Miniature Hereford Slaughter Results

Help Support CattleToday:

SF

Reaction score
For those who have inquired as to the final yield of a miniature hereford steer.
Sent two Miniature Hereford Steers to the processor this week. I was not pleased with our results, so I'll just have to keep working for better results. For those who may wish to be critical, don't blame the breed on the results of these two steers. I'm going to post pics of them, from a couple of weeks ago, so you can see what they looked like live. These were steers, thus not of the quality that we look for in breeding stock.
Not as much marbling as I would have like.
Not as much fat as I would like.
Expected to see choice with a yg of 3
This is what I have:

Steer 1:
Polled steer
15 months old
Live weight 760 pounds
Hanging weight 470 pounds
Select
YG 1
Rib Eye: 10.5

Steer 2
Horned Steer
14 months old
Live weight 690 pounds
Hanging weight 405 pounds
Select
YG 1
Rib Eye: 9.0

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

0005.jpg

I have a friend that has been sending his straight bred Polled Hereford cattle to the Texas A&M Ranch to Rail program for sevral years. One of the things he learned from that is that is more of his Herefords tended to grade Select than Choice. He just showed me th data from last year and he had 6 out of 10 grade choice. His calves had about 1.6 inches of ribeye area per 100 lbs. of carcass. Your calves were good on ribeye area.

How were they fed? You may want to put them on a hotter carbohydrate ration next time (more corn).

It looks to me like you just didn't leave them on feed long enough. Yield Grade 1 is pretty lean. There are not MANY YG1s that grade Choice and 690 and 760 are pretty lite weights for a fat steer (even a mini). If fed to 825 pounds I think they got a lot better shot at grading Choice. A 10.5 REA on such a small carcass is pretty darn good. I bet despite the select grade the meat is going to still be pretty good eating.

Not bad looking mini's. Personal opinion is they needed to be fed a little harder ration for another month. I usually look to see how the brisket is filling out to tell me when they are done.

SF

My hats off to you man, there arnt many people that will post the bad with the good. You just dont see it on the forums much.
I understand the disappointment, but it will get better.
Great pics, even better post.

You should be proud

MD

They were on a mixed ration of Acco's Beefmaker Textured 12 mixed with corn. 1/2 and 1/2. Just been so hot for the past couple of months they haven't been gaining much during the past few weeks.

Those who have offered the compliments, I thank you.

I think a few more days on feed would have certainly added more backfat, but the lack of marbling I think is genetic. More feed may have helped some, but I still don't think they would have made choice.

Bringing in a couple more from the same bull. Going to change up the feed ration a bit. Plus we will be going into cooler weather. Shooting for a Feb/Mar finish time frame.

Thanks again for the compliments. I don't learn much from the great results, it is only the poor results that provide me new learning experiences.

Will have some calves born in fall of 06 from my new bull. Hopefully he will produce better carcass results. If so, we are going to begin collecting semen from him. Probably not going to with bull that sired these two calves. Make my mind up for sure in Feb.

redfornow":3ngfdopa said:
My hats off to you man, there arnt many people that will post the bad with the good. You just dont see it on the forums much.
I couldn't agree more. You may be disappointed in the results. But you sure ought to be proud of yourself for sharing them. From looking at the pics, I also agree with the others that you didn't even have them warmed up good. Another 50 days might give you what you're looking for.

Well I guess I'll be opposite again. I say they were Y1 no matter what you did with them. With REA per hundred weight af 1.3 or better I wouldn't think you could have fed them long enough to be a Y3. Select is probably all they would have ever been at least for a reasonable feed time. The data looked profitable to me. How did they convert?

I think the results are pretty darn good. A 10.5 ribeye on a mini is nothing to sneeze at. Fact is, you might have made as much money with the good yield grades and the less fat than choice would have gotten you.

Choice select spreads are pretty close now.

Just because it's choice don't mean it's better either. Tenderness is the main characteristic of a good beef eating experience.

Good job!

ollie":2qjaya15 said:
Well I guess I'll be opposite again. I say they were Y1 no matter what you did with them. With REA per hundred weight af 1.3 or better I wouldn't think you could have fed them long enough to be a Y3. Select is probably all they would have ever been at least for a reasonable feed time. The data looked profitable to me. How did they convert?

The past month or so has been awful. 100 degree days, they just aren't eating well enough to gain much. In the cooler weather they were doing great. Fed them a total of about 2100 pounds of grain (to both of them).

SF":1m7ev2y3 said:
ollie":1m7ev2y3 said:

The past month or so has been awful. 100 degree days, they just aren't eating well enough to gain much. In the cooler weather they were doing great. Fed them a total of about 2100 pounds of grain (to both of them).

SF

I am with ollie on part if his post - but - I think if it does not pound your budget you need to buy a scale for the critters. You need to know exactly what they weigh when you start them on feed. Then you can get some accurate numbers.

I disagree with ollie on one point though. I figure you needed to feed them a bit longer. BTAIM I always figured marbling and rib eye to be more genetic than just feed. Probably more than one person will disagree with me but that is MHO.

Pretty decent rib eye for one of them miniatures - might try a different feed mix as well. We have had some very good results with our home grown mix of whole corn, a tiny bit of whole soy beans and some oats or barley with molasses on top. High quality hay and mineral as free choice.

You might try some additional genetics - got any possible prospects in your world?

Still think you might catch the local niche market in a big way if you watch your genetics and work at the finishing.

Regards

Bez'

Bez'":31shgiqf said:
SF":31shgiqf said:
ollie":31shgiqf said:

SF

I am with ollie on part if his post - but - I think if it does not pound your budget you need to buy a scale for the critters. You need to know exactly what they weigh when you start them on feed. Then you can get some accurate numbers.

I disagree with ollie on one point though. I figure you needed to feed them a bit longer. BTAIM I always figured marbling and rib eye to be more genetic than just feed. Probably more than one person will disagree with me but that is MHO.

Pretty decent rib eye for one of them miniatures - might try a different feed mix as well. We have had some very good results with our home grown mix of whole corn, a tiny bit of whole soy beans and some oats or barley with molasses on top. High quality hay and mineral as free choice.

You might try some additional genetics - got any possible prospects in your world?

Still think you might catch the local niche market in a big way if you watch your genetics and work at the finishing.

Regards

Bez'

I don't disagee with anyone on feeding them longer. I chose not to, because I have set a target age of 12 to 15 months for slaughter. May have been a bit optimistic this year, with the dry conditions. Calves were in poor condition when I brought them in off of pasture to put on feed. Then tried finishing them in the hottet months of the summer May have lost a month or so there. But, this is the real world, so they must make it in real world conditions.

I think I have some new genetics growing out in the pasture. He has bred 4 or 5 heifers this summer. You've seen his pics. He is the one we are training the horns on.

I think genetics have a lot to do with carcass results.

Going to pull in a couple early spring calves and put them on feed and try pushing them a little harder and see what the results are. We'll weigh them this time. If you don't mind, send me your feed mix recipe, I'd like to try it.

Thanks
Greg

Those results are nothing to sneeze at. You did well. Get the marbling up and you are set. What was the actual back fat?

Do you have any idea what the hip height of these two were? I know that's kind of a weird question - just curious....

i agree.i dont think your yeld grade was bad on the steers at all.as for the ribbeye ithink you did great.an i think the hanging weight was great as well.the hanging weight on steers is what i watch.scott

cattlemom":rdaz9z77 said:
Do you have any idea what the hip height of these two were? I know that's kind of a weird question - just curious....

40 inches and 41 inches

At what age were they weaned? How long were the steers on full feedlot rations?

It looks to me like the just needed to be on feed longer, they are not finished, judging by the pictures. Not even some of the high marbling Angus will be choice with so little visible fat cover.

I really like that first steer, he is good. A nicer mini steer than a good deal mini-bulls, for sure.

mtnman

:?:
I'm kind'a new to the "mini's". I've never seen them except on the "web".
Are there many guys out there feeding out and making money with them? I always thought of them as toys and/or hobbies. Guess I learned something today!

Latest posts