Missing submarine

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, I guess at least HE was on his own vessel for the trip.. While some safety susans might think it was unsafe at least he thought it was safe enough to put himself in it.

View attachment 31531

Except for the lungs, the human body is pretty incompressible, so I'd expect serious injuries to the upper thorax, and maybe injuries from stuff hitting them, I don't think they'be be otherwise mangled from the pressure alone
imagine yourself with a 6000 psi pressure washer nozzle pushed against your belly and someone pulls the trigger. instant water through your skin. those five people turned into applesauce as soon as the water hit their body.

Instantaneous means around 7 milliseconds.
The involuntary blink of an eye takes somewhere between 100-400 milliseconds.
They would not have any sense of either the implosion and certainly not the air/hydrocarbon explosion.
But that takes the fun out of the fart bubble analogy.

They could have watched a very good video online taken of the sunken ship. I guess that is not like being there. Billionaires takes chances as that is probably how they got it, but sometimes they don't pan out.

Billionaires takes chances
We all take chances, to whatever degree we can afford and to whatever risk we gamble on. Some save up $$ and go skydiving or bungee jumping...a poverty stricken person or someone barely paying their monthly bills probably view those to be an extravagant and un-necessary expenditure.
10s of thousands of people go deep underwater every day in nations' submarine services as well as in offshore work. They see it as a challenge and just 'part of the job' but everyone else thinks "I'd never do that".

My own wife and my brother did not want to go on a helicopter but I loved every minute of it.

Heck, I'd take a ride on a SpaceX Falcon9 if it was offered to me free..maybe even on one of their Starship prototype rockets..

They could have watched a very good video online taken of the sunken ship. I guess that is not like being there. Billionaires takes chances as that is probably how they got it, but sometimes they don't pan out.
To be fair, some of those better videos were taken from this exact vessel. It had made the trip numerous times before. But it sure sounds like this was just a matter of when, not if something fails.

We all take chances, to whatever degree we can afford and to whatever risk we gamble on. Some save up $$ and go skydiving or bungee jumping...a poverty stricken person or someone barely paying their monthly bills probably view those to be an extravagant and un-necessary expenditure.
10s of thousands of people go deep underwater every day in nations' submarine services as well as in offshore work. They see it as a challenge and just 'part of the job' but everyone else thinks "I'd never do that".

My own wife and my brother did not want to go on a helicopter but I loved every minute of it.

Heck, I'd take a ride on a SpaceX Falcon9 if it was offered to me free..maybe even on one of their Starship prototype rockets..
My BIL put 20 years inthe USN on a nuclear fast attack submarine. I'm still not sure he was quite right in the head.

Read an article today the USN picked up the subs implosion on Sunday and told the USCG where to look.

If they were living out a dream, I can't think of a better way to go. It was likely instant death doing something they really, really wanted to do.

If the tests were predictable, I'd offer a stay at our house when they test a single Falcon engine. I can't fathom the 30+ they were trying to light for that Starship flight…

I couldn't/can't come up with a good one, but someone needs to come up with a parody based on "Gilligan's Island" for this.

Bloom said in a Facebook post that Rush had asked him and his son, Sean, to go on a dive to the Titanic wreck site, after two planned expeditions had been cancelled due to bad weather. MailOnline first reported the text exchange.

More support for a parody

To be fair, some of those better videos were taken from this exact vessel. It had made the trip numerous times before. But it sure sounds like this was just a matter of when, not if something fails.
When your number is called not a lot you can do.

Last edited:
Brother of one of my former co-workers built this homemade submarine from propane tank.
I'd seen a previous video where he took it on an inaugural trip in the farm pond. Had not seen this one before....

It had made the trip numerous times before. But it sure sounds like this was just a matter of when, not if something fails.
I heard an expert say that is why testing and certification is important. Without testing, there is no way to know how many trips can be made before the graphite material became stressed.

One good thing is that they said death would have come in milliseconds and that they would never have known there was a problem.

I heard an expert say that is why testing and certification is important. Without testing, there is no way to know how many trips can be made before the graphite material became stressed.

One good thing is that they said death would have come in milliseconds and that they would never have known there was a problem.
It's hard to imagine being able to make a vessel of that size tha can withstand 6000 psi period.
I think of reactor's in the refinery that ran at 3500 psi were 1' thick steel to contain the pressure.

I have been pretty disappointed with all the comments and jokes basically just because they had the money to do this type of deal. That's a horrible situation to be in no matter who you are but it sounds like they got the best of the bad situations.
I don't think anybody's ragging on them for having the money to do it, I'm pretty sure we're all just having a gaff about the fact that it was a bad idea that ended fairly predictably. I'd still make fun of them if the ride had been free.

Latest posts