mineral question

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron":1ywwiejp said:
Someone else like Randi or RR can probably comment more on this. The main idea behind selling DE was to feed it to calves to get them from eating dirt as young calves.

What is the point of having them not eating dirt?

I am using Cargill Right Now bronze free range beef mineral it has 11.5% calcium and 10.0% phosphorous. I was using the onyx but that is just too expensive now.

The diatomaceous earth is to be given free choice to your calves and they will always find it. They say the cows do not like it but that is not true so you should put it in a feeder where only the calves have access to it. My bag says product of USA so I am sure you can get it anywhere in the states. I go through at least 1 50lb bag a year and the bag costs around 20 dollars.

Dun it is not the dirt so much as the manure in or around the dirt that you do not want the calves licking..You know how new babies are always licking anything and everything. So the earth just makes them go to it instead of dirt with cow sh#t and it fills whatever need they have for licking the ground all the time. ;-) I have not had a single case of coccidiosis since I have been using it.

Thanks for the pic, now where does one get those plastic barrels ? :)

I will also add that when they go out to pasture they do not get DE anymore it is just used when I am feeding hay in feeders..

DE has been on our list of calving supplies for several years now

DE is also a reducer of scours. DE is crushed, ground fossil, from what i have read. Some how it is able to tear at the bugs and viruses that are in the intestines reducing the scour bug load.
Stopping them or reducing the amount of dirt they eat will also reduce the amount of scour bugs or codcisiousis (sp bad I know) they injest. Again reducing the amount of bugs in the system.
We had good results from it. When you buy it you want white or off white powder, not red. You also want to put it in the calf shelters if you have them. You know they are going after the powder when you see nose prints everywhere.
Being that it is fossil ground up, I wonder if it does not increase the calcium in the system of the calf. In the early stages of life, they seem to go nuts for it. But once the grass starts to come, they forget about it.

On a side note, chickens also like to "bathe" in the earth. Helps with lice.

hillsdown":3dd9es5m said:

I got mine from the highway dept. they get them with soap in them.Just have to use ALOT of water to clean out all of the bubbles, must be pretty potent soap.

I built mine like Duns now I'd like to attach a rub to treat for face flies. My buddy cut whats looks like an I in his then took a propane torch anh bent out the pieces, makes it have wings that the wind catchs to turn the hole away from the rain. Not a good discription but I hope can get the idea

Thanks dirtdoctor, I think I might be able to get a couple of barrels from the neighbors dairy. They would have remnants of soap or milk line acid but nothing that a good scrubbing won't get out.

It is either the barrels or build one of those fancy wooden feeder contraptions with a roof and all that has been posted a couple of times..

Thanks again.

dun we have lost calves in the past due to eating dirt, their bellies were full of mud. Couldn't pass anything.

Sorry HD didn't mean to get it going on dirt eating. Hubby was wondering what you were feeding the cows.

hillsdown":3j37vd76 said:
I am using Cargill Right Now bronze free range beef mineral it has 11.5% calcium and 10.0% phosphorous. I was using the onyx but that is just too expensive now.

The diatomaceous earth is to be given free choice to your calves and they will always find it. They say the cows do not like it but that is not true so you should put it in a feeder where only the calves have access to it. My bag says product of USA so I am sure you can get it anywhere in the states. I go through at least 1 50lb bag a year and the bag costs around 20 dollars.

Dun it is not the dirt so much as the manure in or around the dirt that you do not want the calves licking..You know how new babies are always licking anything and everything. So the earth just makes them go to it instead of dirt with cow sh#t and it fills whatever need they have for licking the ground all the time. ;-) I have not had a single case of coccidiosis since I have been using it.

I will also add that when they go out to pasture they do not get DE anymore it is just used when I am feeding hay in feeders..

I'd switch minerals HD. Find something with a real 2:1 ratio for calcium to phosphorus (ie. 16% : 8%). You should notice a dramatic decrease in intake by the cows. It is the calcium they are craving...and they have to consume a lot of 1:1 mineral to get it. :cowboy:

I think I might be able to get a couple of barrels from the neighbors dairy. They would have remnants of soap or milk line acid but nothing that a good scrubbing won't get out.

Pretty much everything comes out if the dairy sticks the milk-line in the barrel during the hot wash. Saves a lot of scrubbing if you can let 60 C + water do it for you.
I do mine as a matter of course before stacking them.

DE is used for scours out here - never used it myself, as my calves don't do much earth-browsing, and the one time a farmer was telling me I should get them on this stuff I went to the vet and he said no, get the dung samples tested, no point in trying to patch up rotavirus with clay...
We don't use free minerals for cattle. I'm very intrigued by your system - I hate dumping stuff in their water so stick with the now-thoroughly-unfashionable daily drenching.

Aaron":1xmwob9w said:
I'd switch minerals HD. Find something with a real 2:1 ratio for calcium to phosphorus (ie. 16% : 8%). You should notice a dramatic decrease in intake by the cows. It is the calcium they are craving...and they have to consume a lot of 1:1 mineral to get it. :cowboy:

Thanks Aaron but the cows aren't the problem it is the calves the cows may go to the minerals once or twice a week . They hardly touch them at all . The mineral I use is specifically designed for my area, but I will ask my nutritionist about it tomorrow. :)

We also feed the cargil right now minerals. We are currently feeding the emerald. We have had great success with this program. The cattle ate it down the first month or so to get the needed levels of the different minerals they were lacking. Now we hardly go threw any. We don't feed the molassis barrels. Found that the cattle were just eating it to eat it. Never noticed any differences with or without them. The calves eat the right now minerals as the adults do. Very little.
We recomend it to all our clients. Have had several clients thats cows were on the barrels and were a bit under weight. Changed over to the right now minerals and they gained weight, the red tint on there back went away and there conception rate went up greatly.
Just my opinion. Hope this helps.
Double R

zman6133":3f470r2t said:
Just a question....is this the same stuff they use to filter pool water?

Yes and No.....DE used for pool filters is heat treated and not recommended for use in animal feed. Get "Feed Grade" DE for your use.

mine did that for the first bag i put out. then they tapered off thru the second bag...after the 3rd or 4th bag they eat it normally now...was like they wanted some part of it and just tore thru it

I have found that salt it the determing factor in mineral intake. To little salt they over eat, to much, the undereat.

This is why I have my mineral mixed with the salt in the loose mineral I buy.

Not saying good for all, but it works for me.

travlnusa":lxohbwxw said:
I have found that salt it the determing factor in mineral intake. To little salt they over eat, to much, the undereat.

This is why I have my mineral mixed with the salt in the loose mineral I buy.

Not saying good for all, but it works for me.
We do that too.

Latest posts