Mineral Quality

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":iognpn6p said:
rockroadseminole":iognpn6p said:
We buy Anipro HiPhos mineral from a local dealer. It comes from Xtraformance Feeds in NE. They ship it by the pallet to our door. I hesitate to say this, but we have not had a single sick cow since we switched to that mineral in Sept 2016. Will switch to High Mag next week for winter grazing then back to HiPhos in the spring.
Do you really need elevated levels of phos in your minerals?? It's one of the most expensive things in the mix.

That's a good question. We acquired a new piece of property that had extremely low soil fertility. Due to that we decided to try the high phos mineral to help with that. It has seemed to work, however as soil fertility improves we might need to change to a more baseline mineral. It's got 7% P, so it's not that much higher.

ClinchValley":1s0t88eu said:
What will be on the ingredients list for a chelated form of minerals? Here I was thinking i had a decent mineral. Will it say "chelated" anywhere?
Clinch Valley, if you find a good source locally will you PM me? I use the Greene and Hawkins County Co-Ops.

greybeard":3ekz7e9w said:
Currently using this. Vitaferm. About $35/sack.

The mineral itself it nothing more than the same old stuff that's been sold for ages. Oxides and sulfates with a bit of copper proteinate. The big draw is the addition of Amaferm (Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract) to it which I am a firm believer in as a finished feed additive, however, the jury is still out on it's effectiveness in increasing fertility or reducing calving intervals. (BTW there is 35 lbs. of Amaferm per ton of mineral so about $7.00 per bag for the Amaferm in each bag.

TexasBred":8c3xiulr said:
5S Cattle":8c3xiulr said:
TexasBred":8c3xiulr said:
5S I've been using Purina All Season AV-4.......all zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt or in amino acid complex form, cattle consume at recommended rates and it's doing a good job. (And I typically hate Purina products) :lol:
Year round?
Yessir.
Yea, my vet recomended it, I do the same. Works fine.

sstterry":37dedcg7 said:
ClinchValley":37dedcg7 said:
What will be on the ingredients list for a chelated form of minerals? Here I was thinking i had a decent mineral. Will it say "chelated" anywhere?
Clinch Valley, if you find a good source locally will you PM me? I use the Greene and Hawkins County Co-Ops.

I love the tool section at the Hawkins Co-Op. But most things seemsawfully expensive compared to Hancock County. I have 6 bags left of what I have. Then the hunt will begin. Let me know if you find a good lead, too. I will do the same.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":qkqtc9j3 said:
Does anyone use Vigortone? I use their 3V4 S formula. Had great improvement in AI program.
TB - what is your take on this product?? I respect your opinion and would really appreciate it.
Jeanne Vigortone has always had a great reputation but personally I think they're lagging behind in continuing to rely on sulfates and oxides in most of their minerals. They do use yeast products in many if not all their products which should improve rumen health which affects almost every function in a cow so definitely could expect a better conception rate in your cattle. I understand perhaps one or two of their minerals now contain some chelates but haven't checked it out. Somewhat pricey but then yeast is expensive too. ;-)

Thanks for that info. Although, that sounds a little alarming. I thought I was told that they used chelated ingredients, but, looking at the label, I don't see anything that says it is???? Makes me wonder. I have to say, I definitely have had better conception AI & Embryos, so I am not complaining. But, you always wonder if you can do better?

pricefarm":6qjyox12 said:
What about this mineral? About the same price as the other one from SS

Just your run of the mill mineral price. Nothing special about it but certainly won't hurt the cattle to eat it.

TexasBred":1s4hredd said:
pricefarm":1s4hredd said:

Just your run of the mill mineral price. Nothing special about it but certainly won't hurt the cattle to eat it.

Thanks TB. Do you think it has enough good stuff in it. They have one more mineral that's suppose to be better but it is about 8$ more a bag.

pricefarm":1e7eeqvd said:
TexasBred":1e7eeqvd said:
pricefarm":1e7eeqvd said:

Thanks TB. Do you think it has enough good stuff in it. They have one more mineral that's suppose to be better but it is about 8$ more a bag.
YEssir everything is pretty elevated in it so you should be ok. Best wishes.

Latest posts