Mineral Quality

Help Support CattleToday:

TB - Yea, I have to agree with you on the Purina. Although I've never hated their products, I wasn't to fond of their prices. I'm using their products now (after a long debate) and can really see a difference in the cattle. I've been using the mineral tubs but will go to the loose mineral here once the tub is finished.

TexasBred":2pk3xbll said:
5S Cattle":2pk3xbll said:
TexasBred":2pk3xbll said:
Depending on the type of chelates. Various types are disclosed s chelates, proteinates and amino acid complexes. Some new stuff out as well called hydroxyl trace minerals but to me their little better than sulfates.
Tb what do you use?
5S I've been using Purina All Season AV-4.......all zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt or in amino acid complex form, cattle consume at recommended rates and it's doing a good job. (And I typically hate Purina products) :lol:
Year round?

5S Cattle":2dykc0os said:
TexasBred":2dykc0os said:
5S Cattle":2dykc0os said:
Tb what do you use?
5S I've been using Purina All Season AV-4.......all zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt or in amino acid complex form, cattle consume at recommended rates and it's doing a good job. (And I typically hate Purina products) :lol:
Year round?
Yessir.

TexasBred":93i8ntt4 said:
5S Cattle":93i8ntt4 said:
TexasBred":93i8ntt4 said:
Year round?
Yessir.
Thanks TB

True Grit Farms":ujwr1jvy said:
For starters a bag of good mineral will cost around $20 - 25. a bag.
Closer to $30/bag here. I have to stay on my local guy to keep it in stock or drive a good distance to get purina W&R.
Still amazed at how many people buy nothing but those red blocks for $7-$8 each and think they're doin great...

I use the vitaferm concept aid 8s year round for the most part, until fly season, then we switch to vitaferm heat with IGR. They may blaze through the first bag of each one when u switch between those two, but my cattle look better, breed better, and perform better than any other mineral we have tried. The down side is we spend about $35 bucks or more for a bag of mineral

Yea, good minerals will cost but I'm becoming a believer in that good minerals make a difference in growth and health of cattle. And in the long run, the cost will pay off.

greybeard" Still amazed at how many people buy [u:156s7aqg said:
nothing but[/u] those red blocks for $7-$8 each and think they're doin great...

I've only had cattle for 10 years but thank God found out in the first year to use a good loose mineral.
I am amazed that vets do not stress that , especially if they know u are not that experienced.
We are in a selenium deficient area so even more important to get the right mineral.
I know people that only had a few head and never fed any minerals and lost a couple of cows and a couple of calves and vet never once asked about minerals.
My vet (really good vet) never told me either.
Had to find out by doing a lot of research.
It should be a basic after water and food!

greybeard" Still amazed at how many people buy [u:12i6xd71 said:

I've only had cattle for 10 years but thank God found out in the first year to use a good loose mineral.
I am amazed that vets do not stress that , especially if they know u are not that experienced.
We are in a selenium deficient area so even more important to get the right mineral.
I know people that only had a few head and never fed any minerals and lost a couple of cows and a couple of calves and vet never once asked about minerals.

ufo_chris":3vu4gerw said:
greybeard" Still amazed at how many people buy [u:3vu4gerw said:

I agree - it should be a basic but for some reason we never get this advice until a lot of times it's too late.

kilroy60":22aht5ne said:
ufo_chris":22aht5ne said:
greybeard" Still amazed at how many people buy [u:22aht5ne said:

I agree - it should be a basic but for some reason we never get this advice until a lot of times it's too late.
Vets have very little if any exposure to nutrition studies during their school years so not a good source for this type info. AND they make their living taking care of sickly cattle. :hide:

True Grit Farms":2pafeexr said:
pricefarm":2pafeexr said:
ClinchValley":2pafeexr said:
How much is a bag of that? IMO I would give it a try.

I get our's at the Washington County (Johnson City), TN Co-Op. Not sure of your location, but they have the best mineral selection i've seen around my area. I believe i pay 17-18 dollars per bag. We have been using Purina 315N. They have quite a few choices.

Iam in Bristol Va. I have been there before but it's really out of my way to go there. I guess I could go and buy a ton at a time so it would last me a while. It was 15$ a bag

https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... 50-lb.aspx
Here's the SS mineral we use when it's not fly season.

That's the same mineral that I feed too.

i AM CURRENTLY USING A SOUTHERN STATES HEIFER MINERAL CALLED REVITALIZE. It is not cheap but it seems to be pretty good and it has some chelates.

We buy Anipro HiPhos mineral from a local dealer. It comes from Xtraformance Feeds in NE. They ship it by the pallet to our door. I hesitate to say this, but we have not had a single sick cow since we switched to that mineral in Sept 2016. Will switch to High Mag next week for winter grazing then back to HiPhos in the spring.

rockroadseminole":28toq9os said:
We buy Anipro HiPhos mineral from a local dealer. It comes from Xtraformance Feeds in NE. They ship it by the pallet to our door. I hesitate to say this, but we have not had a single sick cow since we switched to that mineral in Sept 2016. Will switch to High Mag next week for winter grazing then back to HiPhos in the spring.
Do you really need elevated levels of phos in your minerals?? It's one of the most expensive things in the mix.

TexasBred":3v9xv7aq said:
rockroadseminole":3v9xv7aq said:
Do you really need elevated levels of phos in your minerals?? It's one of the most expensive things in the mix.

I was wondering the same thing....
Around here the university and nutrient management professionals are pushing for lower phosphorous as it is one of the pollutants in the Cheaspeake Bay..Phosphates were banned in laundry detergent years ago.

soil fertility recommendations for crops are based as much on phosphorous soil test as they are on yield goals...

Graybeard,

You are close to me. Where do you buy your mineral? I have been getting it at Producers in Bryan and paying more than $35.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Local feed store that just opened last year, here on the outskirts of Cleveland. He doesn't always have it, but I get it often enough to know the cows like it. I used to go to Producers quite a bit but wasn't saving enough to make the 190 mile round trip worth it on anything except herbicide.