Mineral tubs with IGR

Help Support CattleToday:

AF Ranch

Reaction score
Considering putting out mineral tubs with IGR. 12 cow/calf pairs + bull............how many tubs should I put out?

1 will work fine. Just position it to fine tune your intake. Closer to water, shade, etc. will increase intake and moving it further from water, shade, etc will decrease intake.

If your neighbors are not using the IGR it will not work for you. I live in Fl and tried it. I had no sucess but I have friends that swear by it only because the other ranches are using it to around them.

atcjets":689gg67y said:
If your neighbors are not using the IGR it will not work for you.

It won't get rid of the flies completely, but it will cut their numbers - sometimes a little, sometimes a lot - because it is keeping eggs/larvae from hatching and/or maturing.

If you use IGR you will kill your dung beetles and your turds will never go away. :shock:

gabby":3t2t14rt said:
If you use IGR you will kill your dung beetles and your turds will never go away. :shock:

Interesting! We've never had tumble bugs around here, but the wildlife pretty well scatter our piles around. I guess they're chasing the larvae that haven't matured.

dun

gabby":24mve4g4 said:
Not according to the manufacturers of Altosid....research shows won't harm dung beetles.

rk":164qnaji said:
gabby":164qnaji said:
Not according to the manufacturers of Altosid....research shows won't harm dung beetles.

Ibedang! If that's true I'll try it. Checking on it now. I sure miss my dung beetles.

My feed store quoted me $17.95 per bag for Altosid or a dollar less per bag if I get a ton. Rabon is $14.95 per bag.

I'm going to spray the cows for flies once a week and use salt mineral blocks. That's what I did for years before I jumped on the bag minerals/fly minerals bandwagon. I've spent a small fortune on it and I can't see where it paid off plus the dung beetles are wiped out.

I'll also give them a bag of all purpose minerals occasionally to supplement the salt mineral blocks.

gabby":1up2u2y0 said:
My feed store quoted me $17.95 per bag for Altosid or a dollar less per bag if I get a ton. Rabon is $14.95 per bag.

I'm going to spray the cows for flies once a week and use salt mineral blocks. That's what I did for years before I jumped on the bag minerals/fly minerals bandwagon. I've spent a small fortune on it and I can't see where it paid off plus the dung beetles are wiped out.

I'll also give them a bag of all purpose minerals occasionally to supplement the salt mineral blocks.
Feed a good mineral.....lot more cost-effectuve than salt mineral blocks.

Fly control isn't a one shot kill. You have to hit from a few different directions to have full control; oral tubs, blocks, boluses, etc., backrubs, face flyps, dust bags, etc. Fly tags or spray of some sort on a fairly regular basis. We vaccinate for pinkeye and fly tag everything, in fact the girls 'll go through the chute this week to get fly tagged. Python Magnum , we only do one tag per year so we don't run into resistance pattern.

rk":1r2pzi0n said:
gabby":1r2pzi0n said:

Feed a good mineral.....lot more cost-effectuve than salt mineral blocks.

Why do grazing cattle need massive amounts of supplemental minerals?

gabby":24tyayrf said:
Why do grazing cattle need massive amounts of supplemental minerals?

They don;t need "massive" amounts of minerals. Grasses are poor converters of minerals to a form that can be used and the amounts they provide are generally fairly low.

dun

The daily cost of Altosid (IGR) is actually a little lower than Rabon. If a Rabon mineral is quoted cheaper than the IGR/Altosid then there is a difference in the mineral formulation.

Data from recent university field work (University of Tennessee stands out most in my mind) indicates that trace mineral availability from forages are actually pretty poor. Forage samples will give the values of the trace minerals in the forage, however, the availability was very low. There are no free lunches. When you consider the improved performance we see in reproduction, growth rates, milk production, etc. in our cattle and many cattle producers haven't kept up with improving their forage program to keep up with the increased nutrition requirements. I have also heard that fertilized forages will improve yields, however, this will alter the pH outside the optimal range for plants to uptake minerals from the soil. [/quote]

Latest posts