mineral with aureomycin

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
Heard from a relative who recently lost 8 cows to anaplasmosis. Confirmed my a vet. Vet recommended mineral with aureomycin. Vet is willing to write the VFD. Only place they could find it was some distance away and required a minimum order of 1000#. Pre-VFD we fed a mineral with CTC. Do feed companies still have mineral with CTC (aureomycyin) or is it a special order?

I get it by the 50# bag. VFD is required like Tom said. Sold everywhere around me, and this is not cattle country.

Farmgirl":1g5tewaj said:
Heard from a relative who recently lost 8 cows to anaplasmosis. Confirmed my a vet. Vet recommended mineral with aureomycin. Vet is willing to write the VFD. Only place they could find it was some distance away and required a minimum order of 1000#. Pre-VFD we fed a mineral with CTC. Do feed companies still have mineral with CTC (aureomycyin) or is it a special order?
Prescription only....don't know how dealers could stock it without having ordered it "per script" for specific customer. But I've been wrong before.

TexasBred":2aspxqz9 said:
Farmgirl":2aspxqz9 said:
Prescription only....don't know how dealers could stock it without having ordered it "per script" for specific customer. But I've been wrong before.

Around here by this time of year, these feed stores are really pimping the medicated mineral because they over stocked expecting more VFD's. B&G

The feed mill I use is not carrying it anymore. Said last week they had to buy a large amount to stock it and not enough people has the VFD so they were not going to stock it anymore. I think there is a lot of paper work that they have to do also.

I bet the person that lost the cows has a carrier cow, they need to find out which one it is and send it to slaughter. Make sure it does not go to someone's pasture sell it to be killed

Bryant,

They treated all remaining animals with LA200 or LA300 per vet instructions. I read an article that said even the carrier could be cleared with antibiotics. Don't know much about it. Never had to deal with it, Thank God!

Farmgirl":1dmiitnk said:
Bryant,

They treated all remaining animals with LA200 or LA300 per vet instructions. I read an article that said even the carrier could be cleared with antibiotics. Don't know much about it. Never had to deal with it, Thank God!
good luck with that, hope they changed needles between each cow. I have been down this road before. If one ever gets it and recovers, It aint staying at my place. :2cents:

Farmgirl":jnc0geyq said:
Bryant,

Hope you don't either,but with that misquote outbreak y'all had I'd be Real,maybe even overly' cautious.....

Treatment with injectible oxytetracycline (LA 200/300) WILL NOT 'clear' the infection. You cannot get enough oxytet in a cow, without replacing blood volume with it, to clear the organism.
We used to think that we could clear with two injections, or that animals that survived would clear the infection on their own. We now know that that is NOT the case... it was just that the serologic test we had for the disease was so poor that we 'missed' a large number of the infected animals ... it worked OK on clinically-affected cattle, but missed those persistently-infected 'carrier' cows.

Farmgirl's relatives should be on the lookout for additional cases... the LA will only suppress replication of the Anaplasma organism... if any of those treated animals were early in the incubation phase of the disease, once the antibiotics are depleted, the organism will pick back up right where it left off, and they may have clinical cases and death loses 3-6 weeks or so down the road.
If they treated every animal, they still need to feed (at minimum) a medicated mineral for the remainder of the fly season - but be aware that they're only controlling clinical disease... animals may still become infected, and some may not get enough CTC to prevent developing clinical disease... and any that survive &/or are infected, will be persistently infected for LIFE, and can continue to serve as a source of infection for any naive animals in the herd (or the neighbor's herd across the fence).

CTC can be fed at a high level (4X the approved level in medicated mineral) for 60-80 days and clear most(but perhaps not all) animals... but those 'cleared' animals are subject to reinfection and developing clinical disease (and death) once again. High level feeding is 'extra-label drug use', and may not even be allowed under the current VFD regulations.

Lucky_P":196b5wgr said:
Treatment with injectible oxytetracycline (LA 200/300) WILL NOT 'clear' the infection. You cannot get enough oxytet in a cow, without replacing blood volume with it, to clear the organism.
We used to think that we could clear with two injections, or that animals that survived would clear the infection on their own. We now know that that is NOT the case... it was just that the serologic test we had for the disease was so poor that we 'missed' a large number of the infected animals ... it worked OK on clinically-affected cattle, but missed those persistently-infected 'carrier' cows.

Farmgirl's relatives should be on the lookout for additional cases... the LA will only suppress replication of the Anaplasma organism... if any of those treated animals were early in the incubation phase of the disease, once the antibiotics are depleted, the organism will pick back up right where it left off, and they may have clinical cases and death loses 3-6 weeks or so down the road.
If they treated every animal, they still need to feed (at minimum) a medicated mineral for the remainder of the fly season - but be aware that they're only controlling clinical disease... animals may still become infected, and some may not get enough CTC to prevent developing clinical disease... and any that survive &/or are infected, will be persistently infected for LIFE, and can continue to serve as a source of infection for any naive animals in the herd (or the neighbor's herd across the fence).

CTC can be fed at a high level (4X the approved level in medicated mineral) for 60-80 days and clear most(but perhaps not all) animals... but those 'cleared' animals are subject to reinfection and developing clinical disease (and death) once again. High level feeding is 'extra-label drug use', and may not even be allowed under the current VFD regulations.

Bringing this back up. Lucky_P....Thanks for your explanation of anaplasmosis.

There is a complete herd dispersal tomorrow at a sale barn 100 miles east of me. The herd being dispersed has anaplasmosis and it is not being disclosed. Ethically-this really stinks. The potential damage being done to the unsuspecting buyers and introducing this disease into a possibly naive area is totally irresponsible.

"There is a complete herd dispersal tomorrow at a sale barn 100 miles east of me. The herd being dispersed has anaplasmosis and it is not being disclosed. Ethically-this really stinks. The potential damage being done to the unsuspecting buyers and introducing this disease into a possibly naive area is totally irresponsible." :shock: :shock: Good lord!! :x
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

greybeard":h6ojwvj3 said:
"There is a complete herd dispersal tomorrow at a sale barn 100 miles east of me. The herd being dispersed has anaplasmosis and it is not being disclosed. Ethically-this really stinks. The potential damage being done to the unsuspecting buyers and introducing this disease into a possibly naive area is totally irresponsible." :shock: :shock: Good lord!! :x

I lost two cows to anaplas after buying them from a sale barn a couple of weeks ago. To say I was a little pi$$ed would be an understatement. Morals sure are lacking from some.

Chocolate Cow":1w20ghw7 said:
There is a complete herd dispersal tomorrow at a sale barn 100 miles east of me. The herd being dispersed has anaplasmosis and it is not being disclosed. Ethically-this really stinks. The potential damage being done to the unsuspecting buyers and introducing this disease into a possibly naive area is totally irresponsible.
If I knew this to be a FACT I would feel obligated to get in touch with the sale barn owners and make them aware. Perhaps they would know who to contact higher up the ladder. This is not naive...it's criminal.

J&D Cattle":3hrjc9mf said:
greybeard":3hrjc9mf said:

I lost two cows to anaplas after buying them from a sale barn a couple of weeks ago. To say I was a little pi$$ed would be an understatement. Morals sure are lacking from some.
Did a vet confirm that it was anaplasmosis...?

ALACOWMAN":6yg7kmbl said:
J&D Cattle":6yg7kmbl said:
greybeard":6yg7kmbl said:

Did a vet confirm that it was anaplasmosis...?

Brother of a vet diagnosed them while he was treating another cow for me. He's about as good as we can get around here as all the vets in town focus on small animals unfortunately.

Chocolate Cow":14am6r4d said:
The way 'I' know it to be true is a family member worked for this ranch. The ranch has been sold to the Mormon church but they didn't want the cows.
A church is selling these anaplaz cows? Do they realize the scope of this disease and unethical ramifications?

Latest posts