truly disabled will have thier needs met at a local level where thier particular needs are best known.

My company has had an ad in newspapers and online looking for a machinist with experience. It seems like there are none in the area looking for work. We offer health insurance, paid vacation, holidays, overtime etc. We can't seem to hire folks with manufacturing skills.

Corn and beans are near record high prices, cattle and other livestock prices are at profitable levels, cotton has been profitable.... The stock market has recovered much of what it lost in 2008.

The drought has caused real hardship in the south and it may be tough to see beyond that. But keep in mind the USA, for all of our problems is still the place people from around the world want to come.

I heard on the radio today a report that said a survey of many better off Chinese say they want to come to the US to live and work....

If we look back through history, it very often appears to be a dark time. How about the plagues and famines of the late 1800's around the world? The carnage of WW I, the depression, the dark days of WW II in 1942 where after Pearl Harbor the average life expectancy of a B-17 bomber crew flying over Europe was about 10 days? And Hitler was taking over Europe and Japan was taking over the Philippines and the Pacific?

Or the constant threat of nuclear war through the cold war days. How many of us today feel we need to build a bomb shelter in our back yard???

Our government has though unfortunately been taken over by money. Lobbyists are paid tremendous amounts to get a certain outcome of legislation. The idea of working and compromising for the public good seems to have devolved into an election process where common people can't hope to get elected and the thing that keep you in office is pr and obstructing any legislation that may not completely be inline with a certain rigid ideology. This then leads to a paralysis.

However even the fact that we are discussing this here and folks are starting to see that we need to operate a bit differently than the strict ideological battles is a good sign. And there is hope.

Overall looking at our current situation nationally we are in no where near the hopeless conditions of many times in the past.

The drought can and has sucked a lot of energy out of folks in that area. All however is not as dark as it may seem. Droughts always end and weather moves back and forth around a statistical average. It will change. Maybe not soon as we would like but there will be rain in Texas. Long term weather statistics just don't suddenly change direction. Hang in there.

jmho.

Jim

Alan":3aww5zpl said:
A new record..... After two post I'm going to my gun safe and putting a piece of lead in my ear! I'm 50+ and I know my parents had things a lot worse. Things will get tougher before they get better but we will survive ..... I hope :?

Might take some longer to figure that out, Alan. You need to be pro-active, but not goofy. You know . . . others may not get it. Take care of yourself, neighbor!

hillsdown":2p2zfvyd said:
Sometimes folks just need a hand to reach out and them to grab on, to get out of the h@ll hole they are in. We are a very compassionate nation ,that is not such a bad thing. Just hate the blood suckers that are taking advantage of the honest hard working people. Do not believe in all the doom and gloom, I have too much faith in the "good" that is in mankind .

We'll see if I can get this through w/out censure . . . And, unfortunately, this is how I now feel about what's going on -- not vs. our hard-working people, but those that just deem themselves "entitled" . . .

Subject: U.S. Economics for Dummies........

The folks who are getting free shyt,
Don't like the folks who are paying for the free sh__t,
Because the folks who are paying for the free s_it,
Can no longer afford to pay for both the free shyyyt and their own s_it.

And, The folks who are paying for the free sh_t,
Want the free shYt to stop.
And the folks who are getting the free shyydt,
Want even MORE free chit on top of the free schyt they're getting already!

Now... The people who are forcing people to PAY for the free schit,
Have told the people who are RECEIVING the free schyit,
That the people who are PAYING for the free schit,
Are being mean, prejudiced and racist.

So... the people who are GETTING the free chyit,
Have been convinced they need to HATE the people who are PAYING for the
free shyt because they are selfish. And they are promised more free sh_t if they
will vote for the people who force the people who pay for the free shsydt to give them even more
free crap.

And - - - - - that's the Straight Shyt!

SR Beef == Check Perry Institute, Yakima, WA. Has an excellent machinist program (I have 3 brothers and a step-son who've graduated in the last 20 years -- all employed or self-employed) -- You might want to inquire about recruiting from there. Not many machinists getting hired out here now fresh from school, and probably quite a few w/ experience looking. Seems like much west coast manufacturing business has gone off to China . . . . .

Kathie in Thorp":2wvtaq88 said:
hillsdown":2wvtaq88 said:
Sometimes folks just need a hand to reach out and them to grab on, to get out of the h@ll hole they are in. We are a very compassionate nation ,that is not such a bad thing. Just hate the blood suckers that are taking advantage of the honest hard working people. Do not believe in all the doom and gloom, I have too much faith in the "good" that is in mankind .

We'll see if I can get this through w/out censure . . . And, unfortunately, this is how I now feel about what's going on -- not vs. our hard-working people, but those that just deem themselves "entitled" . . .

Subject: U.S. Economics for Dummies........

The folks who are getting free shyt,
Don't like the folks who are paying for the free sh__t,
Because the folks who are paying for the free s_it,
Can no longer afford to pay for both the free shyyyt and their own s_it.

And, The folks who are paying for the free sh_t,
Want the free shYt to stop.
And the folks who are getting the free shyydt,
Want even MORE free chit on top of the free schyt they're getting already!

Now... The people who are forcing people to PAY for the free schit,
Have told the people who are RECEIVING the free schyit,
That the people who are PAYING for the free schit,
Are being mean, prejudiced and racist.

So... the people who are GETTING the free chyit,
Have been convinced they need to HATE the people who are PAYING for the
free shyt because they are selfish. And they are promised more free sh_t if they
will vote for the people who force the people who pay for the free shsydt to give them even more
free crap.

And - - - - - that's the Straight Shyt!
:clap: :clap: :clap: that's good shyt right there.

SRBeef":1ocfz5bp said:
My company has had an ad in newspapers and online looking for a machinist with experience. It seems like there are none in the area looking for work. We offer health insurance, paid vacation, holidays, overtime etc. We can't seem to hire folks with manufacturing skills.

Corn and beans are near record high prices, cattle and other livestock prices are at profitable levels, cotton has been profitable.... The stock market has recovered much of what it lost in 2008.

The drought has caused real hardship in the south and it may be tough to see beyond that. But keep in mind the USA, for all of our problems is still the place people from around the world want to come.

I heard on the radio today a report that said a survey of many better off Chinese say they want to come to the US to live and work....

If we look back through history, it very often appears to be a dark time. How about the plagues and famines of the late 1800's around the world? The carnage of WW I, the depression, the dark days of WW II in 1942 where after Pearl Harbor the average life expectancy of a B-17 bomber crew flying over Europe was about 10 days? And Hitler was taking over Europe and Japan was taking over the Philippines and the Pacific?

Or the constant threat of nuclear war through the cold war days. How many of us today feel we need to build a bomb shelter in our back yard???

Our government has though unfortunately been taken over by money. Lobbyists are paid tremendous amounts to get a certain outcome of legislation. The idea of working and compromising for the public good seems to have devolved into an election process where common people can't hope to get elected and the thing that keep you in office is pr and obstructing any legislation that may not completely be inline with a certain rigid ideology. This then leads to a paralysis.

However even the fact that we are discussing this here and folks are starting to see that we need to operate a bit differently than the strict ideological battles is a good sign. And there is hope.

Overall looking at our current situation nationally we are in no where near the hopeless conditions of many times in the past.

The drought can and has sucked a lot of energy out of folks in that area. All however is not as dark as it may seem. Droughts always end and weather moves back and forth around a statistical average. It will change. Maybe not soon as we would like but there will be rain in Texas. Long term weather statistics just don't suddenly change direction. Hang in there.

jmho.

Jim
And change is on the way. :banana: :banana: :banana: :hide:

Ryder":wgj1xfi9 said:
SRBeef":wgj1xfi9 said:

jmho.

Jim
And change is on the way. :banana: :banana: :banana: :hide:

Change? Man, I sure Hope so.

The ag sector is performing pretty well so it is a little easier to be optimistic. In the construction business, we can't really see much hope. Hope i am wrong. The last couple years has convince me that my kids, still in college, will not have things as good as my generations. A lot of jobs are gone for good. I really think out expecations need to come down a bit so we can adjust to the new economy.

Douglas":2fjzoub2 said:
The ag sector is performing pretty well so it is a little easier to be optimistic. In the construction business, we can't really see much hope. Hope i am wrong. The last couple years has convince me that my kids, still in college, will not have things as good as my generations. A lot of jobs are gone for good. I really think out expecations need to come down a bit so we can adjust to the new economy.

Life won't be getting any easier, for sure. I cling to hope that tomorrow will be materially better. Maybe. Some how. We'll get cold fusion and plants that yield twice as much. The sun will cool slightly, ending this era of fire and floods. Everyone will get just enough rain. Jews and Muslims will organize street parties together and invite Christians.
Beef prices will stay above production costs.
I think it's time for my evening Prozac.

It's World wide...the whole world seems to be in trouble...Greese nearly going bankrupt...Britain they say here if your Parents haven't got a house to leave to you, you have no hope in h**l of ever owning one...Italy needed a prop up from the EEC. All the loans that were given out willy nilly needed to be paid back and a lot of people weren't doing so and so the banks got in a complete mess, for paying all the fat cats to much money and privatising and then having to pay the greedy share holders, there is only so much to go around and everyone got on the gravy train wanting more and more, then cried when the train de-railed. IMO it will take years for this to get back to a near normal state. and sending people back to their home land and not giving aid to other Countries wont do anything now as it has gone to far. Our Countries need to help others for our own to survive, as we can't sustain all we need to function. Things might have been a bit better if we didn't stick our noses into other Countries wars, but we needed things from these Countries ie oil, as I don't think we would have stuck our oar in.
had my little rant. think I will stop now.

chrisy":359xbrlm said:
It's World wide...the whole world seems to be in trouble...Greese nearly going bankrupt...Britain they say here if your Parents haven't got a house to leave to you, you have no hope in h**l of ever owning one...Italy needed a prop up from the EEC. All the loans that were given out willy nilly needed to be paid back and a lot of people weren't doing so and so the banks got in a complete mess, for paying all the fat cats to much money and privatising and then having to pay the greedy share holders, there is only so much to go around and everyone got on the gravy train wanting more and more, then cried when the train de-railed. IMO it will take years for this to get back to a near normal state. and sending people back to their home land and not giving aid to other Countries wont do anything now as it has gone to far. Our Countries need to help others for our own to survive, as we can't sustain all we need to function. Things might have been a bit better if we didn't stick our noses into other Countries wars, but we needed things from these Countries ie oil, as I don't think we would have stuck our oar in.

And by then the rising oceans will have swallowed London. :drink: :drink:

john250":2sg8eipx said:
chrisy":2sg8eipx said:

And by then the rising oceans will have swallowed London. :drink: :drink:
and where I live will be a sea-side town. :banana:

SRBeef":33ogym9a said:

jmho.

Jim

Great post, Jim. I'm with you. We should spend more time counting our blessings.

There is a good correlation between the stock market and the economy. Techanical analysis signals were strongly suggesting that we have flipped back over into a bear (down) market recently. :help: I don't think we ever really came out of it.
Our fearless leaders don't know which way to turn. :dunce: They have proven that they know nothing of economics.

Europe is having problems and we are not isolated from them and and they are not isolated from us.
See Chrisy's excelllent post above.

I am not calling for doom and gloom for every individual. That depends. There are people who do very well in hard times.

Keep your powder dry boys.

Ryder":x7j16f8k said:
There is a good correlation between the stock market and the economy. Techanical analysis signals were strongly suggesting that we have flipped back over into a bear (down) market recently. :help: I don't think we ever really came out of it.
Our fearless leaders don't know which way to turn. :dunce: They have proven that they know nothing of economics.

Europe is having problems and we are not isolated from them and and they are not isolated from us.

I am not calling for doom and gloom for every individual. That depends. There are people who do very well in hard times.

Ryder":x7j16f8k said:

All that!!

I suggest you read "Dies The Fire" by S.M.Stirling -- set aside the Sifi stuff and read what happens to the people in the cities. I think he speaks the truth and it really scares me..

It's because you can't make an honest living anymore, you have to speculate that your house value will double in 10 years, which means you can borrow against that for a new car, etc, and VERY FEW people actually generate money, farmers, loggers, machine shops, etc are all people making something real, all the rest make money because they have money, and until that stops, nothing will change

Not enough people learning a craft . Im a carpenter and a concrete finisher . I started learning from my dad at around 5 years old . By 8 I could read a tape .. he would brimg me on jobs and pay me a dollar a day ... When I graduated high school I had a pretty good start ...I have 50 year old me come out and claim to be carpenters but can't read a tape ... With out labor jobs there won't be a need for office jobs.... I had to adapt my small company ...I work right with my guys which allows me to take home the pay I would normally pay out ...adapt or starve ..

Latest posts