Mineral Feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

BTRANCH

Reaction score
We bought a mineral feeder today and a bag of minerals. Is that all there is to it? Do I need to do anything else?

BTRANCH":3qb7pwo6 said:
We bought a mineral feeder today and a bag of minerals. Is that all there is to it? Do I need to do anything else?

You need to put the minerals in the feeder and put the feeder where the cows can reach it.

dun

I've been looking at this post for 5 min. There just has to be more to say.
I give up. :roll:
Dun, You got it all coverd.

We have 4 two compartment mineral feeders. We put the mineral in one side and a salt block in the other.
Try to avoid putting it in a low area especially if you are in an area where it freezes because if it melts then freezes you will need a tractor to dig it out if you need to move it.
Did you get it for just the cows? Yearlings? Bulls? That is why we have 4, one for each group. Especially in the winter. Be carefull bulls can tear them up. (Ours just did)
We put rub "bullets" on one that is out with our main herd during the summer to help combat face and horn flies.
Hope this is helpful.

I luv herfrds":141ypifz said:
We have 4 two compartment mineral feeders. We put the mineral in one side and a salt block in the other.
Try to avoid putting it in a low area especially if you are in an area where it freezes because if it melts then freezes you will need a tractor to dig it out if you need to move it.
Did you get it for just the cows? Yearlings? Bulls? That is why we have 4, one for each group. Especially in the winter. Be carefull bulls can tear them up. (Ours just did)
We put rub "bullets" on one that is out with our main herd during the summer to help combat face and horn flies.
Hope this is helpful.

NOW THIS IS THE KIND OF ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR! :D :D

If I wanted a smarta$$ answer, I can talk to my teenage children... thanks iluvherfrds for taking the high road.

I bought 3 separate feeders, I was planning on putting one in each pasture, but was not sure if I can feed the same minerals to the cows as I can the calves. Do pregnant cows need something different than nursing cows? These are the "weather vane" type, if that makes sense. We were planning on anchoring down somehow because our bull tears everything up also. My husband just fixed one feeder and has 2 more to do.

dieselbeef what part are you lost on?
We use a Nutrilix 12-12 mineral because it works best for our area. Talk to your vet, and the guys at the feed store can probably help you find out which works best for your area. Every area is different and what you need is probably different from what we need.
We feed it to both replacement calves, yearlings, bulls and cows.
About 2-3 months before calving we put out Nutri-lix tubs for our bred cows. We then put a feeder and a tub out for our pairs. It helps teach the calves to eat the mineral and not dirt.
We have the weather vane type also. It not only lets us know which way the wind is blowing, but help keeps the rain out.
My husband has suggested getting a different type of feeder for your bulls because anchoring will allow them to tear them up more quickly. Our ripped the entire top off of the feeder so it is now in two pieces, the top and bottom.

Sorry, Just have not matured any past the age of 17.
I guess it was to much fun. Now if I could just git rid of these dang wrinkles. :lol: :lol:

novatech":12jyugao said:
Sorry, Just have not matured any past the age of 17.
I guess it was to much fun. Now if I could just git rid of these dang wrinkles. :lol: :lol:
I like your answer and feel like that sometimes but try not to admit it.

I have some cows and calves together .. I bought a bag of mineral that said "cow/calf" on it dumped the bag in a old protein tub and put it in the barn where they all can get at it and it wont get wet... they have a mineral block there to...

they have been using it a month er so... and they aint died ...so I reckon it is workin....

dont let the smart $#@@ answers scare ya away... I have gotten a lot of em but I dont let it keep me from askin cuzz fer every smart $%# answer I get 4 good ones that really help me out. and ya soon learn who to ignore and who really knows there stuff...

well Thats my 2 cents....p.s.
Dun really knows his stuff.... :cboy:

Talk to someone local, maybe the feed store you buy the minerals from. If you are using a general purpose loose mineral free choice, it should be good for all your cattle. They will eat what they need and leave it alone when they don't need anything.

I found a good way to find out that they are in need of minerals, I let my run out a few months back and when I filled it up, they made a bee line to the hanging feeder. The feeder stays full now and they only eat it when their body tells them they need it.

My personal opinion is to find a local dealer that you trust who can help you put together a good program for your herd. Once again, in my opinion, one specific mineral won't be the best option for every cow on the place. Brood cows have differing needs at different stages of products and certainly have different needs of steers, backgrounders, etc. plus the options of adding medications (CTC, Bovatec, Rumensin), fly controls, dewormer, etc. Start with the forages you have and see where the shortfalls compare with the cattle's nutritional needs. Then select the appropriate supplements to meet their needs while you may address some management for deworming, fly control, growth promotion, etc. Just my 2 cents worth.

dun":59w9ah78 said:
BTRANCH":59w9ah78 said:

You need to put the minerals in the feeder and put the feeder where the cows can reach it.

dun

Thats what popped in my mind as well. Does that make me a smart @ss? :lol:

Latest posts