Mixer/Feeder Wagon Information wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

customcattle

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a feed mixer/feeder wagon to feed cows and weaned calves with. A vertical grinder/mixer would be ideal, but the budget doesn't allow that. My question is how will a horizontal auger mixer/feeder handle a ground hay ration? What kind of horse power do I need to run a wagon? I looked at a BJM C900T yesterday that was in decent shape, and from what I can tell is around 350-400 cf. We have a 65 horse tractor that I would be using to feed with. I'm also wondering some opinions on the importance of having scales on the wagon? The one I looked at doesn't have scales with it.

We currently keep our calves and feed them for 90-120 days depending on the market and how long corn stalks last. In the past we have always just used a self creep feeder and either rolled out hay to them or (mainly) put it in a bale wagon and let them have at it. I have always been leery of just giving them an alfalfa bale, so I have rationed them out, and let them have either crp grass hay or oat bales in the bale wagon. I have noticed a lot of waste both with the alfalfa bales being fed on the ground as well as a whole lot of waste from the bale wagon. With cows I basically only have to feed during calving and if we have a bad storm, or on the rare occasion that we run short on corn stalks, but have always fed them in the same way as the calves, again noticing a whole lot of wasted hay. This is why I would like to go to feeding a ground, mixed ration of oat and alfalfa hay together, with the possibility of adding in some ground corn and dystillers/ protein pellets in the future.

Go to the Stock forum on NEWAGTALK and ask. Seems like there is a mixer question on there nearly everyday, should get a lot of good answers.

You'll need scales if you want to mix a ration with any sort of consistency. You might be able to get it close by counting scoops, but you still won't know the exact weight.

I can't speak directly about auger mixers but I don't think they will grind hay very well. A neighbor has one and uses it off and on with pre-ground hay, he mentioned that wet hay will really work the heck out of it. I know our vertical will not grind hay in an efficient manner, in previous years we had it processed by a mobile grinder, this year we have gone to a baler that pre-chops the hay.

We have a 350cuft that can be a handful with a 110hp MFWD. 65hp is going to marginal, especially if you have hills.

Atimm693":8pdmy1sf said:
You'll need scales if you want to mix a ration with any sort of consistency. You might be able to get it close by counting scoops, but you still won't know the exact weight.

I can't speak directly about auger mixers but I don't think they will grind hay very well. A neighbor has one and uses it off and on with pre-ground hay, he mentioned that wet hay will really work the heck out of it. I know our vertical will not grind hay in an efficient manner, in previous years we had it processed by a mobile grinder, this year we have gone to a baler that pre-chops the hay.

We have a 350cuft that can be a handful with a 110hp MFWD. 65hp is going to marginal, especially if you have hills.

My thoughts would be to have a custom grinder come in to grind the hay and just pile it up to load. I have never been around one and finding information on them is touch and go.

customcattle":31hivdjh said:
Atimm693":31hivdjh said:

My thoughts would be to have a custom grinder come in to grind the hay and just pile it up to load. I have never been around one and finding information on them is touch and go.

This is the outfit that did ours. Not sure where you're located though, may not be any help. I know they travel quite a ways in the Midwest though.

http://www.orileyhaygrinding.com

Latest posts